Minor/Repaint: Snarl's misleading swivels... and a new knee!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Jul 23, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

I originally posted this in the Animated Toys Discussion, but I'm reposting here in Minor Mods at Plowking's request, since some people might actually want to voluntarily inflict this upon their figures. I apologize that the photos are not better; I didn't plan to turn this into a full walkthrough tutorial. I hope these will suffice.

-------------------------------

So I finally located Animated Snarl/Slag (Aka Snarlag) last night, and happily cracked him open as soon as I got home. I got him into bot mode without much difficulty, and started playing with posing him. It was kind of hard to position or balance him, so I started looking him over for "secret" joints I might have missed. Below his knee is a seam in the plastic where two parts have been connected, and it REALLY looks like it ought to swivel at that point.

Protip: It doesn't. :redface2: 

[​IMG]
    "Some parts are made to detach if excessive force is applied." Right.

Having broken the figure less than ten minutes out of the package, I was faced with one of two options: Return it, or Fix it. I decided to take it apart and see if a repair was feasible before I considered exchanging it -- plus I'm a sucker for taking things apart. You never know when something can be "Improved". :ev: 

After removing the side of the thigh panel, I removed the two screws in this photo to see what was inside of the joint I had broken:

[​IMG]
    Note: This bit? Don't try to turn it. Just don't.

Inside, I found a T-shaped peg. Obviously not meant to be turned. Oops.

[​IMG]
    Hooray for blurry photos of Leg Pegs. ...Peg Legs?

After fiddling with the pieces for a bit and looking at the way they connected, I figured that there was no reason why it couldn't be converted INTO a functional swivel joint. So I fished through my spare screws until I found a pair whose screw heads fit securely inside the hollow where the T_shaped peg used to be, and that weren't too long (less than a quarter inch.)

Using my X-acto knife, I carved off the stump and smoothed down the area a bit. After carving off the remains of the peg, there's still a rectangular "Scar" in the plastic, which is good. I started a small hole with the tip of the X-acto in the absolute center of the rectangular scar, then opened it up further with a hand drill. Since the screws are short, I didn't need much room, plus there is a hollow channel just below the scar, which saves you some drilling, and excels at holding an invading screw in place. :thumbs2: 

[​IMG]
    Crappy photo of rectangular scar and little hole.

From here, all I had to do was actually screw in the screw -- it left stress marks on the inside where it was gripping, but since it doesn't cause any problems and looks kinda cool, (like shock absorbers in his knees) I don't mind. Just be sure that you leave JUST ENOUGH of the screw protruding for it to fit inside the two halves of the knee, while still gripping the inside of the peg hollow tightly enough that the swivel isn't all loose and floppy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh man his knee is SCREWED.

After a satisfactory test fit and screwing the whole leg back together again, I liked it so much I willfully lopped off the other leg's peg and performed the same modification. The result is a leg that swivels below the knee, and thanks to the design of the leg itself, doesn't look too out of place doing so.

[​IMG]
    Please don't stare at my beak.

And this, of course, leads to new posability in turn:

[​IMG]
    I has a Cheeto.

Plus he can actually hold some pretty funky balancing/dancing poses now:

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I had beans for lunch.

So yes, the Serendipity in breaking his leg led to a new bionic replacement, increased articulation, and all across the land everyone was happy. Except for Grimlock.

[​IMG]
    BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL!

Attached Files:

2. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Yet again something so simple Hasbro could have done int the firstplace. When I get "Snarl" Ill have to remember to do that myself

3. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Exactly. Well congratulations on the serendipitous accident shadowstitch, and great job on the fix!

4. ShadowStitch

Thanks!

Also, it kind of adds to the beast mode as well, as you can twist his front legs outwards and he looks a bit more ...combative. :D 

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *ponder*

Would it be possible to just shave down the T Peg to make it a swiveling joint?

6. ShadowStitch

Someone mentioned this in the other thread, and while it sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure it would work. You'd have to try it and see.

The only problem I might foresee with that approach is that the T-peg is designed to only fit in horizontally, so while there is a small amount of clearance on all sides inside the socket, the head of the T-peg itself only really has overhang on two sides. If that makes any sense.

I was afraid this would lead to a situation where...if the leg is turned too far to one side, it simply falls out of the socket. But it could be do-able... I'd love it if someone would give it a try!

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting this is over here ShadowStitch.....:D 

As far as the pics, I fixed what I could for you, you only had 7 of your initial 11 hosted in the "manage attachments folder" but there is a 10 image limit, so, you would have to eliminate 1 of them.....if you go to edit your post, you can see what I did to make the images show up in the post :thumb 

8. ShadowStitch

I see wut u did there. ;)  Thanks!

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    No problem....thanks for sharing with us here!! :thumb 

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Awesome mod! The lower leg swivel totally fits this character's sumo-like proportions!

If only it was as easy to fix the similarly misleading front legs on Sigma Six Timber. I had the exact same thing happen, where a joint was OBVIOUSLY a swivel joint... except OOPS it wasn't. :( 

Also, your tutorial was hilarious. Thanks for sharing. :) 

zmog

11. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Well executed :thumb  thanks for posting

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    very slick. its a great feeling to turn a huge negative into a clear-cut positive!

13. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Very cool mod, and excellent tutorial. I don't have Sla...narl, but it's still handy.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm, I may have to line up a few extra screws to be ready in waiting on this guy. The extra posibility they give him is simple yet effective.

Nice work, and grats on the fix

15. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

nice mod

16. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Dude, that is awesome!! :rock 

:lolol  @ the subtitles

17. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I see "Cheeto" in the tags, heh,his weapon is pretty much a cheeto.
    I can't wait to try this once i get a second Snarl. (I don't wanna cut my Snarl to pieces as it was a gift) The lack of posability on the mold is way dissapointing.

18. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Finally got a Snarl myself and I'm looking to do this mod. Have second coming that will be getting a proper Snarl treatment so I can call the first Slag so this will help me twice:) 

19. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I did this mod a few weeks ago. It really adds to the figure. They should have made it like this!