Minor/Repaint: Sneak Peek at Newest Custom - Armada Hotshot!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Squall42080, May 1, 2006.

1. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Alright, here is a sneak peek at my newest custom that is nearing completion.

Unfortunately, all I have right now is alternate mode pics...because I want to let the decals sit for a little. (and because I'm back to working 12 hour days...)

I've always wanted to make an Alternators Hotshot. He's always been one of my favorite "newer" characters right up there with Armada Red Alert.

The inspiration for this custom came from TFans.com member, ---The Rat, who had previously made a custom Alternators Hotshot, which looks incredible. To take a gander at his custom check it out here:

Alternators Hotshot by ---The Rat

While I did want to leave Hotshot solid yellow with black trim, I still wanted him to look a little different from the other Subarus. The character name "Hotshot" implies someone who wants to showoff...and people that want to show off their nice cars, usually deck them out with all sorts of custom parts, hence the decals.

When finished, Hotshot here will have a whole bunch of accessories, including the Matrix (as I am going to use him as the leader of my Armada Autobot team), the Star Saber, a special driver, and a modified Subaru gun (hopefully).

Of course, comments and critiques are always welcome...and I already know Hotshot is not the most popular character...so hopefully all of the posts aren't about how "Hotshot sucks...hahaha"

Attached Files:

2. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Here is a pic of the front end. The hood and front grill is from Alternators Smokescreen. The front bumper, and headlights/foglights are from Silverstreak.

I removed the license plate and just let the intercooler/grill show through.

I also blackened the inside of the headlights with flat black enamel. (Its had to see in the pics, bcause of the flash)

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the top. I tried to keep the look of Armada Hotshot by emulating the "vents" or whatever it was upposed to be on the roof and rear hatch.

For this I printed out some carbon fiber cross-hatching and cut to size.

I also placed an Autobot symbol on the spoiler as another reference.

[​IMG]

Here is a closer view of the rear-end:

[​IMG]

And, the last picture I took with my now-dead digital camera, a picture of the license plate and hatch area:

[​IMG]

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This one looks great man! Good work!

I would also like to say that you really achieved a peek here with your customs in this concept: You achieved a very nice gestalt with the amalgamation of both the Armada line and the Alternators line. Althought yours (and other guys' customs) shoot for a homage to other lines and characters, this piece has really achieved a nice gestalt with this concept.

I really like your work, but I have to say that this piece is my favorite of yours.

Again, nice work! ;) 

4. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    That's pretty cool! Finish it up nice and post lots of pics!

5. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    JaAM! Looks really good. Personally I think Hasbro should venture into other famous TF's besides Geewun for the Alt line. If they ever did a hotshot , hopefully they'd base it off the Armada version like yours. Great work!

6. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I love it! Great decal work.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That is an AMAZING paintjob, and the decals look great!

What kind of paint did you use for the body work?

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

That looks absolutely FABULOUS!!!

He'd make a perfect partner in crime for:

[​IMG]

9. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Wow....to have these skills would be divine....

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

Thread hijacker! :p 

Man that is one sweet-assed paintjob you have there! I can only hope my first big bot job can look anything like that (though its not an alt)

Andy

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    God blesses through hard work, dilligence, and practice, practice, practice :thumb 

12. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, believe me, I ruined my fair share of Alternators to get where I am now. Gotta love the massive junk bin I have!

Just think, without the help on these boards/forums, I not only wouldn't even have known this hobby existed, nor would I even be any good.

I get a lot of my feedback from friends online, like Superquad, and from everyone on the boards that leave comments and criticism. This serves to guide onto not only what to do next, but how to tackle it.

Hotshot here, got his inspiration not only from a fellow member of Tfans, but also on the fact that nobody else caters to these great characters that were just..."abused..."

Hotshot as a character really rocked, (at least in my mind) and it was just poor that he hasn't had a really good toy until Cybertron, and now...Alternators...hahaha

Hotshot was made from left over bits and pieces of Smokescreen, Silverstreak, and Ricochet. He was sanded down, and painted using Krylon Fusions's Sunbeam Yellow, along with Krylon Fusion Firepepper Red, and Satin (bot mode) and Gloss Black (alt mode). Tio finish it off, I used some Testors silver enamel to add highlights on the hood and roof.

I am still at work now...which sucks...so I'm not gonna be able to take pics of bot-mode for a little bit. I want to finish all of the accessories and everything before I show the bot mode. (That, and the head is a lot tougher to work with than I thought...)

Who knows, I might even have a vote as to which head I should go with...complete with pics.

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lookin good!

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That looks great so far. That one of the rat's looks great in bot mode. He did a good job w the head sculpt.

Looks like a very tough task , but looks good so far

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    So far so good. I like the alt.mode. :thumb 

16. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Alright, I know you guys want to see Hotshot in bot mode, so I do have a few pics of just that.

I have a story and reasoning behind the way he looks, but the basic idea, is that when Hotshot enters the BT/Alternator storyline, he is looking for Red Alert and Jetfire. Both went missing not too long ago.

Hotshot, being unprepared for an attack by Starscream gets mauled, and blacks out. When he comes to, he is damaged and can barely move, and Starscream has disappeared. He is no longer in the field, but rather on a surgery table.

Armada Red Alert greats him briefly, but doesn't have time to go into detail about what has happened. Hotshot's spark is moved to a new BT body. The Subaru "Smokesceen" mold was chosen. With this body he was also given a missile launcher to resemble his Minicon-activated ability from the past.

I have not completed the accessories yet, as I am still waiting on my order from Testors.com (Since Hobby "shops" in my area don't carry anything other than your basic colors.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    The head is based on Alternators Smokescreen, the horns have been dremeled off, and the head has been severely sanded and rounded down.

I am using a visor from Cybertron Dark Scorpinok. It is held on with small screws. It does flip down. It was a hard decision to make on which visor to use.

I wanted to avoid using the Jaamtastic head of the Armada mold, and while the Powerlinx mold had a much better face sculpt, when painted yellow and slapped on the body, it was way too small.

I also tried the original Hotshot visor, as well as the visor from a Sigma 6 Snake-Eyes...none of them really looked right. At least the Scorpinok visor gives him the new BT/Alternator tech-edge look.

As I complete the accessories, I will post new pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Nice job in both Alt and Bot modes.

19. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    Very well done. Me Likey. If you ever decide to sell that let me know.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Glad to see you went with the suggestion from a mysterious bot *looks around* with the black Scorpo visor that you had come up with; it looks great! Nice job all around! I still say this one is my favorite piece of yours so far (and I really liked Starscream too).

The story is good too! I'm also working on a story for my Alternators/Binaltechs (customs + factory) as well. I'm wanting to illustrate some of the scenes from my fanfic too (I do a lot of 2-D illustration as well as customs :p ).

Keep 'em coming man! Super work!