So, 2 NES's showed up on my door yesterday...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CripNite, May 18, 2008.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

My landlady was having a garage sale and as I was walking in, I saw a box with 2 NES systems in it, a couple controllers and a zapper. I was more interested in the controllers and the zapper as I have a system that still works, but you never know when/if the controllers stop working and I was already concerned that my zapper no longer worked. I guess, she saw me looking at it, as she came and brought the box over to my door later without telling me.

So I start fiddling with it, and the hookup cords don't work (the power adapter was completely hooped - the video hookup was questionable looking as the coax hookup was in two pieces, but it did work). I pulled out my old system and it's hookups and try both systems. Neither work.

I hookup my system with the controllers and zapper and am pleased to find that they both work (shot a few ducks while I was at it... memories!) because this is what I was really interested in to begin with.

Now here comes the big question... I've seen some links here and elsewhere to people doing mods with their systems, but my searching so far has only yielded a few dvd players and some paint jobs. I want some ideas for some kind of mod to do with these two systems. So if you have a FEASIBLE idea, please post it. If you have a link to someone else's how-to or photos of what they did, please post it.

I really want to do something cool with these systems, so please help me out, TFW'ers!

2. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

No ideas on what you could make out of the two systems, but you were talking about controllers crapping out. I don't know if you've opened them up and played with them yet, but the NES controllers are stupidly simple to open up and swap out parts. I haven't played my NES in a few years, but I would go almost yearly on a hunt to old second hand shops looking for junk NES controllers and cannibalize them into one perfect controller.

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i want someone to replace the guts of a nes and make a front loading snes just so you can mess with your friends when they come over.

4. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    If you have a Wii system I would say to make a Nes-Wii mod. Or make the NES system into an external hard drive casing or DVD player.

5. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    definitely a snack dispenser. rope licorice could come out of the cart slot. OR make a snack bowl /candy dish. but put lights in it so it looks like its on. a cd player with internal speakers would be cool. hmm, if you wanted to take the time, a PC in a NES would be bad ass. a DS/PSP dock with sound. ya know, the whole PC thing is actually a good idea. install a small HD and basic needs. Then install an emulator for just about every system. I mean I am sure you could find the needed parts at dirt cheap prices.

6. CripNite

I was actually debating something like this, but the SNES carts are as wide as the NES carts are long, so I don't think it would work. I figured that maybe doing this with a Sega Genesis (for the extra irony, of course) would work better.

7. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

8. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

You could also go on benheck.com and see if there's anything there you'd like to make out of them that would be possible.

9. CripNite

So... in addition the the 2 NES, she's also given me 1 Genesis version 1, a Genesis 2, two Sega Game Gears, a NINTENDO VIRTUAL BOY, 3 Nintendo 64 games (Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing and some sports game), 3 Genesis Games (Sonic 1, Columns, and some EA sports game), Sonic 2 for Game Gear, some other Game Gear sports game, Mortal Kombat 3 and Trilogy for PS1, Die Hard Trilogy for PS1, a PS1 controller, three 3-button Genesis controllers, one 6-button Genesis controller, 2 official Nintendo 64 Controllers, 1 cheapo N64 Controller, a PS1 Konami Light gun... and a couple VHS movies (Flintstones and Beethoven).

The Virtual Boy is one of my holy grails of gaming and I got it for nothing. It came with Mario Tennis for it, but not much else. The stand is there and the controller, but no eyeshade and no AC adapter, both of which I kinda need for it. I can play it if I'm up close in a dark room, but other than that, it's a no go.

Any ideas where to find these items for it reasonably cheap besides Ebay?

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    doubt you could find them anywhere else, its too far out of production and was too unpopular. tennis is awesome on it, btw.

11. CripNite

Hmmm... just wondering if there was some kind've site for people to trade and sell specifically game things.

Besides EB.

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ^ This ^

Although I was really hoping for a good console joke here. You know, "A NES, Sega Genesis, and Turbo Graphix 16 walk into a bar..."

13. CripNite

I should mention that with the plethora of systems and whatnot showing up on my door, it`s weird, but most of the cables are not with them. Only one RF cord for the two NES`s, one AC adapter between the two genesis (works with only the version 2, but also with the 2 Game Gears, but there is one Game Gear Power Back also), and no TV hookups for the Genesises (Genesii?).

The thing here is that even if I wanted to hook one of the Genesii up inside a Nintendo, I can`t check to see if they work properly until I find the right cords. I`m gonna hit up the EB`s in town and maybe Value Village (they sometimes have random cords like this) to see what I can find.

14. CripNite

So I spent yesterday afternoon hitting up every thrift store and pawn shop in town for anything to get these systems working.

I hit upon exactly 2 things. An NES RF cord/box and a Genesis Mk 1 AC Adaptor.

Which is perfect, because an NES RF cord works with a Genesis Mk 1.

And my freebie Genesis Mk 1 works just fine.

The Mk2 receives power from it's AC adaptor (which it came with), but has a different RF cord, which I don't have (actually I think it may have been in the first box the landlady gave me with the NES's, but I threw everything in the box away as I didn't figure I was going to be receiving anything else from her such as this... doh!).

Oh, and I got some new batteries for the Virtual Boy, which works fine. Of course, trying to find anything else for it is going to be brutal.