So About Megatron...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AnomusPrime, Jun 10, 2017.

1. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

That IDW is the first to make Galvatron not Megatron is a dubious claim. Marvel's Galvatron sometimes was Megatron... and sometimes wasn't. And Galvatron going back in time after being born from Megatron would be very much like Marvel. :) 

2. Whisky26

Whisky26 Well-Known Member

G1 Marvel Galvatron was convoluted but was definitely Megatron. I had always thought that in those stories Galvatron was created from Megatron in the future where Unicron won and then sent back to aide Unicron in the past and was made even MORE explicit in Marvel UK (A Savage Circle - Transformers Wiki). That being said, considering a certain current Transformers' scribe's (*cough*JAMES ROBERTS*cough*) affinity (read: undying love) for G1 Marvel/Marvel UK, I very much agree that this wouldn't be "new," just a new twist. ;) 

3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

IDW Megatron and Galvatron are better as separate entities. Changing it is not a good idea.

But I'm willing to bet that Megatron won't stay forever dumped in the alternate universe. Sooner or later a writer will bring him back.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Active Member

That would not be a good idea.

Here's why.

First of all, Galvatron would no longer be an interesting character in his own right. And IDW Galvatron is really, really cool; he's a total badass with a Conan the Barbarian vibe, as well as offering an interesting perspective on present day Cybertron. Making him just "mind-wiped time travel Megatron" would make him lose his mystique.

Secondly, I honestly don't think that Unicron will appear in present-day IDW continuity. There's been a big emphasis about the return of the Primes in recent IDW continuity; with an indication that the Primes will be villains. So suddenly shoving them off stage to make way for Unicron doesn't seem like the sort of thing IDW would do.

I think the Unicron story is going to be a retelling of the Cybertronian creation story set in the distant past; Primus' "opposite" mentioned in the first run of RID and MTMTE might well be Unicron.

And, back on the subject of Megatron...

And, to be honest, personally, I don't want to see Megatron come back. In my view, this is where his story was always meant to end, ever since the Functionist Universe was introduced.

When I read it (and read some of the reactions to the ending), I sat down and tried to think about how Megatron would go about true redemption in the main universe. I drew a blank. His crimes were so horrible, widespread and damaging that there was nothing that could redeem him. Nothing, short of death, would even come close to a true punishment for him. Terminus even pointed this out; how can Megatron truly redeem himself if he has been executed? That's absolution, not redemption.

Here, however, things are different. Megatron can, now, begin his story again; Megatron can carry out his revolution in a different manner. Remember, Megatron originally wrote a treatise on how pacifist dissent and the exchange of ideas could change things (After The Ark: Nominus Prime and The Illusion of Progress). Megatron can carry out his revolution the way his old self wanted; not through force, through peace.

Roberts even foreshadowed this. The theme song for "Dying of the Light" and, arguably one for Megatron himself, was "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, which contains the following lyric; "If I could start again/A million miles away/ I would keep myself/ I would find a way" Megatron has been given that opportunity; to start again and not make the same mistakes. It's a beautiful ending to his story.

It was also subtly foreshadowed in MTMTE 28, where Rodimus is visiting him to prior to the trial and taunts him that Megatron will end up "right where he started; under Nova Point. I hope it was worth it." Megatron's final speech is under Nova Point; it's where his story began and, now, begins again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

I like this ending. Megs remains irredeemable in the main universe but gets a second chance in the other. It's not about finding redemption. It's about finding that peace he's always been on about.

6. Phadthiaprime

Phadthiaprime Noodle loving matrix bearing naysayer

I'm satisfied with where Megatron is at now. My lingering curiosity with him actually extends more towards the original spark that Rewind 2 snuffed out and what the spark that originally inhabited Megatrons body would have been like. Of course with recent reveals in Lost Light it seems Sparks/souls don't matter, unless the recent Skids development ends up being bull, which it just might because Anode...

either way we have
    IDWs main universe: Superior Megatron .1% spark is born in the future, taken to the past and put in it's body after rewind 2 kills the body's original spark.
    Functionist universe: Rewind 2 kills the spark in what would have been Megatrons body and Megatron is never born. Although a new spark could have been made for it later and a non-megatron could be wandering around the Functionist timeline for a period.
    Universe Three: Rewind never goes back in time and another not-megatron is running wild and free. Maybe he dies, maybe he doesnt. This time line could be similiar to IDW in order to perpetuate events as a rebellious version of megatron had to have been born to recreate all the events leading to the superior .1% megatrons birth in the first place.
    Universe Four: Everything happens the same as IDW universe one and three, except that Brainstorms experiment fails, Megatron never becomes Superior .1% Megatron. This is where I really speculate. Does the .01% spark influence or change brainstorm since hes caring it (such as with spark carrying ala beast wars) does nothing happens as no personality is imprinted upon the spark. Does the story continue and Megatron later gets a spark replacement after redeeming himself on Necroworld and is given the replacement spark? Is it given to Skids? Ravage?

My head hurts.

7. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Why not just have Unicron resurrect Galvatron? He comes back to Earth, calls out Optimus on the whole execution business, which causes havoc amongst Prime's troops prior to the arrival of Unicron himself.

Now there's your dramatic buildup.

8. Phadthiaprime

If only IDW Galvatron was actually dramatic. Id rather Unicron go the route of Galactus and find and make new herald(s). I honestly think it would be cool if Unicron resurrected Scorponok into Black Zarak. That might give further incentive into releasing both as Titan sized toys.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Novus

Novus Dragoon

News Credits:
    I don't like this departure at all. It just gives me more reasons to drop this comic.

10. Phadthiaprime

What if they gave megs his own solo comic depicting his 2nd attempt at life on functionist cybertron? would you read that?

11. Novus

Novus Dragoon

News Credits:
    Probably as long as he is well written as he was in MTMTE