So do vendors really jack up the prices of Tfs at BOTCONs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by BigRC83, May 1, 2009.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    So do vendors jack up the prices of Tfs at BOTCONs?

Just wondering.

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly can't speak for anyone else, but I personally do not raise my prices for the convention.

Honestly, in my experience this is something of a myth, and I've been attending since 1999, even before I was going as a dealer.

3. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say they do. The current items, including imports, always seem the same to me.

As for the g1 stuff, there's not really many big online vintage dealers that also set up show at BotCon. The g1 stuff there the past couple of years have been overpriced, and that's compared to eBay which is expensive compared to the forums as-is.

Hopefully being on the west coast though, hopefully we get some fresh dealers and fresh items, at reasonable prices (for vintage stuff).

4. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really didnt notice many price hikes up at last years botcon. I do hope i can catch some good deals this year also. But i would say for the G1 stuff around ebay prices maybe a little more.

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I've never noticed a markup on vintage per say but I do notice that certain dealers tend to have their stuff priced higher than say I would have or that others are selling for. My best piece of advice is look around first but if it's something you have been looking for or if you think it's a great deal, you might want to jump on it. I do know that the best deals go quickly and I mean QUICKLY. Usually at the Friday early bird preview, well worth it IMO.

6. BigRC83

News Credits:
    Going a bit off topic, but I thought early bird attendance is that Saturday at 9am.

7. megamus

News Credits:
    Sorry sleepy you are correct, Saturday

8. transformers32

News Credits:
    Yeah that is true. I missed out on a complete jetfire for a pretty good price and kept thinking about it and bam i want back and it was gone. So yeah if you see something and its a good deal then get it.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Like megamus said check around before you buy, bt clear mirage was a good example of this lastyear,

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Check before you buy, but also do you homework before you step in the dealer room. If you feel like you see a deal, jump on it. Don't wait then come back, by then it might be gone. I found prices to be fair at Botcon. Some dealer had some good deals on stuff. I got a reissue Star Convoy missing the Hotrod figure for like $10.00.

11. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should definitely make sure you have the cash on you. Last year the ATM ran out of cash and I had to walk to the bank. By the time I got back my $75 Binaltech Hot Rod was gone. Some dealers will hold items but some won't. Remember to negotiate. I traded with BBTS several times.

12. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    as a dealer for the last 4 years running, I do not JACK Up my prices. I go to botcon to see the friends that I have made over the years and to get items Im looking to add to my private collection. The road trips in the pass years and the airplane ride this year and hotel bills do not get add into the price of my toys.

13. megamus

News Credits:
    I go back to my original statement. There is a Private Sales Experience on Friday from 2pm to 5pm. In my experience a lot of great deals are made then.

14. transformers32

News Credits:
    That is for primus holders isnt it?

15. megamus

News Credits:
    I did say it was worth the extra charge!!!

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. That's when I usually do the majority of my Botcon toy shopping; the rest of it is pretty much browsing for random stuff.
    I've rarely seen prices jacked up on vintage stuff, but I have seen some daft prices on more recent figures. Some of the prices on ROTF at BC07 were painful, and the same with Animated last year.

17. megamus

News Credits:
    Oh yeah I remember the Animated fiasco a few years ago. I was surprised that anyone would pay that much for toys that were in the stores. I just hope vendors don't jack up the price too much on Henkeis I still need to complete mine and want to walk away with all appendages.

18. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking as a dealer who's done every Botcon since the first one, I can tell you that the prices I mark my toys at for a show are the same prices I charge at my store. In fact, seeing as I'm in the midwest, I usually see my stuff a little underpriced compared to other dealers who attend the show.

As far as Vintage stuff goes, the prices are going up on G1, G2 and Beast Wars because it's getting very hard to find a lot of these figures to resale. The very few that came into my store the past six months were either in a condition that I couldn't resale them or the owner wanted me to pay the same prices for them that they saw on E-bay. So if I want to bring these toys to Botcon in great shape, I'm having to pay more for them. And sorry for the economics lesson here, but no dealer is going to go thru the time and expense of doing a show if they don't make money.

Speaking of making money... The reason the Animated toys were so high on certain tables last year is because the dealers had to buy them at retail to sell them. To make a profit, they had to charge more than retail. (some were too high in my opinion but that's them not me.) Personally, I understand the cries of anguish from the fans over the high prices, but they had the same opportunity to purchase them as the dealers did. Honestly, if a new toy is too expensive to you at a show, don't buy it. Wait for it to be released in your area. There are exceptions to this of course, but every one of those Animated toys sold last year were mass released in heavy numbers.

As a wise man once said, the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

19. BigRC83

News Credits:
    Only for Primus holders?

20. transformers32

News Credits:
    for people who get a primus package. I remember i bought reissue astrotrain last year as my first purchase during the early bird thing on friday.