"Sneak Previews" in instructions discussion.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have seen some confusion about this topic, as well as some leaping to conclusions. So I'd like to propose this thread as a center for discussion on this recent phenomenon and it's implications.

What We Know (we think): Starting in 2010, many new Deluxe molds have been created with two heads. Lately (Generations and RtS) this has become an extremely common trend. (There are a few exceptions. I believe Tracks lacks predictive instructions, but this is because he got a more extensive retool into Wheeljack, presumably).

These new heads have been "previewed" in the instructions for several toys. This has been dismissed several times as "printing errors" but at this point such an explanation insults the intelligence of roughly everyone on the planet. The lovable scamps of the Hasbro Transformers team are definitely teasing us.

Here is the list off the top of my head of instances when this has occurred.

Lockdown: Instructions showed Axor's head. Axor later released in HftD line.

Cybertronian Bumblebee: Instructions showed Cliffjumper's head. Cliffjumper later released in Generations line.

Darkmount: Instructions showed Skullgrin's head. Skullgrin later released in Generations line.

Thunderwing: Instructions show a different head AND chest piece, speculated to represent G1 Thunderwing's Japan-only remold Black Shadow or A/E/C Megatron. No confirmation of a release.

Scourge: Instructions show a different head, speculated to be IDW Ratbat or Liokaiser. No confirmation of a release.

Kup: Instructions show a different head, speculated to be several different Autobots, one of whom is Gears. No confirmation of a release.

Wreck-Gar: Instructions show a different head that is NOT Scrapheap's (a known E-Hobby release) and strongly resembles the character Junkyard. Wreck-Gar would be able to interact with such a figure. BUT, no confirmation of a release.

Optimus Prime: Instructions show a different head. Speculation is just starting to brew but it lacks the characteristic Prime faceplate. Of course, no confirmation of a release.

That's EIGHT figures, which is why it's no accident. Moreover, the instructions have demonstrated predictive power three times at least.

But note the disclaimers. We can predict that Hasbro plans to release these figures in the future. But we can't say when exactly, or what they will be called, or what color they will be. Moreover, we do not know that they will ultimately be released. Hasbro would not bother if they didn't think there was an excellent chance of reusing the molds...in effect, new heads are a small expense meant to ultimately increase returns. But as we have all seen with Animated, not all of Hasbro's finished toys get a full production run and sale at a major retailer.

What I do think this trend represents is a statement of intention by Hasbro to stick with the Generations line (which is easier to re-use molds for than the movie line, which usually is stuck re-using them as the same character. The different-character re-uses are usually more popular among collectors), and to release the teased figures. It's also a sneaky way of communicating with fans outside of the normal channels.

However, one never knows, does one?

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well I like the the retools/repaint on the instructions it's have good ideas of the next used of the mold. Why Drift and Tracks never have Blurr's and Wheeljack's head molds in their instructions?

3. Geewun1

Geewun1 Well-Known Member

I am still on the look-out for the Tomahawk retool. I am not a great fan of its somewhat Lego-like head but the new head looked promising. It would be nice to see when it will be released, but I guess we will just have to wait and see until something pops up from Hasbro's end.

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    im thinking we will see these toys during dark of the moon as

A. gap filler for the line

B. something for us maybe they new we wouldnt like some of the toys

C. they will be out sometime just have no idear when

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

You frogot Lugnut's supposed head retool that sorta looks like Obsidian.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While discussing these thing are always fun, I think this is a bit of an "over-analysis" per say. Reason being is that Hasbro admitted at Botcon last year that they would be re-releasing many new repaints with resculpted heads and even showed SOME of the re-sculpted heads they would be using on the respective figures. AS ALWAYS, we never know if a figure will get released even though Hasbro promises it (ie - Animated Blackout, Wingblade OP, and Hydrodive BB), it is safe to assume that the plan is to release all of these figures to us.

Fact is, this is not an accident or an insult of our intelligence of any kind that the alternate head sculpts are in the instructions of the first mold.

7. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like the teasers are a just a great sign of things to come for the generic classics umbrella line of figures. It looks to be that there is a commitment from Hasbro's part to continue this for a while. From the above alone, that is five figures that are not yet publicly announced but most likely will be in the mode of the classics figures umbrella. I say we should be happy that they are doing this.

On another note anybody seen instructions for perceptor yet and if they had is there a reflector head in the instructions?

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Missed Terradive's as well.

9. Ganjibal Vendef

Ganjibal Vendef Well-Known Member

I bet the other Prime figure is gonna be Generations Thunderclash.

10. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone got a shot of the Prime head?

11. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    So when ThunderCracker is release, will it sport SkyWarp's head......?

:D ..being an ass...

12. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ :lol 

That's a neat idea...

And yeah, I forgot Lugnut, Tomahawk, and Terradive. That's at least 11.

So...you agree. I think you may have misread me, I didn't say that Hasbro is insulting our intelligence. And I know about the BotCon info, I just didn't explicitly include it. It's why we know that so many figures are getting new heads.

13. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, yeah, so I went back and read your post again, and I guess yes, I do agree to an extent (about the head molds), but I guess that is more of a fact than an opinion.

As far as Hasbro "sticking with the Generations line", it doesn't really matter. Let's face it, Hasbro/Takara makes molds of toys and they can put them in any line they want to, hence Jazz in the RTS line. It's all semantics really, the name of the line almost has no meaning. It is whatever promotion or gimmick they are promoting and they never really "stick" to one line. For instance, one could consider CHUG figures all the same, but are they? You could argue that thread forever, lol.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I disagree. I think it's a LOT of "over-analysis". The instructions really are not telling us anything we didn't already know from Botcon. Yes, Botcon info wasn't mentioned, why not? It's kind of the beginning, middle, and end of the story.

The instruction sheet head-previews *might* be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge, but I also think it could just be Hasbro wanting to do only 1 illustration of the mold and thus sometimes choosing the alternate molding to illustrate.

If the big conclusion is that Hasbro's sticking with the Generations line... that also might not be news since they said/implied so, again, at Botcon last year.

However plans do always change, could change from what the said at Botcon last year, and as acknowledged how, when, even if, an alternate head gets released can change in many ways.

I don't agree about alternate heads necessarily meaning Generations will stick around(I think it is or was the plan), but with Tracks, Jazz, etc. in the "movie-esque" RTS line, I think the barrier is broken. Any "Generations" mold/character can be released in a "movie" line.

I also don't think mold re-uses are any harder in the movie line than in Generations. It wouldn't be hard to reuse a movie mold(especially given such an alternate head sculpt), it just doesn't happen as much since it's actually advantageous to reuse as the same character due to recognition of the character from the movie and to keep that movie character on shelves and available while still "refreshing" for retail. For the first movie they made Evac from Blackout. Likewise, Sideways got an alternate head as Dead End. For the second movie the Whirl and Grindor repaints of Evac/Blackout where even on TRU shelves together.

15. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look, most of my "over-analysis" was putting what we know in one place. I should have mentioned the Botcon info, but that's why I started a thread rather than writing an essay. Regardless, every time one of these gets brought up, someone asks if it's a "mistake." I thought it would be interesting to try and consolidate a discussion--of a legitimate phenomenon--that's just meandering across a zillion different threads at the moment.

At this rate we can reasonably note a preference for the second, or unreleased at that time, head sculpt.

And yeah, I agree, my use of "Generations" was careless and not meant to highlight one specific line.

With one exception, Movie Optimus Prime and Bumblebee have never been remolded or redecoed into other characters. Neither have Starscream(!), Ironhide, Ratchet, Skids, or Mudflap. Robot designs in general are a lot more distinctive now.

In fact, the only different-character remold that's not of a generic villain or non-movie character, off the top of my head, is Swerve.

In contrast, in the Chug/whatever lines, whenever a new mold drops there is a hunger for different versions of it among collectors here. That's all I meant.

16. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The main thing I like about the alternate heads is that Hasbro is actually doing alternate heads at all. It's much easier to consider a mold as another character when it has a different head.

That's something that I have wanted for years and it's nice to see Hasbro enact it.

The other thing is this: for having the name 'Anguirus' you don't post in the Godzilla threads very much. ;) 

I could be mistaken, but hasn't Hasbro always chosen to use the alternate mold in the instructions?
    I think that's a definite nod to the fans.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    You sound a little bit miffed about the responses to the thread...

...but also say you want to make it a discussion. I think that's what's happening. A discussion being a free exchange of differing opinions/ideas. If you just wanted people to agree with you, pat you on the back and call you a genius, well.... that's not much of a discussion.

Movie Bumblebee was redecoed as Cliffjumper. Starscream's been redecoed as Thundercracker, Skywarp and Ramjet.

Still... it would be just as "easy" and not any "harder" for Hasbro to redeco Movie guys as new characters, especially if they actually made alternate heads for them. If the Ironhide, Ratchet, Skids, Mudflap molds had alternate heads, they'd become alternate characters pretty easily.

So it's not that it's harder to do this, but it makes sense to not do it since the movie characters are recognizable and have a feature film advertising them already. The main iconic characters Hasbro probably should keep unique, and only do alternate heads for generics/villians, as you say they have. But alternate heads/remolds also benefit movie toys that stay the same character..... Buster Prime.... "Take-my-face" Fallen.... and I think wasn't the first movie concept Camaro Bumblebee given a second Battle mask head?

If that's all you meant, then why are you talking about Hasbro's intentions when all your'e talking about is collectors' reactions? And I think you're looking at it through your own focus of interest in Classics. I'm not one of them, but I won't deny there's a huge fanbase for movie stuff too. Look at how much some of the leaked DOTM toys are going for and do remember all the anguish people had over getting ROTF toys before the release date? I remember lots of discussions of people being pissed because Wal-mart or wherever had them on the shelves before the street date but wouldn't sell them.

I'm not sure about always... I think maybe Drift & Tracks are exceptions. It could be a nod to fans, but I don't know that it is. I think just as easily fans could just be making a big deal about it and Hasbro is just doing it so that the first time the instructions are out they're "new" and the second time out they're "correct". Doing it "always" is just as much an indication of this as it is an indication of a nod to fans.

19. 420bot

420bot ******

Bring them all on, I'm ready to buy!