so AFA g1 megs are gold mines now?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by blahduh, Nov 13, 2007.

1. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

2. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    killa has a gem there. its nice, and it could be worth 8k to somebody. very nice, plus its hard as hell to find an 85 megs out there.

3. Bjjer

Bjjer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its nice, not $8000.00 nice, but nice. Im happy with my 16special and encore.

4. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    box must be nice, cause usually these grades get an overall 80.

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't recall seeing an 85 in a looong time. That is gorgeous.

WAY out of my reach, but it is certainly VERY nice.

6. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

It's got price stickers and visible edge wear in the pictures! I'm giving benefit of the doubt that the line on the side is in the plastic, not in the cardboard.

And he wants to charge another $55 for standard USPS Priority Mail shipping?!?

Oh, OK, with insurance it does cost that much. USPS wants to charge $55.85 for a flat-rate box with $5000 of insurance (their max) and no other services, and UPS charges $49.21 (assuming 3lbs) for ground (with the full $8000 insured). UPS charges 55¢/$100 for insurance, and USPS charges $7.30 for the first $600 and 90¢/$100 for the rest. USPS would be $82.85 total if they actually insured the full $8k! I guess that's a good reason to avoid shipping expensive stuff...

7. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Box is an 80, so some edge wear being present is no surprise. And price stickers don't affect the grade unless they are torn or on the character artwork's face or something like that. The line on the side (if it's what I think you're talking about) is the plastic rails used to keep the toy box in place.

It's in beautiful shape. $8000 is about right considering what these have sold for in the past. And bear in mind he is accepting best offers, which means that he expects to get less than $8000--$8000 is only the upper limit.

It's unfair to call him greedy. He's just selling it for what it's worth, whatever that ends up being. If you had an expensive house that you wanted to sell, would you sell it for about the same price other houses in the neighborhood have sold for, or would you decide to sell it for 50% of that? You would try to get around the same price other homes in the neighborhood have sold for, wouldn't you? That's the value of the home just like the value of this Megatron is about the same as others that were sold on Ebay in the recent past in similar condition.

8. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

You'd think if he was trying to sell it for 8 grand he could afford a decent camera that doesn't take pictures that are grainy as hell.

9. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Thanks for the compliments, and to everyone that has a hmm.....hmmm.... educated opinion of the Megs for sale.

It is one of my favorite possessions, and I hate to see it go. That is why I will try to get what it is worth to me. If no other collectors see the value as the same, it will remain in storage.

When I quoted the shipping + handling charge, I fully expected to eat about $20.00 out of pocket. If shipped, this guy will be double boxed with plenty of packing materials. It will be a very large parcel.

To explain the quality of the pics:
    In my current living situation, a new camera is not really a priority. I apologize for the quality. If you absolutely need better pictures, and are seriously interested, drop me a PM with your email address.

This Megatron has truly exceptional eye appeal, and has by far the cleanest box I have ever seen for an 80 box subgrade. I believe this is why they bumped it up to the overall 85.

Even if this figure is out of your league monetarily, you have to admit, it is still cool to see!!!

Thanx D, and Jeff

10. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Sad.
    Very sad.

But if people are willing to pay $8000 for a figure, it's their problem.

11. blahduh

ha, didn't realized Killa is the seller, sorry if my word offended you. But I do think the price for AFA megs has gone abit crazier ever since that $13000 got sold(I also think Sellers tend to use the highest price sold in the past as a reference)
    BTW, I never think BIN is a good way to show the true value of the item. Why not just doing a regular bidding session and see how much it can go up to?

Also, just realized you are the one who bought that "MISB g1 optimus" from oncelost2007, who was using stolen pictures for his auction and now NARU. What happened?

12. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

No problem. :) 

Everybody has their own selling strategies.

The MISB Prime with Elvin's pics is actually one of those really strange, "Only On Ebay" episodes.

The actual Seller ia actually a nice guy whose kid stole the pics, and posted several auctions on his fathers account while he was incapacitated. Emails went back-n-forth for a week until the father returned home. When Dad realized what his son had done, Dad refunded me in full, +$50.00.

The son was never heard from again....Ha Ha

In all seriousness, I've thanked him in return emails, and I don't know if he lurks here, but......

Thanks for everything Elvin, I really appreciate you taking the time to message me, and help me out.

13. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I'm glad that worked out!

When I was a kid, I remember stealing candy from a grocery store. I guess kids these days steal money from Transformers fans on ebay using their dad's ebay account. Weird.

14. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    you now, I sold a loose shuffler for 1500. I put a bin price with a best offer. guy didnt even want to do the best offer he just bought it, to my SURPRISE. people ridiculed me for making him so expensive or because I wasnt giving people a good deal, but when it comes down to it at the end of the day, are those people paying your bills or supporting your family? by the way i have given alot of people good deals on the boards and I will continue to do so. so killa-make that money bro. an afa 85 megs is hard as hell to get, hell even a sealed G1 megs is hard to get, no matter the condition.

15. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    there's a rumour that there are only 10 AFA Megatrons worldwide. So 8k isn't a unreaseneble amaunt

16. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

:eek:  L-O-O-S-E!! Recently?

17. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    AFA lists on their web site that there were 19 as of about half a year ago. (When they stopped updating their public grades database.)

18. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    very recent.

19. blahduh

That's very good news killa, glad you got your $$ back, and good luck on the meg selling.

My guess the only reason for rare megatron is because he's a realistic gun? Since what year they started to put him off the shelf?

20. Malach Ra

News Credits:

how is it sad. theres different types of collectors out there that want the very best or the very rarest, if it cars or sports cards/comics whatever-there will always be those guys out there-who are we to say its sad, well killa got 7100 out of his megs. also, killa-get a new camera-lol. you can afford one now.