Smart Ideas

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 28, 2009.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Now, both critics and fans seem to agree on one thing: giant robots and explosions are all here is to TF. Critics lambaste it as Hasbro's wet dream, whilst fans are delighted to see more robots in the fray. ROTF, by stripping the story to its ribs and packing the film with robots and blow-ups, points in this direction.

But is this really all there is to TF as a film franchise? Besides the rich mythos behind the series and its many alternate universes, are there more ideas to mine and present on screen? I for one think that the sheer idea of aliens living alongside mankind is a rich source of material - a theme some sci-fi has touched on.

I don't feel that TF is inevitably a kid's movie - although it certainly appeals to the child in all of us. Given that the successful formula of robots+explosions has perhaps run its course with ROTF, perhaps TF can turn in a more, dare I say, intelligent direction. Stunning battle sequences and thought-provoking questions are not mutually exclusive - the former can maintain the franchise's main appeal whilst the latter doesn't have to be all THAT complicated (read: Iron Man, TDK). But by surprising its naysayers with some intelligent themes, the TF series might just find a new audience.

Ideas I have:
    - Decepticons abandoning Megatron and converting to Autobots (very interesting idea in ROTF that can be expounded on)
    - More TFs on earth means potential rivalry to Optimus (Introducing Grimlock? This rival faction might have different ideas as to interacting with the humans)
    - TFs living amongst humans - now known to everyone (What might be the consequences?)
    - An evil human conspiring with Megatron (A human antagonist after two successive TF baddie - plus the interestinf dynamics of why these two evildoers need each other)
    - A plot to chase the Autobots from Earth - using the humans! (I'd love to see a very emotional scene of Optimus leading his kind from Earth to an uncertain future)
    - Civil war between humans and Autobots (Perhaps have a major Autobot die in human hands - Ironhide, perhaps, while protecting Arcee. This battle, instigated by said human antagonist, will be a major sequence, with human troops waging war against an Autobot faction.)
    - A split within the Autobots (One led by Grimlock, the other by OP, split by ideological lines - and have one of OP's oldest comrades defect to other side after human antagonism)

I'd mentioned some of these in the TF3 sticky, but thought these might lead beyond a third film alone.

So everyone else, besides more robots& explosions, what other thought-provoking ideas do you have? I know very little bout the TF mythos, so any ideas from there would be welcome. The only qualification is that it should bring a new twist and edge to the TF franchise.

2. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

-sam runs around/visits a theme park called jurrasic park ( wink :p  )

-falls with a piece of the allspark and creates a energy wave

-t-rex eyes glow

-decepticons invade theme park

-fire is started because of the fichting and the dinosaurs catch fire and there skin is starting to burn up/melt

-when the fire is over, all that remains except rubble, are 5 metal "skelletons" of the dinosaurs (t-rex, brachiosaurus, stegosaurus, triceratops and a pterodactyl ).

3. monosierra

Be serious!

4. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    2 hours of robot Arcee, Chromia and Purple bike running and bouncing in slow motion.

5. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

i am :D 

6. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Um, smart ideas is something this movie does not have. Lets just focus on awesome action scenes shall we?

7. monosierra

I disagree. There is more to TF than just action - like I said, good ideas and compelling action are not mutually exclusive.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Dude, this is the Bayverse. Let your standards sink to their lowest. Only the most ardent Defenders of the Faith would claim that this thing has a good plot or the capability to be smart. The movie is dumb, pretty, and loud.

Smart is the last word someone would use to describe this movie series.

9. monosierra

Look beyond Bay (Big fan of his, by the way) - and the reason why I started the thread was that ROTF was not smart in any sense of the word, and the only direction this points to is more robots & action, which is something the franchise can grow out of.

10. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Personally, I think these are great ideas...

- Soundwave meets up with Megatron and Starscream on Mars. The three discuss their plans and send down some protoforms, maybe five or six, to Earth. These protoforms scan vehicles and they all combine to form Bruticus later on.
    - Starscream finds Thundercracker and Skywarp on Cybertron and the three decide to head down to Earth. Later on, they kidnap Sam and Mikaela.
    - Ratchet and Jolt rescue Sam and Mikaela; Jolt, having not had much screen time in ROTF, is the one who suggests things and stuff to Ratchet. I dunno.
    - Megatron tells Soundwave that Bumblebee killed Ravage. Soundwave roars/shouts in anger, transforms into a Cybertronian Jet, and storms off to Earth
    - The Twins still mess with Leo and give him shit; afterwards, the three form an alliance and Skids and Mudflap serve as Leo's gaurdians.
    - Both Soundwave AND Barricade fight Bumblebee in an epic 2-on-1 battle. Barricade just kind of appears out of nowhere, like Scorponock in ROTF. However, unlike Scorponock getting killed in 2 seconds, Barricade survives.
    - After Soundwave and Barricade kick Bumblebee's ass (not killing him), the two, being spies, do a lot of important work throughout most of the movie.
    - FINAL BATTLE: Meanwhile, Megatron is feeling grief after killing Optimus in ROTF and doing all the other bad things he's ever done; Starscream betrays Megatron and shoots him in the back. The two have a long, serious fight. After Megatron lays the hurt on Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp even start attacking Megatron. Meanwhile, the Autobots are at an old industrial plant; suddenly, Optimus notices five-six big vehicles headed their way. They start to combine and form Bruticus. The following Autobots take him on: Optimus, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Jolt, Sideswipe, Skids and Mudflap, Chromia, Wheeljack, and Perceptor. After they all get seriously hurt, Megatron shows up and starts whailing on Bruticus. The Autobots are shocked and Megatron meets up with Optimus; he wants him to use his powers but, unlike Jetfire sacrificing himself, Megatron still lives. Jolt does the same procedure like Jetfire/Prime. May seem repetitive but, since this is Megatron and Optimus, two rivals now-turned best friends again, is a great idea. Optimus and Megatron even transform into a super-powerful battle tank that takes out Bruticus. After a heated battle, the two seperate and Megatron apologizes to all the Autobots for everything he has done in the past. It takes awhile for the Autobots to reply but Optimus gives a good forgiveness speech and they all roll out. However, Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp attack the Autobots and even see Megatron following them. Megatron transforms and shoots Skywarp out of the sky right away; the other Autobots transform; Wheeljack takes Thundercracker out. Starscream, furious and being outnumbered, declares himself the new leader of the Decepticons. However, Soundwave and Barricade surprise-attack Starscream and pin him down. Optimus and Megatron approach him, aiming their guns at his face, and arrest him on the spot, using some chain-like devices to tie him up. They load up Starscream on Stratosphere, who brings him back to Cybertron, where Ultra Magnus makes a cameo to lock him up. Afterwards, Optimus and Megatron make an ending speech.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Honestly, without sarcasm, I really don't understand why you'd want smart ideas at this point in time. We're two-thirds of the way through with these movies. Why do you suddenly want NOW to have smart ideas? Its like we went 2/3 of the way and you want backtrack in the opposite direction.

Push on. Go the last third and take the ideas and style of the previous two ideas to the penultimate. Why not? Its been very successful. People will still pay. Take it to new levels of dumb. Set a Guiness record.

Have the Oscar Meyer weinermobile. Thats exactly along the style of this director. Why fight it and not just enjoy the ride? Turn off the brain. Or just don't pay for tickets and wait till all these movies blow over.

12. monosierra

That's what I wanted after TF1. But after ROTF, I was left wondering if more robots & explosions are all the TF franchise can give. I'm not even a TF fan amd I think more can be made out of this series.

Its not like we're talking grand ideas here - heck, even Star Trek was praised as a plotty film, not to mention last summer's stalwarts IronMan and TDK.

My fear is that most non-core audiences will have enough of giant robots after ROTF, and will need an extra edge to draw them back to the cinema. I'm confident TF3 will do well again with the same formula, but I think for the sake of the series, some smart ideas can do no harm.

And let's not forget Bay had tried thought-provoking sci-fi before (The Island) although that didn't work out well. And the screenwriting team had done Star Trek. So the creative team can do some smart ideas if they want to.

13. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!

If you're not a Transformers fan.....then WHY are you on a Transformers forum? :inquisiti 

14. monosierra

Because I'm a mecha fan - and since no anime live action films are being made, TF is the closest it gets to, say, an Evangelion remake.

I love the first TF film, and hope the franchise can continue beyond a trilogy.

15. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Ah, I see. Sorry about what I said.

16. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i saw megatron as still weak from his movie one beat down. so i want him to become more powerful. also he was too calm in rotf. in tf3 i want batshit crazy.
    devs should come back, he still had light in his eyes when he fell.
    also simmons finds out hes leos dad

17. monosierra

Haha nice one. I think the alien invasion/earth destroying scenario can be given a new lease of life - any ideas?