Smartphone recomendations for my Dad?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Napjr, May 3, 2012.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys!

My dad is interested on getting a smartphone so he can browse the internet and such activities that most people are doing in this era :) . HeĀ“s been using different cellphones over the years, but never a smartphone

Anyway, im down to two options, an Iphone 3GS and a Nokia Lumia 710 with Windows Mango (both options free on our current data plan)

What im looking for him its something that is:
    *Easy to use and learn
    *Easy to read (He is 53 years old, only issue its, eer long sightedness? thats the english term i think)
    *Easy to fix!

The main use he wants is to browse the web for his bussiness, as well take pictures and such. Email clients, calendar, and other services would be needed but the defaults installed on each phone are more than enough

Currently, im using an Iphone 4 so i have experience with IOs, i found it very easy to use and very intuitive, as well fool proof to fix in most cases. Ive been using it for almost 2 years and its a MUST for my current bussiness. I like that you can change the Font size without problem, but then again mine uses Retina Display... unlike the 3GS (wich i havent handled properly)

Also, ive seen quite a lot of younger people of my generation (im 27) struggle with the iphone for different reasons, but then again its the same kind of people that struggle to send an email from hotmail for example

Im not so sure to let him play with my iphone currently since i have it with jailbreak and a shitload of stuff. However, my bro just received a New Ipad today so before he uses it, im gonna let my Dad play with it for a while, since the basic apps are the same

On the other side, i saw a display Nokia Lumia and after my first use with Windows Mango, i like the fact that the apps access is really easy, big icons (or windows), and seems to flow really smooth. Since i handled it very briefly and wasnt configured, i couldnt try internet services or the handicap configurations (although ive read you cant increase font size on Mango)

How easy is to reboot the phone in case something crashes? Just press the windows key like in the iphone? a Soft reboot?, or you would need to remove the battery?

My mom has a low end Android phone (LG P350 with OS 2.1 i think), and while its been easy for her, most of the time she struggles with it, and well, ive had some minor issues too

Well, what advice could you give me guys?

Thanks in advance!
    Nap

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    How smart is your dad with phones? If not particularly au fait with them, I'd suggest the iPhone but don't jailbreak it. Keep it simple for him, iOs is probably the easiest OS to cope with.

3. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm going to have to second this motion.

4. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I would say go with the lumia instead of the iphone, the tiles that lumia uses are easier and better than the iphones ui which imo is just a big cluster of icons.

5. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not experience whatsoever with smartphones at all and struggles using Windows on a PC

If we choose the Iphone, it would be completely stock to avoid problems with jailbreaks and such :) 

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don't do what my Dad did, get an iPhone, and a friend jailbroke it for him and loaded a load of software that he never ever used.

Then when he plugged it into his PC to charge or whatever it asked him to do an update...

Suddenly he had an iPhone shaped brick...

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My dad has an iPhone and totally loves it. He had an iPhone before I did :lol 

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Go iPhone my step father just got one and had no iOS experiances and now has no problems with it.

9. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Iphone seems to be the main choice uh? anymore opinions?

My dad is playing with the ipad right now, havent got many questions about using it so far (unlike the android last night)

10. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    I would suggest a Samsung mini Galaxy. My mother uses it. It's very easy to handle, has good specs for a small phone, and is generally appealing to adults.

11. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Samsung Galaxy Mini uh? Lemme check about availability on our carrier as well reviews, thanks for the tip!