Smart phone advice needed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, Nov 1, 2009.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi guys and gals. It's phone time again, and I'm needing to get a smart phone this time. I'm looking at the Blackberry Storm 2 and the Tour. When I talked to the salesperson (who is a friend that I trust), I was told to wait for the Droid. I wanted to ask all my tech savy friends on here and get opinions between the three. I've got a couple of weeks before I have to decide. Thanks in advance.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    What provider do you have? That's important when asking for phone advice. Otherwise everyone is going to shout iPhone (me included).

3. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

It seems that you're going back to Verizon from the phones you're listing out. If so, I'd skip the Storm and wait for the Droid. It has a damn fast processor, great build quality, and a great OS (Android). If you think you might switch to another provider, you could go with the iPhone on AT&T like Gog said.

4. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Well, last I checked, Hell hasn't frozen over, so I'm not going back to ATT. I had horrible experiences with them after being with them for years. Will never go back. I'm sticking with Verizon. Their customer service isn't always the greatest, but I have no complaints on their phone service. Sorry I didn't mention that. Guess I figured the Droid would give it away. Thanks guys.

5. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Well, seeing as his options are the Blackberry Storm 2 and the Droid, both of those are Verizon exclusives, I would say his provider is Verizon Wireless.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Droid. A guy I work with is going absolutely nuts over it and will be getting it first day. And the Cnet review of it gives it a 4 out of 5 stars. (Granted they admit that they have had limited time with it so far and will be updating their review of it as they have more time to mess around with it.)

I'm seriously considering the Droid as well, even though I am a current ATT customer and want the iPhone badly. I just can't overlook the complaints over ATT's coverage, and am thinking about switching over to Verizon.

Edit: damn, I took too long to type that! haha

6. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, seeing as he didn't mention if he was on a contract, obligated or even happy with his current provider, willing to or not willing to switch providers, a lot of assumptions can be made, and that's all important info when asking for phone advice. People can and do choose providers based entirely on hardware.

7. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Looking back at what I wrote, it did seem like I was trying to be cocky.

My apology, good sir.

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I recommend not getting any Blackberry phones. I have serious problems with those, mostly having to do with the interface. They aren't as fast as they should be, and just aren't worth the price.

The Droid is looking to be a great phone. It has super-fast processor, a cool interface, and is just one of the better phones Motorola has made in the past few years. I like the iPhone, but the Droid comes dangerously close to passing over it, just because how limited customization is on the iPhone, and how open the Droid is.

Another phone I might suggest is the HTC Touch Diamond. I love HTC phones, and this one is no exception. It didn't get the greatest reviews, but I had one before I got an iPhone, and it was wonderful. Just something you might want to look into.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I would say at lest wait until the Droid is out and you see some hands on reviews. I have yet to hear anything about the Storm that makes me think it's worth owning.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  10. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If you stay with Verizon, watch for price floating. I had been with them for a long time, and in the year before I switched to AT&T my bill had gone up around 30%. I had the same contract for a while, and since I didn't go back in and re-sign a contract after my old one was through they just "adjusted" my contract to where they thought it should be. After that I tried to sign a new contract the same or similar to the old one, and it was going to be even more pricey.

Just something to watch for.

11. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Droid.

storm 2 is supposed to fix the processor issues and bugs of the storm1 but bb is old and a boring platform built for business people that only need corporate email access. bb also has very limited apps.

12. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Wait for the Droid to come out, then go to a Verizon store or Best Buy and play around with it for awhile. Then try out other phones you are interested in and compare! That's the best way to tell what phone will be good for your needs.

Also, Verizon has a 30 day Return on phones (minus any fine print mumbo jumbo) so if you get a phone and you find it's not your cup of tea, you can exchange it for another.

If you are going to get the Droid, I would suggest maybe waiting to get it rather than getting it as soon as you can because prices on phones change all the time and there may be a special soon after it's released (it happened on the newest line up of LG phones and the iPhone when it first came out).

Here's the link to the CNET review of the Droid: Motorola Droid (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Another good site for phone reviews is Phone Scoop as they have lots of user reviews for different phones. However, since the Droid is not out yet, there are no reviews yet. But they will start showing up once it is released.

I hope this has been helpful!

13. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Thanks everybody. I'm thinking I'll wait until I can have a Droid in my hands before I make a decision. It's probably what I'll go with. I'm sure with it being the big new thing, there will be more and more stuff coming out for it.