So, bought this on EBAY

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300178658205&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Notice the description, thought it was a fantastic price. Got this:

Notice the "yellowing" on the shoulder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, if you can see from my pics, tabs broken on the arm armor:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I email the seller and get this response:

Dear jwb287,

First issue: armor
    I have no explantion unless it got damage in route, because I transformed him back and fourth and never had a problem with anything being loose.
    Second issue: Shoulder
    I believe I did repair it, but long ago with a two part plastic epoxy kit which turns a little yellow. I think it took me a while to shape that to match the other shoulder but never painted it.
    If there are no other concerns, thank you for taking care of him and I hope you enjoy his company as much as I did. Being I have two sons I can see these legends being trashed lol.

Interesting, because they way it was shipped the armor was still attached to the arms, and it was barely on at that point. Inspection of the box and packaging showed no red tabs.

Further, as I replied, I am curious why he never mentioned the break and repair of the shoulder with the epoxy. Any suggestions of how to handle this?

Thanks!

2. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well I would ask for your money back. The armor is not as described. No mention of the shoulder damage. Sorry that Jetfire is not as described in the auction.

If he doesnt, I would dispute it with Ebay and paypal (if you paid that way).

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

He does state there is yellowing in areas and does say to ask questions...

I guess you could ask for a return/refund, but it's hard to say if he'd be wrong if he refused.

4. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Well, it's not the yellowing I have a problem with. Yes, he stated that and there is light yellowing on a few areas, but the fact that it was damaged and he mentioned it was in great shape, along with the armor being in tact, is my issue. It is hard to tell from the pic, but it that yellowing on the shoulder is a big glob of epoxy that sticks out. It leaked onto the back a little as well. Looks bad.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Fight for a refund. Nuff said.

6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

How was the packaging? If it was crappy, it could be damage while in transit like he said. He did also say he had no excuses, so I'd ask if he'd be willing to refund the money in light of his not disclosing the repairs and the damage in transit from shoddy packaging.

He has over 200 feedback, but for selling, if it isn't MISB new, 200 is too risky for me to chance.

7. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    It was decent. He had some armor on the figure and some in a bag, which was weird.

I think I will ask for a refund. Thanks guys for your input. I would rather get my 90.00 back and put a little extra and get a better figure.

8. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I personally think you're being too picky. You bid on a used item, and he did say there was some yellowing, hence he wasn't hiding anything from you. No where in his description does he mention this toy being in excellent condition. So IMO you bid on a used item, you got a used item, and the seller didn't lie in this situation. Honestly that Jetfire looks like it's in pretty good condition compared to some of the others that I've seen. If also seems like the seller is being resonible in his responses. Instead of asking for a refund why not see what he is willing to offer you before you try to escalate this to something worse.

9. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Thank you for your input, and I did just send him another PM about this, and specifically stating that I don't want to take this to a claim status and that hopefully we can work this out between us. He has perfect feedback as do I, and I have no reason to want to damage that on any end.

HOWEVER, I am sorry you think I am being picky. Yes, it is used, but he did not disclose a major damaged area - in this case a broken shoulder, repaired with epoxy that is ugly and stands out like a sore thumb- and, intentional or not, it is a form of lying. I have no problem with it being used or yellowing, but I have no need for a repaired item. If he had stated that, it would have been one thing. He did not.

10. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

The auction does say that all armor pieces in intact, which would mean not broken. If you filed with Ebay/Paypal you would win because it wasn't as described. And no you aren't being too picky. I would be the same way about anything I bought.

11. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I would dispute that. He should have disclosed the repairs.

You should mention that your a collector and that you would have no need for a damaged piece.

12. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    My opinion: a partial refund isnt out of the question but a full refund I think is asking too much. Other than that one repair area, it looks pretty good overall. And those tabs on the arm armor are pretty easy to break. My (actually my brother's which I inherited) original Jetfire is missing at least one and my brother was very anal with his toys.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    With that said, take it to eBay/PayPal as item misrepresentation. He sold it with it being in "great" condition which may indicate light wear, but a FIXED unpainted shoulder he tried to pass off and broken parts? The fix alone practically devalues the piece.

When I pay for something online, I expect to receive it in new (as I get with retailers) or in the condition described in the item description. If there is something off, I'm going to say something. I'd fight for a FULL refund because of the undisclosed repair alone as that almost ruins the value of the figure. Try reselling the item, and you'd see what I mean.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think you're being picky at all. The shoulder has been repaired and the armour is broken. To be blunt, it is NOT in the condition he specified in the auction.
    I would push for a partial refund, but I doubt you'd get the whole amount back.

15. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am going to ask for 20.00 back. I would honestly be happy with that, seeing as I really think the guy is honest, just forgot/overlooked it. It is highly possible he had not TF'd it in years, but given the price and the shipping especially, I think he just made a mistake. 20.00 buys me a new armor for leg and arm, which I have already ordered (yeah, noticed the leg was missing a huge chunk again last night), but I don't wanna screw the guy off an honest mistake.

I will take some white paint and try to sand down/repaint that epoxy...

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

EDIT: Guess I should have read teh post above me... sorry Jeremy!

He's a pretty good looking Jetfire. And I think it would be a little silly to let this one go over a few fixable issues.

Armor:
    Keep your eyes on the Junkion. Since I got my Jetfire, I've seen a ton of pieces there. I purchased from Megamus to help complete mine! Even if you got the piece from eBay you might spend $10, which would be a whole lot easier than asking for your $$$ back.

The Yellowing and shoulder fix:
    I'd just paint it and be careful articulating that joint. I mean at least the shoulder is attached.

Some might even say the completeness alone of this figure makes it worth what you paid. For that price it should be yellowed and broken, but the fact it has the gunclip and all the armor!

Just my thoughts :) 

17. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I agree with what has been said so far. He should definetely had listed that it had been repaired.

The $20 refund you ask for I think is very reasonable.

As for fixing the armor. Get hold of Loctite Super Attak. Put a minor drop of glue on each tap. Let it dry and when it's dry put another drop on it. In the end you'll end up with small taps you can form with some sandpaper and them the armor will attach. Lastly you can paint them red. This I've done on hundreds of armor pieces and it works flawlessly.
    The shoulderhinge, get some sandpaper and make it a smooth area and then paint it with some Humbrol white satin to get it glossy and it won't turn yellow over time.

18. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This thing has a replacement part on it from repairs he did himself, and it wasn't mentioned in the description, so you have EVERY RIGHT to ask for a full refund. If the seller is a good guy, and all that positive feedback would lead me to believe he is, he should accept the refund. Regardless of the condition of the rest of the toy, it's still a broken and repaired item and was not sold as such. I believe the seller just forgot about the fix, but that doesn't mean you're not entitled to a refund if you want one.

As for people saying you're being too picky, that is completely rediculous. Why should anyone accept something that's been broken if they weren't intending to buy a damaged piece?

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, besides a few fixable issues I'd say you got a good Jetfire. For the price you paid it should have more problems with it.

Now, I will say that he should have listed what was wrong with the item and it's possible he just forgot. Either way I'd say you're in the right to ask for a partial refund. If you were to ask for a full one though I'd say that you need to return the Jetfire to the seller. In any case, good luck and hopefully he gives you that $20.

20. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Absolutely - I think I would have had a valid reason to return it for a full refund, but if I had gotten that there is no way I would have kept it.

Thanks for your input, everyone has given me great advice, and I think I may just keep it and scrounge around for a junker with a solid shoulder. I have already picked up an arm armor and leg armor for 20 bucks on Ebay.

Those of you who made points about the price I paid, you hit the nail on the head. After thinking about it, great price for something that can be corrected eventually. Now the red that rubbed onto the wings that was stated in the auction, that should come off with isoporyl alcohol, right?