So are all original G1 missile launchers neutered?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the many vintage G1 figures I have owned/currently own (and had in my childhood) every single missile launcher has shall we say, been somewhat... limp. In fact, they have all been neutered to such an extent that the missile simply "sighs" its way forward a few milimetres (often not clearing the launcher at all) when the button is pushed.

Now, I know the Hasbro originals never had the 3ft+ shooting power of the Takara reissues, but can anyone confirm that they all were really as limp as they now appear?

Such a fuss was made when the Hasbro TRU reissues had non-functioning launchers, but it seems to me that that isn't really MUCH less than what we got in the 1980s....

2. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the plus side, it meant that there are less missing parts than if the springs had been more powerful and so good news for collectors :D 

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, the original Hasbro figures were just about the same. Hasbro fought against the idea that spring-fired weapons were needed as a gimmick until G2.

4. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

my original G1 metroplex's red guns fired his missles just fine...

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As Transformers were released in 1984 in the wake of the Battlestar Galactica Cylon Raider missile launcher thing, the neutered launchers were a reaction to that issue. Guys like Metroplex who came later were not as affected simply due to the passage of time and other toys proving it could be done. Although it was not until Generation 2 there were lots of strong launchers.

6. Master_Maximus

Master_Maximus Unicron's Headmaster

Plus the Metroplex missiles were longer and less of a choking hazard. Though I do remember the launchers that came with Bonecrusher and Scavenger actually got some distance on them (and mine had a hair trigger which SUCKED when in Devastator mode), when redone for G2 they took the launcher part out completely. But yeah, for the most part all the G1 launchers were neutered for safety reasons.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    This was pretty much what I was going to say.

Every toy missle launcher was neutered for a few years to the point where they could barely clear the launcher. While later ones had some power, it was still nothing compared to earlier launchers which could shoot your eye out with.

By the time G2 rolled around, watchdog groups were less concerned and the missles were far larger, which along with the giant types seen with Laser Prime and Hero Megatron also helped skirt the issue despite some stronger launchers.