Heavy/Scratch: Sneak Peek in to a huge WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Quantum_Anomaly, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Quantum_Anomaly

Quantum_Anomaly Scratch Basher

Don't expect updates on this one TOO soon, because I'm still in the process of selecting and ordering all of the needed ball joints and screws I'm going to need.

(Speaking of which, anyone want to hit me up with some links for a good selection of ball joints? And if anyone knows where to get tiny bolts and nuts, PLEASE let me know. The hardware/craft stores out here don't have anything small enough).

So yeah, I'm doing a full die-cast kitbash of Sunstreaker for a friend. I've got most of the transformation figured out, since there are differences I wont be able to carry over from the universe figure, notably the head gimmick. The model I'm using is a california-style, so it's open topped and I want to keep as much of the original detail as I can. As far as I can tell the only detail I wont be keeping is the trunk space in the front, because that's most likely where the head will be stored.

The dremel battery is in the charger, and I need some new metal-cutting wheels. Hopefully I'll start the official WIP thread soon. In the mean time, enjoy what your imagination gives ya! (And sorry for the tease!) ;) 

Attached Files:

2. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I will be watching this one. One question though isn't the new body a little to big for a deluxe to be switched with?

3. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

cool man. and on a side note your last image reminds me of a cover for Escalation or Infiltration where ol'Streaker is in pieces

4. Quantum_Anomaly

This isn't a reshell ;)  I'm going to be building the entire thing from scratch!

5. Quantum_Anomaly

Well, he had to start SOMEWHERE! lol!

6. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like the makings of something big. There's a seller on ebay called "icanucan", they're outta Hong Kong, and they sell the Revoltech type ball joints as well as regular cup and ball type and they are relatively inexpensive. You'll probably be better off finding the small screws at a specialty hardware store, or talk to a watch repair shop. If you want to save yourself a lot of trouble building him, try robbing parts from an Alternator Sunstreaker, it's the same scale as your model. Good luck, hope to see this one finished!

7. Quantum_Anomaly

I'll check him out. However, I cant bring myself to steal parts from anything else. Sure it would be easier, but I really want it to be completely from scratch. I'm a perfectionist like that, and I cant have anyone else's work going in to it!

Thanks for the tip though! I'll have to see if some watch dealer's around here might be able to help me out. Time to google "watch bolts and screws" and see what happens!

8. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

i strongly suggest mega block,s struxx ball joint systems for the size of the project your doing... they have 2 size of ball joints whichs are very good !! and a box contains allot of ball joints since it,s primarily just a toy connection system.... and also they,re cheap !!

hope it helps !!

9. Quantum_Anomaly

Thanks! I've been looking at the revoltech stuff, but it's almost cheaper to buy a model than replacement joints, which isnt entirely out of question on this one. Nice, ratcheting joints. Expensive, but I like it.

On the flipside, the Struxx stuff is a lot cheaper and you get a whole SH*T ton of joints. They look snug, but I wonder if they will stand up to the amount of weight I'm going to put on them.

And watch screws are EXPENSIVE....sheesh....everyone's out to make a buck! (laugh)

10. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    ....You are completely nuts. But then again...

11. Quantum_Anomaly

Hahaha, that's why we're on the radicons board right!?!?

12. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

actually there are 2 size of joints... one standard (allot of them) and the bigger ones (4 i think) the later ones will defenitly work for you...

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    They will hold a good amount of weight.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/270956-classics-bruticus-completed.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/274589-project-swat.html

Plus I have a video on my You tube channel about them.
    Click my sig, if you want to check it out.

14. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Now this has peaked my attention! :D  What scale is it approximately? Have you considered stripping-down an Alt & using that if you can? But then the transformation wouldn't be faithful to the Classics Figure... Hmmmmm... [​IMG]

15. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

will be epic

16. Quantum_Anomaly

Thanks, I appreciate the "look inside" to see how these will work before I buy them! It will definitely be a purchase with the next paycheck!

It's a 1/24 scale Lamborghini. I don't really have anything I could strip down for it, and I want it to be a complete scratchbuild save for a few ball joints (because making THOSE from scratch would require far too much work). And no, it wont have 100% transformation/show/toy accuracy (due to the fact that this model is open-topped california-style), but it will be close (ish, read: recognizable), and I am going to be adding a few gimmicks and FAR more weaponry than offered anywhere else.

I certainly hope so!

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about this one :thumb 

18. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This should be a great build , ill be watching it. I have a few diecast models that i wish i knew how to chop up and build a custom figure. As far as info on nuts and screws, hit up an electronics store online or if you have one in your town. They sell lots of different sizes. I dunno if radio shack would have many to choose from though but you can check, look in your phone book for exectronic stores, not store like best buy and stuff, but the places that sell the supplies to build radios and everything..
    I did a quick search and these guys here say they have them as small as 1/8 i think. Maybe you can email them and see what they got :)  NUTS BOLTS SCREWS BRASS bolts nuts screws bolt nut

Good luck with the build :) 

19. Quantum_Anomaly

Me too!

Ah, perfect! I will have to go through and learn more about screw sizes. They have them smaller than 1/8 as well, which is sweet, but as far as type-size beyond the standard hardware store stuff, I'm a little lost. I'll send them an e-mail and see what I can get.

I hope to be going pretty in-depth as far as the build goes, so that others can learn from my mistakes and my progress ;) 

Little less than two weeks and I will be ordering all the rest of the parts I will need for this!

20. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I know of a couple places that you can get screws down to 00 size. yeah, they're tiny, brass, and not cheap, but cheaper than watch screws. One of those places is McMaster-Carr . They carry some small stuff, but you can also get stainless or regular steel.
    I have messed wiht a bunch of small HW before, and most recently on my 24th scale jeep scratchbuild, so let me know if you have any questions.

Randy!