So, a serious, genuinely curious question.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by indecks, May 18, 2007.

1. indecks

indecks Banned

Has anyone here with an opinion of 'its gonna suck' been turned, or convinced otherwise? I dont mean by today's trailer. I mean ever since the movie was announced to recently. has your opinion changed?

I'm NOT trying to start a flamewar, and if it does start a flamewar, mods please delete the topic or close it or whatever you need to do.

I'm genuinely curious, because as it turns out, I'm one of those people. When news first appeared a long time ago that Michael Bay was gonna do Transformers, I figured "great. there's a nice piece of my childhood destroyed."

Then I heard Bumblebee was gonna be a Camaro. *groan*
    Then I heard that Bernie Mac was gonna be in it. (I hate Bernie Mac)
    Then I heard Tyrese Gibson was gonna be in it. *groan*
    I saw the first teaser trailer. I actually said (in the theater) "Its gonna suck ass!"
    Then I saw designs and pictures of Megatron and the others. *GROOOOAN.

But then... I read the leaked script. *Hm... actually a good story!*
    I read it again... *this could actually work!*
    Found out Cullen was gonna be Prime. *nerdgasm*
    Found out Bernie Mac was a bit part *gettin better all the time!*
    Saw the first trailer. *immediately soiled myself.*

From there on out, I was totally psyched for this movie. Complete, 100% turnaround in attitude for this film. Then today, I see the latest trailer. I literally got misty-eyed after hearing the old transforming sound, seeing Starscream transform (like 3 times!), seeing Jazz stepped on (poor guy!) seeing how much of a BADASS Ironhide is, hearing the original TF theme mixed in with the score... *sigh*... now.

I am absolutely stunned at how awesome this movie looks. I love the designs, the characters, the bits of comedy by Shia Lebouf, the hot girl, Bumblebee looking like a beermug full of win and awesome, and Prime doing the "Neo" stance.

Anyone else have something like that happen? Think it was gonna suck and now you're totally psyched?

2. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yep, I wasn't gonna have anything to do with this movie

now I wanna see it in theaters at least 3 or 4 times, and I want the toys too!

3. Rufus Prime

Rufus Prime The Toy Maker

I have to say I was very worried in the begining.

The designs were very different
    Mr. Bay has always been hit and miss with me (though I know always miss with most others)
    Bumblebee was not a bug
    and the teaser was very small

Then, I saw the Toys!!!! What a great translation from movie design to plastic.

Ofcourse when I saw the "official teaser" and found out that the first bit was called an "announcement trailer" (made sence) I was hooked.

After today (and the fact that I got a pass from sector 7 to see the preview screening) I am way too excited for my own good :) 

4. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    I was negative about it just like I was negative about Beast Wars back in 1996. Overall I knew it would be the same thing again, people hating it at the beginning then falling in love for it afterwards. Not everybody but a large portion of the fandom for sure.

5. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I was very excited right from the start, since I'm not a TF fan. They can bungle the story for all I care - so long as I get to see giant robots fighting!

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well I'm sure as some members here at TFW already know, I'm not affraid to speak up, and gripe about how i feel about this movie.
    But you know what, I dare say, I think even I'm starting to warm up to the idea of this movie...
    Everytime I see a new image of Jazz, Megatron, Bonecrusher, or any of them, I just roll my eyes and chuckle. But you know what, When I see these trailers I forget how crappy their character designs are, and I'm like, 'Wow Optimus Prime just got tackled!' Or something to that effect. So yes, I think my point of view is changing a tad.
    But then again their is another possibily. I read somewhere a while back that the human brain seeks out beauty. And in some cases if exposed to something ugly for a long time, the brain will start to find the beauty in that uglyness. So it could be just that. :)  But which ever the case may be. Yea, My perception's changing.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still believe its going to suck.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I was/am very opinionated about the direction they took with the designs, the voice actor selection, the C-List "stars" of the film, and a great many other things. However, this latest trailer *finally* convinced me that it could be pretty good afterall. It's still not what I personally wanted out of a TF movie, but could possibly be great in many other ways.

At the end of the day, I now have a live action TF movie backed by Spielberg's money & two major studios, directed by a director who has done a couple of my fav movies in terms of cinematography, and is not "kiddy" in any way, so yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a chance and the benefit of the doubt. Everyone else got their Stars Wars or LOTR or X-Men or Spider-Man... this is finally MY chance to get MY geekdom movie :) 

That said, no trailer in the world is ever going to make me say a movie is without a doubt going to rule or that I'll be seeing it several times in the theatre. I'll save those judgements until I actually see it, especially since the entire point of a trailer is to make *any* movie look good, whether it be through tricky editing, additional piped-in sound & CGI effects, etc.

9. indecks

indecks Banned

Ha! that's funny because I was exactly like you. I thought Beast Wars was just plain stupid back in 96. Saw it on TV and just couldn't get into it. I guess about the time I stopped watching it (early in Season 1), it really picked up.

I watched the episodes about a year ago, and WOW. All I can say is that Ravage was SO freakin' cool.

"DECEPTICONS FOREVERRRRR!!!" is probably one of the coolest lines of the show.

10. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was one the fence, once Cullen was announced - while I freely admit I would've preferred an updated G1 style, I realized this wasn't likely.

Teaser - eh.... script - possibilities...1st trailer - ooookk.... prequel book - ehhh...prequel comic - hey now.... latest Yahoo trailer - OH YEA!

At the very least, my eye-candy quotient will be fed (quite possibly feeding my entire minimum yearly allowance in one showing) - hasn't had a good feeding since Batman Begins & Narnia.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly right off the bat I was thinking:

Live action Transformers Movie? Why the hell do we need that? Can't Hollywood leave stuff alone?

Then I saw the teaser or announcement trailer and it only echoed those sentiments.

After they started showing designs I got more and more excited. It was a somewhat gradual process, but before the next trailer was released I was indeed swayed to the other side of the spectrum. Hell even last Botcon I was ready for it.

I think when I first heard the idea I poo pooed it, but quickly came around when I realized the possibilities and saw even more.

12. Exitspeed

Exitspeed Well-Known Member

I was intially turned off by the designs and thought it was gonna suck...

Since then I, like you, I've read the "leaked script", warmed up to the designs, and have been extremely impressed with the trailers.

I was going to see the movie anyway, but now it's almost unbearable having to wait til July. I haven't been so excited to see a movie in a loooooooong time.

13. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Uhhh??? Wasn't aware that terrible script converted anybody. Hope they've changed it quite a bit.

The bots barely talk in it! It really harms your credibility if that's part of the reason you changed your mind.

14. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
  15. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Dude, that's the Bendis board :/ I wouldn't call that the "Average Movie Goer", they're Bendis fans :/

16. Super_Saiyan

Super_Saiyan British Bumblebee

I got addicted to it when my cousin showed me the first trailer on New Years Day, still hooked, i've seen the new trailer 11 times so far, this movie is not going to bring as much money as the sequels, but will get the better reviews, i KNOW its gonna be a hit.

17. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    True, but compared to most Transformer fans, they might as well be :D 

18. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Hey, I'd like to point something else out, in your topic you ask "Did this trailer make you want to see the film?" when really, just about everyone wants to see the film, we know that. I want to see the movie, but I still think Starscream, Megatron and Ironhide look like crap. The issue of being "Pro movie" is being supportive of these decisions over the alternatives. You'd get a very different result if you made a poll on using more Alternator/updated G1 designs vs. the movie look, etc.

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

For myself I wasn't surprised about the prospect of a Transformers movie. Because honestly there have been a slew of Superhero/comic movies. I was surprised it was given the green light though. The other movies like Punisher, Hulk, Spiderman have a LONG rich history. So there's a story to tell, Transformers not so much. Because let's face it, it's a kid's toy and the cartoons were 25min toy commercials. The Beast series was an exception as it had characterization that the G1 toon only wish it had

But when it got the green light I figured "Hey instead of poo-pooing all over this project I'll see how this proceeds" And I'm satisfied, human involvement doesn't both me as it's on earth and humans are needed. Plus human involvement has been a main stay in TFs since G1, Masterforce, RID & A/E/C. The Military have been a part of Transformers since the days of RATT in the old Marvel comics. And the look while different didn't phase me. I got back into TFs from watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines. So if I can handle that I can handle this :) 

20. indecks

indecks Banned

Well being that my credibility isn't exactly on the line for any reason, I'll just say I don't really care.