So how do you enjoy your EXPENSIVE Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Do you guys get good "use" out of your high end figures? Do you handle your Masterpiece figures? How often do you take out your vintage Target Master Cyclonus? Do you zoom around the living room floor with Alternator Swerve?

I have bins of treasured figures that haven't seen the light of day in years. I like the idea that they're safe from sunlight, wear and tear, mishaps, etc... but I have always thought this was an odd way to enjoy figures.

What high end figures do you handle often? How are they holding up to the wear and use?

Any regrets?

2. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

yes! i frequently play with them, in so far as i move them to a different location and repose my more expensive figures. probably more than the little ones tbh, since the deluxes seem to go loose so much sooner.

unfortuntely as a direct result i lost leader prime's gun, and paid an absolutely extortionate sum for a new one and the guy never even bothered to leave me any feedback :(  hardly a "i broke black zarak trying to juggle him and black god ginrai" story, but there you go.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I play around with, and manipulate, my expensive TFs just as much as the inexpensive ones. I'm careful with all of them, of course, but I bought them to manipulate and play around with, not as an investment, so I'm not going to let expense prevent me from doing that.

The only ones I don't play with much are my Masterpiece figures, but that's more because the majority of them are potentially fragile (Starscream mold, Megatron) or just a general pain in the ass (Megatron).

4. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Most of mine are on display.

The only expensive ones I can't bring myself to open are simply because at one point they were also my "Grails" and opening them just feels wrong.

The list includes;
    Varidia Starscream
    Matrix Glow Magnus
    Diaclone/Pre-Movie Magnus
    G2 Black Sideswipe (Which used to belong to the Hartmans).

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I don't really have many "expensive" (i.e. $50+) Transformers, but the few I do have see plenty of use. My MP Grimlock acts as my bartender, decked out in his apron and tie right on my bar, so he sees lots of use. My FP CC set gets transformed all the time because it's such an awesome set. I don't really mess with my Alts or G1s though because the Alts are too much of a pain to transform and the G1s are too easy.

I generally don't go after super expensive figures though, but I'd play with all my toys regardless

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The care I take has more to do with the fragility than the price. I can get a loose Bristleback robot only pretty cheap, but I still barely touch mine. He goes right from the shell to Monstructor's shoulder and back. I've had one break on me and I don't want to repeat the experience.

Botcon Thrust, by comparison, sometimes rides my dog. :lol 

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If the price is so high that it intimidates me, I wouldn't buy it. I buy it, I play with it. I share my TFs with my kids except for BT-17, because I don't want the paint chipped.

Of course my kids know not to touch them with grubby hands though!

8. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

A little wine, a little soft music, and an open mind.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i play with them and pose them the same as any others, i just take more time to open them and do the initial transformation as to not stress it...............

10. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I'm MISB anyway, so from a distance. It brings to mind the fact that I recently got a pretty good deal on Takara MP Skywarp. Since I'm not going to open the thing, I guess I'm going to just appreciate the box art. Damn. Didn't really think that through. There's someone at takara thinking "if we can somehow figure out which ones will never be open, we can just throw in, say, 25 decoys we have laying around".

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I definitely point out the expensive ones to people more often. I was like a little kid the other day showing off my Buster Prime and I have been messing w/ my "Nemesis" RotF Leader Prime non-stop. Others like like BT-17 and BT Mirage get some playtime, but since I have cheaper alternatives to mess w/, I am more apt to leave those guys alone and fiddle w/ the main-line stuff instead.

Expensive stuff is definitely there to showcase the coolness of my collection, but people (including myself) are more than welcome to play w/ any figure I have.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Bow-chicka-bow.......wait, what?

13. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I would say I handle my "expensive" (i.e...Masterpiece, Binaltech figures) transformers pretty frequently. Just last night I took a bunch out and transformed and "re-posed" some of them for display, including Masterpiece Megatron, Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Masterpiece Grimlock, and Binaltech Tracks, Binaltech Wheeljack, and Alternity Cliffjumper.

I personally don't feel the same as other fans, I suppose. Although I worry about Megatron's fragility, I don't feel that his transformation is a "pain", and I honestly enjoy transforming him(although I try to keep myself from playing with him too frequently). His transformation, to me is complex and satisfying. As for the Alternator/Binaltechs I also find that they are fun and satisfying to play with, and don't have the problems transforming them that others seem to have. I honestly don't think they are that complex.

14. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i played with my 20th anniversary optimus prime to death.....he now sits in my cabinet with two broken knee joints......i hate my brothers.......for about a year the only g1 i had seen was the movie and the return of optimus prime two-parter......lets just say prime died alot and would always come back haha lol but yea i play with whatever tranformer comes my way......including my fort max.....i decided just to crack out the minicons and legends and i went to town haha

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't pay more than 50 US American Dollar Bills for any Transformer. With that said, I play with all my transformers. I play with my Music Label Micky Mouse as much as the rest of them. I take a little care with ones that I see stress marks on like Animated Wreck Gar.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Basically this. I did get my MPs just to display though, so I don't pick them up and fiddle around with them as much as a normal toy.

17. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I'm pretty paranoid....so I keep transformation & different poses to a minimum, to avoid wear and tear as good as possible.

My solution is to buy 3 or more of the same TF. Then I keep 1 in robot mode, 1 in altmode and at least 1 MISB.

Although, a minority of my TF's which I've 'labeled' as playstuff, I do regularly transform. Also, I am NOT going to make the
    mistake anymore to let small kids handle my TF's. Family members will just have to understand its my collector stuff.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Regardless of price, toys are still toys. Despite being among the cheaper things I've bought, my Masterpieces (DVD Prime and G1 Starscream) are posed and displayed on my shelf. I've actually paid more for Classics and Henkei figures, and those are still posed and displayed like usual.

19. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I play with mine, because they're usually that much cooler.

20. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I'll play with all of them quite a bit except for MP Megatron. I'd probably brave it more if an over-sized gun fit in with the display, but I want his giant-ass robot mode hovering over my MP Seekers and Alternator Decepticons.