So after a week of reflection on seeing it, a few problems.(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by R.I.N.G.R.A.M., Jun 26, 2009.

1. R.I.N.G.R.A.M.

R.I.N.G.R.A.M. 2nd Medic of Team Zissou

> who were those bikes?
    > Who was the silver dude with sword type hands?
    > Cool! An Audi r8! Wait, no, dont die! who were you?
    > That random blue electric dude, where the hell did he come from?
    > The little blue rc car guy was cool but what was he called?
    > I thought the helicopter died in the first film?
    > Wait a minute, I know that military vehicle that turned up at the end, didnt prime cut his head off in the first movie????
    > Who were all those random similar looking bad guys at the end?
    > Where and what was that place megatron flew to when he was revived?
    > What was the point of those hatchlings starscream is making?
    > Why was the fallen tied up and unable to move?
    > When the fallen told the world his message, where was the mass hysteria and panic?
    > Dangling testicles?
    > Humping a leg? seriously?
    > Who died? Who survived? Who knows?
    > The scorpian one! He's back! No wait he's dead again. Bit pointless?
    > I thought bumblebee's voice was fixed?
    > Oh look, theres ratchet! he is in the film.
    > What the fudge was that blue electric gun the military fired?
    > Why did the fallen get killed after 10 seconds of fighting?
    > What the **** was that dream sequence about?

And, to make it worse, im sure ive missed quite a few as well. Pretty much all of these questions and more have been asked of me by my gf, my brother, his gf, my mates etc.... over the past week.

For me, a film generating this many questions should never have been released in the first place and tells me one thing. Bay really needs to let go of this. Just move on. Id keep orci and kurtzman because I think they can actually write a decent 'big screen' style story, its just that once michael has bay'ed it up a bit, it gets a bit silly and rubbish.

I loved the first one, and kinda liked this one too but this had a lot of potential, and fundamentally its not a bad film, just deeply deeply flawed, doesnt make sense and for me, is not as good as the first one. Its a shame, because you can see the bits that work well and in some cases extremely well (I actually liked Soundwave's role after all the hoopla caused over him, Megatron/Starscream relationship, ravage, bot fights, basic story etc) quite clearly, its just that the crap and sillyness can be seen a mile off and bring it down a lot.

I think one of the biggest thing that people who dont read news an stuff would ask is what were all those new robots names? Did anyone actually mention sideswipe by name? I heard the bikes called 'Arcee's' once very quickly but it would have been easy to miss. I heard mudflap's name mentioned a few times but not skidz. etc..its little things like this that annoy me lol.

Also, my gf asked me why there arent any strong female characters, she said that in the first film, megan fox was quite good, getting involved in the actual fights and somewhat served a purpose to the story where as in this one, her role was reduced to slow mo t&a and that was it. Thinking about it, this is a fair point, bot wise, during pre-production I was dreading seeing the arcee bikes in action as I didnt think a female 'transformer' fitted the style of the film, but after seeing them in action (briefly) I thought they were kinda cool and would actually have liked to see more of them (or at least find out there names). But as Bay is an alpha male with an ego bigger than devy's balls and the fact he is making this film for a 'dumbed down' audience any chance of a strong female character(s) goes out the window.

I dont know who Id have make the films from now on but I just think Bay needs to go. Shame, I had been looking forward to this film for ages and with the good work set up with the first film, I cant help but feel let down and disappointed with the ROTF. Just needed to moan and get this off my chest.

I know it sounds like what others have said beforehand but I tried to give my honest views in this post, I do like the movie universe and hope I havent come across as a 'hater' and I hope it generates some decent discussion instead of 'Another moaner, lock this now', 'Dont like? Dont watch', 'Movie=/=g1' etc....

2. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    most of the holes you talk about which are legit and I agree are the fault of the writers. The writers wrote the dream sequence and the dialogue and everything.

Bay as the director shoots the film...so he is the reason why there were such great robot fight scenes.

a scene should have been added to show the pretender forming...

Also the writers wrote the devastator issue of forming from non transforming robots and the duplicate mixmasters etc...

I think one of the biggest issues is megatron being second fiddle to the Fallen...Megatron always will be selfserving.

The clones were what SS was hatching and those were the similar looking decepticons in the end that were fighting,..

But the writers also didn;t have robot personalities in this film aside from the ones that existed in the last film and of course Mudflap and skids that got too much airtime for me.

I still LOVED the film but that is because I am a fan of Transformers...and these holes are hard to explain away, but it certainly isn't Bay's fault.

He gets a script that the studio buys and they have to run with it.

3. R.I.N.G.R.A.M.

R.I.N.G.R.A.M. 2nd Medic of Team Zissou

Lol, not to sound sad, but who rated this thread at one star? It might be one man having a bit of a grumble but its not a terrible thread. Is it?

I just think Orci & Kurtzman have it in them to create a good story, if they can get rid of trying to please bay and dumb ass viewers I think they could do a decent job.

4. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    > Who was the silver dude with sword type hands?
    Sideswipe. They say it in the movie.

> Cool! An Audi r8! Wait, no, dont die! who were you?
    It was a decepticon soldier they were hunting. Why does it matter if he stopped and said his name before he was cut in two? Alot of people like the idea that he was Barricade from the first film in a different car made for hiding.

> That random blue electric dude, where the hell did he come from?
    Space, with the rest of the Autobots. He was in Prime's little hunting-party they talk about AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FILM.

> The little blue rc car guy was cool but what was he called?

Wheelie.

> I thought the helicopter died in the first film?
    TF lore always has multiple characters sharing body types.

> Wait a minute, I know that military vehicle that turned up at the end, didnt prime cut his head off in the first movie????
    No, vehicles don't have heads. That was just a truck sitting there.

> Who were all those random similar looking bad guys at the end?
    Protoforms sent from space (the nemesis) to back up the battle from the fallen..."reserve troops" so to speak. They were landing, then fighting so most of them did not have a chnce to scan vehicles.

> Where and what was that place megatron flew to when he was revived?
    The Nemesis, the Decepticon base ship. Cybertron was too far away for that travel, and is a "dead world" in the movies.

> What was the point of those hatchlings starscream is making?
    They are trying to keep their race going and make troops for an army. Babies.

> Why was the fallen tied up and unable to move?
    He is ancient, he was basically in a hospital bed for robots, getting stronger for the fight.

> When the fallen told the world his message, where was the mass hysteria and panic?
    We were busy watching the actually interesting stuff. Besides, maybe people didn't believe it, thought it was a hoax. I think some weird alien on TV would likely get that reaction before full blown riots broke out in this day and age. NEST probably had some thing ready for it, to tell people it was fake.

> Dangling testicles?
    I chuckled, although I felt guilty. Everyone else in the theatre cracked up, so I see why it's there, people laughed. It was kind of amusing, I'll admit.

> Humping a leg? seriously?
    Again, for the "mass public" seeing and paying for the movie. People laughed alot in the theatre, don't know what to say beyond that. He's trying to entertain different groups of people seeing the film. It seemed to work.

> Who died? Who survived? Who knows?
    Aftermath of a battle. The characters in the 3rd film will answer that, but honestly it looked like most everyone lived, but some took some big damage. I didn't see anyone important explode or anything.

> The scorpian one! He's back! No wait he's dead again. Bit pointless?
    Like this comment? Again, fodder for the battle. Do you need individual histories for every soldier you see in a battle on film?

> I thought bumblebee's voice was fixed?
    Well, he was holding his throat and it sounded forced and painful, so to speak. It seemed like he was choking out a line but it was still glitchy.

> Oh look, theres ratchet! he is in the film.
    Yes, and he rebuilds Prime at the end for the final battle.

> What the fudge was that blue electric gun the military fired?
    A rail gun. THEY SAY IT IN THE FILM.

> Why did the fallen get killed after 10 seconds of fighting?
    Because it was the climax of the film. He was ancient and a coward. He wouldn't even GO to earth if Prime was on it, so that alone tells you how afraid he was of Prime and getting owned like that.

> What the **** was that dream sequence about?
    In the original G1 lore, it was shown that one could travel "into" the matrix so to speak, consciously. It held the "souls" and knowledge of the Primes of history. So, basically, Sam went "into" the matrix and spoke with the ancients in a surreal out-of-body- moment.

Did anyone actually mention sideswipe by name?
    Yes.

I heard the bikes called 'Arcee's' once very quickly but it would have been easy to miss.

But...you didn't miss it. Sheesh.

I dont know who Id have make the films from now on but I just think Bay needs to go.
    Not judging by the reactions in the theatre I was in....

Glad I could help you out. Not sure why so many people are complaining about things that are either in the film, or self explanatory.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Dude, pretty much everything you listed WAS EXPLAINED IN THE MOVIE. :lol 

6. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Wait. There's an Audi R8...finally a non-GM product and twice as cool as anything they could offer and...he...gets...KILLED!!??? :drunk 

7. gmainolfi

gmainolfi Member

Whoever fault it is it needs to be fixed. I kind of feel that the creators of the movie think the audience is dumb and that we would never pick up on all these inconsistencies and that we are at the movie just to see big explosions and some T&A. Now don’t get me wrong, I do not mind the explosions or the T&A but "Transformers Franchise" and the huge fan base deserve more than what the movie gave us. Maybe it is my fault for having to high of expectations for the movie before I saw it but I just believe with the history of Transformers there was/is a lot of potential for some great movies.

8. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Why do people need every little detail shown or explained to them? I don't see other movies getting picked apart for the same reasons many are bashing ROTF.

9. Hand Of Omega

Trust me. I do. I often find myself sitting there going, "are you serious? You didn't get that?"
    You should check out my DVD collection one day, I enjoy filling in the gaps, but I have to admit, when its excessive, its just a sign of laziness on the writer or director's part. :popcorn 

10. gmainolfi

gmainolfi Member

I do not need every detail explained to me. In fact I like movies that make you think. I am just a Transformers fan that thinks the "Franchise" and the fan base deserve a better movie. There is nothing wrong with that. Yes the movie may have just been made to be an action packed filled movie but I like I mentioned before, with the history with Transformers as a whole I feel it deserves to be more than that.

11. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    OK, give me a couple of specifics in the film that you think are so bad and unexplained, and we'll discuss them.

12. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Dude, they touch on more transformers mythos in this movie then in the entire first season of TFs, and most of the second!

Im fine with different opinions, some people aren't gonna like this movie, but some complaints just astound me.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Arcee, Chromia and as yet unnamed purple motorcycle.

Sideswipe

Sideways

Jolt, yeah, he kinda appears out of nowhere at the NEST base.
    Wheelie

Grindor, a very similar dude with a slightly different colour scheme from Blackout, the helicopter from the last movie.

He got better. Serious answer: they just reused the model to save money.

If you're talking about the construction vehicle guys who seemed to be in two places at once, they were the Constructicons.

It appears to be one of Saturn's moons. The place on the moon is the wreck of the starship Nemesis.

It's a railgun, a real-life electrically-powered, magnetically-launched weapon, thouh real ones don't look that cool and they aren't being used by any military yet. Fires a non-explosive round very, very quickly, hitting very, very hard.

The Matrix would only materialise to somebody whose faith held firm and who proved themselves as being worthy of it. Sam's determination to resurrect Optimus and his sacrifice allowed the Primes to give him the Matrix to fulfill his destiny.

TLDR: He sort of died and went to robot heaven where robot angels gave him this thing to make Optimus live again.

14. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    More like going into the matrix from G1S3.

15. Hand Of Omega

You mean from ROTF? Haven't seen it. That line about 'laziness' didn't refer to ROTF specifically, it was a general comment.
    I'll be able to interpret it myself thanks, like my post says, I do that a lot.

16. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Oh, sorry, your comments sounded as though you'd seen the film. My apologies. Enjoy the movie, don't let these people let you go into with a dark cloud.

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    To me, it didn't seem like he went to "robot heaven", I just took it as the Primes speaking to his consciousness while he was unconscious.

18. gmainolfi

gmainolfi Member

Sorry if I am coming off as complaining. I do not mean to be. I have seen the movie twice already and I sure I will see it one more time hopefully at an IMAX. I knew all the answers, if you will, to all the original questions to the thread so maybe I am just nip picking at some of the little things that I saw in the movie that really do not deserve any discussions. Like Bubble Bee not talking or him not knowing that he had a decepticon in him (That does not sound right but it is what it is). I like said before, maybe I had to high of expectations for the movie and I ruin it for myself.

19. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Yeah, I'm going to have to say he was dead. You have close ups on him with no movement or breathing, Mikaela freakin', and a military medic sitting up shaking his head. Dead.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Flatlined, clinically dead, sure. My point was that I don't think he actually went to "robot heaven." Whatever was going on was going on in his head.