Snide responses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Why do you think some people respond to some situations in a snide way? Do you feel as though they're trying to make themselves feel better at the expense of tearing down others? Is it due to a lack of confidence in themselves? Just plain selfishness or pig-headedness, the inability to listen, take in and contemplate an idea as stated by another person without having their own view drown out what's being said? What's at the heart of the person who can't reply without a quip or a crack?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Welcome to the internet.....

3. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

All of the above.

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

It's not only on the internet, keep your ears open next time you're in a group...

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I usually can't hear them over how awesome I am :) 

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Bear in mind these examples are neither condoning or condemning, just for informational purposes.

Well, in some cases responses can be out of mean spirit indeed, however it is not always as it seems.

There is also, and I run into this often, total disbelief someone would even post some of the things that get posted leading to dismay and lack of objectivity in response.

Also, (and not so much an excuse for the activity but it will make it happen,) things posted in the wrong place when it's painfully obvious as such to anyone who takes 2 seconds to look before they post things.

blatant repeats of the same posts (usually I hate X thing) with maybe slightly different wording or changes from statement to question form.

grossly inappropriate timing of posts or statements. usually someone making jokes about mass deaths due to natural disaster or things of that nature.

I have noticed in my various roamings around the interwebs that for any amount of people who get unjustly sniped at any given time there is just as many if not more spoiling for the fight, some are just better at hiding it than others.

7. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Great post, thought-provoking. So impatience plays into it as well. An inability to "let it slide" or "let it go" again so they feel enough if enough and something has to be said. But then I wonder why some are straight-forward and serious about it, and others choose to be snide about it. Do the snide people feel as though they need to dole out punishment or revenge for having their patience tested?

On a side note, I've found that that every time I've ever commended someone on a post here, it's been met with some sort of snide remark by a third party. It's like people don't like seeing other people given props. Jealousy?

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Because who's gonna stop ya?

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Because sometimes people are complete idiots who deserve snide comments when asking stupid questions? Usually when I make snide comments, it is predicated on someone else being stupid or being an ass.

10. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

So you lower yourself to their level instead of thinking for yourself, taking the high road, and showing patience and maturity?

11. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Um, snide comments are what? Being sarcastic? Giving obvious answers in a way that makes it clear they were obvious? I mean, snide comments can be a of things. And I'm sarcastic a lot to people who deserve it. Sometimes being witty about something can be taken as snide. I think people in this world just need to learn not everyone is nice and leave it at that. So people make snide comments. So what? If it bugs you, ignore them.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Snide remarks are for balancing out all the goody-goody white knights out there. Unbridled optimism sucks just as much as unbridled sarcasm.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  13. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Here we go, the part of the discussion where we argue semantics instead of the overall point.

To quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." I doubt you have any idea who deserves what, and I'm also sure whenever someone gives you something they think you "deserve," you probably think it's extremely unfair. Instead of deciding who deserves what, just rest assured that everyone, no matter how "stupid" or "ass" they are, deserves patience and understanding. I flat-out challenge you to drop the snide, sarcastic attitude next time you're dealing with someone you think "deserves" it. I know you probably won't even try, because you don't give a crap what I challenge you to do, but if by some chance your curiosity gets the better of you and you do attempt it, let me spoil the results for you: you won't be able to do it, because you'll just fall back on what you already know, and what you've always done.

And that's not snide, that's the cold, hard, ugly truth.

I find this kind of attitude disgusting. The kind of person who thinks this way sees a happy person on a Monday come in to work and angrily says "What the hell are you so happy about? It's Monday!" Do you have any idea how many people were brought down because of this disgusting, selfish way of thinking? No, I disagree with you, unbridled optimism doesn't suck. It just seems that way for people who are victims, targets and completely dependent on other people and situations to decide what mood they're in.

14. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    But my generation (I'm 16, FYI), and humanity in general right now, does not react they way you think they do to the kind, nice, patient responses. Especially in high school. The world doesn't respect kindness and patience like it once did. Hence the lack of it. And when you deal with people five days a week, you can begin to grasp their attitude, and then judge how to approach them. A lot of the guys at my school are assholes. I see it firsthand. So, when they start up their asshole attitude with you, they do deserve the snide remarks and the argument that stems from it. Sorry to break this news to you.

15. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Man....I asked my uncle if he ate all the pie that we had left from the day before.....want to know what he said?

Shut the f*&^ up you b*&^% munching,n*&^& foul! I then punched him in the face. Turns out he was drunk.

16. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

It's not just this generation, things have always been that way. It even goes back to 2000 years ago when a certain kind, nice, patient man was killed for being too nice, kind and patient. It's been a LONG time since patience was respected, if ever.

You can't control how people will act. But what you can control is how you REACT. If someone is an asshole to you, and you're an asshole back, then they've just controlled you. If you respond with patience, then you're in control. No, it's not popular, but doing the right thing seldom is. History's nicest, kindest and most patient people are people who were HATED by many while they were alive. But deep down we all know the difference between right and wrong. When someone is doing the *wrong* thing, and they see you do the *right* thing, even though it means you're not going to be popular for it, a lot of the time they feel ashamed of themselves for not having the courage to stand apart and walk that path themselves. Usually that shame is accompanied by anger and...snideness. But when they're alone, and there's no one to posture around, the truth is deafening, and you can't be snide with yourself...

17. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Unless you talk to yourself. Then you can be snide to yourself.

I see your point. I see why you want to make that point. But that point isn't human nature. Look, being a pushover isn't the way to live life. If sometimes making snide remarks and standing up for yourself in an argument can get you a tad more respect, you do it. And sadly, people do respect it.

18. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I *never* said be a pushover. That's just how you interpreted it because you've been taught that being patient means being quiet and submissive. I'm talking about possibilities. When someone's an asshole to you, it's a knee-jerk reaction to tell them off. But it's *possible* to walk right up to them, face them nose-to-nose, get right in their personal space, be completely calm and say slowly and patiently, "What you're doing doesn't work for me." It's possible to send a message of patience that doesn't seem cowardly or dismissive. To say "I disagree with you, and here I am, facing you face to face. I'm not afraid of you and I'm not budging. This is what I think, this is how I feel, this is how I'm going to deal with you from now on." Yeah, some people will be unnerved by this fearlessness and try to start a physical fight. But in my experience, most people backed down when they actually got so close to the person they were bothering that they could count the pores on their nose. That's the reason for most misunderstandings. People just didn't think hard enough about the person they were affecting. When you're all that they can see, you *force* them to laser-focus on you, and a lot of the time, force them to realize what an ass they're being to another human being.

And the people who respect snide, aloof or asshole-ish behavior are people whose respect is worthless. Choose whose respect matters to you very carefully. Most people's respect isn't worth anything because they wouldn't stand up for what's right either if it meant being unpopular or uncomfortable.

You seem to think I'm not aware of what "human nature" is. I am. I've seen it all my life, I see it every day, and I've read about it in many historical accounts that took place long before I was born. I know exactly what human nature you're talking about. I find it very sad that a lot of people adopt a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude simply because they're outnumbered. As the old saying goes, "If everyone jumped off a cliff..." Use your brain and decide for yourself what's right and wrong, don't just be a sheep and do whatever the crowd is doing, because the crowd is just following another crowd.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh well. I'm happy to not live in your idea of a perfect world. Everybody always happy, spewing saccharine-coated responses to every single thing anyone says - that would be fucking HORRID.

I'll take the balance we have now, thank you very much. Sweet and sour, they complement one another.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I do this more often than I want to think about. If you see me getting snarky - well, thats when I've had about all I can put up with.

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.