So...glue REALLY does work wonders!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Knightdramon, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I've seen many threads where people were asking how to strengthen ball joints on older figures, most of the recommendations were either paint over it, nail polish or glue. I personally painted over the joints, rarely used nail polish.

Tonight I had it with my GF Autovolt. A figure I wanted for years but only managed to acquire recently, he's a mediocre figure at best but the ball joints on mine were loose. Any loose joint on a non played transformer of mine infuriates me.

Since I didn't think much of the figure, I figured I'd experiment with some glue I had in the apartment. Disassembled the figure and applied a layer of glue over the weak ball joints, then struggled to pop them back together.

After just a second, I was afraid I'd break the joint. It held together THAT well. No, hold it. It held better than that. His joints are now the stiffest I own among all the ball-jointed TF figures I've handled.

Will check back in the morning to see if the plastic crumbled and if he still transforms, but nevertheless, don't waste your time with paint or smelly nail polish. Apply glue. NOW.

...If only it'd fix the damn shoulders on my walmart crankcase...nothing I've tried stiffened those up.

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Yep, it does work pretty well! Gotta be careful that you don't accidentally glue the parts together, though.
    I've been using Future Finish floor wax on my loose joints and it seems to work very nicely as well. I even like the smell! :D 

3. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i havent tried anything else but glue, and it works great, i agree

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I have yet to do this so I am assuming by Glue you mean Super Glue?

5. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

The infamous super glue trick sure work wonders on balljoints. Thanks to that, my MP Megatron can hold his fusion cannon and stand just fine with his strengthened ankles, as well as a lot of my other TFs, like Classic Sunstreaker & Sideswipe ankles, BT Broadblast, BT Jazz, and a lot of others.

Just make sure you don't over do it applying a layer of super glue too thick on the ball. Most TFs have ABS hard plastic ball & socket joints. They have much less tolerance, and the socket can stress or crack if you thicken the ball too much. So just a thin layer of glue evenly on the ball will do. If the socket is made of softer PVC material (on other action figures), then it can take a thicker ball without breaking or tearing the socket.

Use liquid superglue that came with a brush for best results, like the Future Glue that I've been using for years fixing all my loose figures and TFs.

6. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Yeah, that's what I've been using too. And yeah, it does smell kind of nice.

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Loctite Super Attack does wonders :) 

8. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I use a glue stick for loose joints. However, the glue wears off in a few weeks. Then, I have to reapply it to the joints again.
    This is at I do-- I apply glue to ball joints, wait til it dries off, then reconnect joints with rest of TF. I did this mainly with Lockdown and Animated Prowl. Am I doing something wrong?

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I love the smell of future. Mmm. It's a nice no-fuss, no-danger approach too, as it's easily removable if something goes wrong.

10. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    :sly2: 

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. You're using a gluestick. That stuff doesn't bond to plastic. It's paper glue. All that will do is dry into a hard plasticky shell, and crack off at a moment's notice.

You need to use superglue, something that will actually bond to the plastic.

Alternately, the aforementioned Future Floor Finish works quite well, so I'm told. I tried nailpolish before, and it just wears down after awhile and needs to be reapplied. Superglue is damned near permanent. Thereby,you might want to practice your technique on less critical - ie. easily replaced - figures, in case you screw it up. Just needs a few quick dabs along the joint surface, and constant movement to spread the glue around and to ensure it doesn't permanently bond the two pieces together.

12. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Actually, you want to pop off the ball joint from the socket completely, THEN you add a thin layer of glue on ball and wait for the glue completely dried and hardened before popping the ball joint back in, to get the best results. Having the joints still connected and put glue on is quite risky. You can keep moving the joints so they don't get permanantly bonded, but you get such a messy surface by the constant rubbing of the glue before it completely dries. Not recommended.