So, Hotrod is made in Primus' image... Awkward...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, May 19, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

According to several official canons, in real Transformers continuity, it would seem that Hot Rod is intended to be portrayed as the son of Primus. It's interesting. So the son of the Transformers' God was a leader of the Autobots and couldn't hack it.

Even if the fact that he looks exactly like him in almost every iteration doesn't necessarily make him his "father", per se, it doesn't speak very well of Primus' sense of judgment. Make the kid look just like you to signify he's the chosen one, and it turns out he's a manic depressive who can't stop questioning himself and eventually has to be bailed out by Optimus.

Way to do the old man proud, Roddy. ;p

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love that Dr. Smoov Return of Optimus Prime video where Prime says to Rodimus "You've run this organization right into the f***ing groun, 'Hot Rod', best thing you can do is bring me back to life to fix your problems....probably the best move as leader you ever made". Even though that's a joke, it's pretty true.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I respect what the writers were trying to do with the character of Rodimus, it was something different, something more "complex"... But when it comes to the leader of the Autobots, you don't need any more complexity than Optimus. I could write a hundred pages on Optimus' personal philosophy, a paradigm of compassion and wisdom, yet a warrior who fights in the name of freedom with the requisite ferocity of one with the fate of the universe in his hands.

Makes Rodimus look like a snivelling pussy, which by comparison he was. As Dr. Smoov indicates in the vid you mentioned, at least he had the presence of mind to honcho the mission to bring Optimus back!

4. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I dunno. I prefer less-experienced and gruffer Optimi (Optimus Primal) or younger and... Less experienced Optimi (TFA OP) to G1 OP.

5. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    Even more interesting is that one of the earlier portrayals of Primus looked very similar to Rodimus. Takara even made a gold lucky draw Rodimus by the name of God Primus.
    Which is weird considering Rodimus was a pretty crappy leader compared to his predecessors.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, but the whiny Rodimus from the cartoon is the one that everyone is using for comparison. There was no Primus in the G1 cartoon....

7. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

A good friend of mine once said that the only way Rodimus Prime could have been cool was if he made a heel turn.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Just goes to show that nepotism is never a good way of determining management.

9. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Keep in mind that when Furman came up with the concept of Primus, Rodimus Prime was the standing Autobot leader. The movie had established Roddy as being the "Chosen One"; its obvious that Furman ran with that. Furthermore, I'll remind everyone that in the UK, the primary TF medium wasn't the cartoon, but rather the comics (which Furman himself was writing). I wouldn't be surprised if Furman had no idea just how Roddy was being portrayed in the cartoon, or how fans were reacting to him across the pond. UK comic Rodimus Prime is nothing like cartoon Rodimus Prime.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well the mortal Children of Greek Gods don't tend to do so well, they always stumble and fall at some point. so You could saw there is precedent for Rodimus.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm just kind of echoing the sentiments expressed already, but it is only in the G1 cartoon that Rodimus Prime is an ineffective leader.

In the UK comic, Rodimus is clearly a different entity.

The G1 cartoon had no Primus to speak of at all.
    The Transformers had no idea who Unicron was.
    Kup said "So that's the monster's name" when he was told, and if Cybertron was Primus in mortal coil, Unicron seemed unconcerned with it.
    "For a time I considered sparing your wretched little planet, Cybertron."

And, back in the 80s when there was almost no continuity in cartoons at all, it's impressive that the G1 show creators were trying to give character development to Rodimus Prime, but the problem lies in the fact that he went through the same arc of shrugging\accepting responsibility no less than three times.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Where are you getting the idea that HotRod/Rodimus Prime was intended to be the son of Primus???

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Aren't all Cybertronians the sons and daughters of Primus anyways?

14. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    Okay, this makes more sense then. I'm not very familiar with the old Marvel and UK comics (not really too familiar with the modern comics either) so I don't really know how Hot Rod/Rodimus was portrayed besides in the G1 show.

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think what the writers of the animated G1 series was pretty good and innovative for their time, as in they tried "character development" with Rodimus Prime.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall Kup saying that Optimus had similar issues in the "Burden Hardest to Bear".

16. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    That's true, but I don't buy it for a second :) 

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think too many fans are dismissive of Rodimus Prime's cartoon depiction, which is, quite frankly, a more mature depiction of a character than was seen in the rest of the series.

I loved the some of the more clever stories of Season 3, like when Rodimus psyches out Galvatron and calls his bluff in "The Ultimate Weapon", which is more intelligent and ultimately more satisfying than a simple brawl. While it was only used as a catalyst for Rodimus Prime's latest crisis, The Burden Hardest to Bear showed something the cartoon rarely dealt with - the politics of collateral damage from an alien war that Earth was dragged into. Rodimus Prime was considerably younger than most of the Autobots under his command, but he's expected to lead the Autobots to victory and maintain a balancing act of keeping Earth happy. I could see why he snapped in that episode.

Besides, modern depictions of G1 Optimus Prime when he first becomes Autobot leader tends to be similar to the depiction of cartoon Rodimus Prime - introspective, unsure of himself and the mantle that has been bestowed upon him. Optimus Prime had the benefit of a (largely unseen) time period where he gradually grew into the Optimus Prime we see on Earth, so it's totally, totally unfair for fans to say Rodimus Prime is a "pussy" because he didn't IMMEDIATELY become an Optimus Prime clone.

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. Good point.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He's probably working from some of the supplementary fiction, most likely from Japan. Don't know where it's stated off-hand, but it might have something to do with the gold-plated "Primus" figure, using the Rodimus Prime mold. I think the idea is that Rodimus is less of a "son", and more of a physical incarnation of Primus, constructed in his image as the chosen one to defeat Unicron.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    In "Burden Hardest to Bear", Kup says that Prime went through the same stage of doubt that Rodimus was going through. Rodimus just needed a few million more years to get as good as Prime. I get tired of everyone ripping on Rodimus so hard. Had we not all cried so hard that they decided to bring Prime back, we'd have seen Rodimus become more competent. He very well could have lived up to the "son of Primus" reputation.

As for where this "son of Primus" stuff comes from, I always got it from the original comic. Pre-Cybertron Primus looked like a gold Rodimus. Kinda lending to the whole "chosen one" aspect. He was in his image.