Smoking and Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Corbet, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Being the cheap (poor) college student, I am stuck in my parent's house. The problem? They both smoke. My collection is in my room and consists of some MIB stuff (bookstyle reissues).

My question is if they are taken out of the house and "aired" out for an extended amount of time would the smell ever go away? This applys to both the actual plastic loose toys and the cardboard boxes/cards. Surely someone has experience with this.

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Don't know how to fix the problem, but definitely get your parents to stop smoking. My girlfriend's mom learned that lesson the hard way (she has to carry around an oxygen tank now).

3. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Guys... it's not that easy. My mom is the real smoker and she is trying to quit (prescription) but she has to want to quit, I can't make her. But hey, what can ya do?

4. ptolemaiosxiii

ptolemaiosxiii Soldier of Misfortune

Now being a smoker and trying my best to not start a smoking flame war (hehe)...

I'd say you should be good to go if you just keep the door to your room closed. The smell of smoke can be washed off of anything as long as you take it slow and steady as to not damage packaging (a quick cleaning with damp cloth should be fine and not damage the cardboard). As long as a burning cigarette isn't sitting right next to them 24 hours a day(to yellow the figure or plastic ), nothing should be permanent.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got some BW figures from I think Captured Prey a few months back that had been owned by a smoker previously. They were pretty grungy when they arrived, you could just feel it when handling them. I took some windex and cotton balls/cue tips and cleaned them up, now they look pretty much brand new. No smell, no layer of tar/smoke/ash/whatever it was.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I also have recieved a couple TFs from ebay that were obviously fom smoking homes...since they've been in a smoke-free home for several years now, the smell is completely gone.

7. Corbet

Corbet Wanderer

Thanks for the input guys. It's a relief knowing that the items will not be permanently damaged. Many of my items are actually away in storage, so I'm guessing they're pretty clean, but I still have quite a few in my room.

8. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

Another good way is to take your Transformers and seal them in Tupperware containers. Plastic leaches the smell out of other plastic, and when you do this, it should dramatically cut down the fetid stench of cigarette butts. I've heard this tip on action figure boards in the past, and it apparently works quite well.

Matt

9. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

My grandmother used to smoke ALOT. Like two a day. She doesn't do it now (thank God).

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I know the smoke will tarnish the plastic over time. At leas there not drunk and Transformers and would probally break them.

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Try blowing some weed smoke over them, that'll help cover up that nasty cigarette smell.

12. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

hahahaha, the most harmful thing is that yeah, over time it will start to yellow plastic and packaging. having them exposed to sunlight is worse though.

in regards to your parent's bad habit their is a book called "the easy way to stop smoking". it sounds like total shit but a friend who quit had his friend mail it from his apt. in new york and i told him i'd read it since he went through so much trouble.

it doesn't use any normal tactics on quitters, it basically brainwashes you to stop just by reading the book.

the only positive benefit of smoking is the social part of it and sadly, im right back on cigarettes after being free for 3 months.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I would seal them away in cardboard boxes with lots and lots of packing tape until I moved to a smoke-free house/apartment/dorm.

14. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Getting them away from the smoke will allow the smell to dissipate over time, but the layer of tar will still be there.

15. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    former smoker here. I can't give you any advice about the TFs, as I've never smoked inside my home. However, as for your mom and dad: It's mind over matter. Her not quitting as of yet tells me that she doesn't want to quit.

I did try, and I did relapse once. But you've got to want it, just like anything else in life. So the 2nd time, I quit cold turkey. It was a bit nervewracking, but I chewed gum, kept busy, went to the gym. So now - it's been years since I've outright smoked.

16. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I just never started. As for the Transformers, time and/or a careful cleaning should take care of the smell and appearance.

17. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

For a quick way to get rid of smell seal your tfs in a plastic bag with an open pack of backing soda. Leave them for a few days, they should come out smelling "fresh".

18. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Fantastic Idea... Just be careful not to get the baking soda all over the transformers themselves... it's not fun to have to clean all the nooks and crannies.... Trust me, I did It myself.

19. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

This thread makes me WANT to smoke.

Just seal them up or keep the door closed.