Smoke stench

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omegax80, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Bought some G1 figures off eBay, seller "neglected" to mention that they came from a smoker's home.

How the f*** do I get rid of the stench?!?!

2. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Put them in pantyhose and completely cover them with cat litter with a little bit of baking soda mixed in. This will help significantly. You will probably have to dust them with canned air or a hair dryer on cool when you're done.

If that doesn't work, start smoking, and you won't notice. :) 

But seriously, the litter/baking soda should help a lot.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

You can also store them in an airtight container with some dryer sheets. That seemed to work OK for me.

Give them a basic cleaning too. Preferably this is the first thing you should do. Water + Toothbrush or some soap if you like.

4. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Febreeze. Worked for me in a similar situation. I didn't spray it directly on the toy, but watered it down, and dipped a rag in it, and wiped the toy down. I disassembled it to get inside some of the trickier spots, and used a combination of a toothbrush and Q-Tips to get the nooks and crannies.

Just like new afterwards.

5. Omegax80

News Credits:
    Wow. never heard of that before. I don't have any litter but just the baking soda.

Never tried the dryer sheets before. I'll give that a try. I have cleaned dirty figures in past with water/soap on q-tips to clean them up. Hopefully this would work for smoke stinks.

I'm cautious about febreeze because of the chemicals, but i can try something new for the smell.

6. Magnus2355

Magnus2355 Active Member

Just leave them outside on a windy day in the shade, after a few days the smell will be gone.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up some BW figures a while back that had been in a smoker's home. They didn't smell so much, but they were covered in a layer of.. well, smoke residue I guess. I took them all apart (just popped apart at ball joints, didn't get overly crazy) and washed them down with soap and water, Q-tips where necessary. They came out smelling fine and looking great.

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Put some baking soda on a plastic tray like the smaller microwaveable ones. Put this inside a big box together with the figures. Close the box and after a week or so the smell would be gone or at least improve.

9. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Two is usually tops. It works though.

10. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive done the exact same thing, it worked like a charm.

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I had that problem with a Titanium Scourge. I layed into the seller and he assured me he had never smoked a day in his life. Apparently mail carriers are allowed to smoke in their vehicles. And that foul fucking invasive noxious stench that inconsiderate smokers billow out sticks to everything. It seeps into sealed boxes an infuses with anything that isn't air-tight.

I only hope I'm alive to see the end of smoking permanently. That's got to be the single most disgustingly foul contrivance ever committed by mankind.

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All good tips, thanks for the info.

I'd assume this would get rid or mask pretty much any offensive odor a figure might have. It's not just smoking, people have pets, etc.

The litter thing intrigues me. I never thought of such a thing. The windy day thing's fantastic. Who knew simple worked best? lol

13. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I can't understand anyone who collects toys and smokes. I've never smoked in my own house as an on again off again smoker for the last 15 years. TF's are more important..

14. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

A smoky mail ride wouldn't do that to it and it would've changed hands a few times. The guy would've had to seal the windows AND blow it directly into the box for 24 hours or more and the mail is in the back usually. That seller was a smoker and wiggled out of it. I smoke around my transformers and have for years but I have a fan in the window pulling it out and I sit beside it when I do. Never had anyone tell me anything I traded or sold smelled like smoke yet. Not all us smokers want to live in it 24/7 either, it does stink. It's also the most addictive drug known to man, they've done tests proving heroin is easier to quit. :(  Gotta go, fiendin'. :) 

15. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same exact thing just happened to me. I've been soaking it in dish soap to no effect. I'll try the other stuff you all mentioned.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Looking over this thread, I think there is some great advice to help remedy this problem. You guys rock yet again :cool: 

17. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah.

Won't anyone think of the children's... toys?

18. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I'll try the outdoor thing too. I know some plastics absorb the stink and it is hard to get out. Hopefully these figures won't have that issue...

I tried soaking before, but I've found that using a tissue or q-tip to brush/scrub the plastic works better.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's like saying you can't understand anyone who collects stamps and drinks. One thing is totally independent of the other.

Or perhaps you meant that you can't understand how collectors can smoke when it's something that can potentially degrade their collections (stains and smells).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I had this happen with a Animated Leader Megs off here. I sprayed Febreeze up into the air and let it drift back on him a couple times while rotating then put him in tupperware with dryersheets and came back a week later. Was mostly gone, just a little airing was all it needed then.