Small trend I have been noticing with non movie toys....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    [Edit] Here is the rule that I am using in this example, as it may be misinterpreted:

- If the figure was in the original US G1 Cartoon (seasons 1-4) then they are G1 classics figures and go along with the G1 classics line.
    - If the figure does not fit this rule, then they fall into a second bucket (Which I just use as a "comic" shelf)

The trend I noticed is that for this second bucket, there are a lot more Decepticons being released then Autobots. So to me the trend is that it is an attempt to even out the sides. My example and original post is below.
    [End Edit]

So I have been noticing that for Non movie, non G1 classics toys the Decepticons have been highly out numbering the amount of Autobots.

Let me just give you a quick example of my shelf and how out numbered my "comic" autobots are:

I have a shelf were there is a big brawl. On this shelf I have:
    Autobots:
    - Drift (Non G1 - completely new character)
    - Hardhead (Season 4 G1)
    - Silverbolt (Season 2 G1)
    - G2 Tanker Optimus (G2, I guess he could be consider out of the equation, kind of, but not really)

Decepticons:
    - Skullgrin
    - Straus-x
    - Lockdown
    - Banzai Tron
    - Bludgeon
    - Lugnut
    - Onslaught (Season 1 G1, doesn't count)
    - Terradive
    - Spacecase
    - Nemisis Prime
    - Skyshadow
    - Thunderwing

If I am counting the correct figures, that you would discount G1 on and kept it comic. It is a 1 to 10 release of Decepticons to Autobots.

Also, in the Prime Cartoon, the Decepticons highly outnumber the Autobots. With the Terracons, it is clear they are influenced by Battlestar Galactica but it still interesting non the less.

It's almost like they are making up for the fact that in G1 Autobots outnumbered the hell out of Decepticons.

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    But it evens out, because there are still more overall Autobot Classics than decepticons. I don't think they divvy them up as comics and non when coming up with character ideas.

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Very true, which is part of my point. There use to be a theory that bad guys don't sell. But now it seems like they do. Well, maybe. We as collectors cannot gauge that.

4. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt that much planning goes into it as a toyline.

Having villains rocks, though.

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I think of late, Autobots have been outnumbering the Decepticons. Especially considering there's a Bumblebee or Optimus Prime in every other wave.

Just because your... somewhat arbitrary system doesn't reflect that doesn't mean it's not true.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The way it should be. The Good Guys should be outnumbered by the bad guys.

The whole point of supporting the goods guys is the opression and the adventure of them defeating the big bad team.

Also you lack many Autobots in the shelf like Wreck-Gar, Kup, Wheeljack, Warpath, Tracks, Jazz, Perceptor, Junkheap, Grapple who were released in the last year or so.

7. GataKiriBaOOO

GataKiriBaOOO Got to Keep it Real

"If you only count these three Autobots, and seventeen Decepticons according to my arbitrary rules, there's like a billion Decepticons!"

You can make any set of rules that makes one side look unbalanced. In reality, I'd think we'd all agree the TF toys of Autobots vastly outnumber the Decepticons. Why? Kids want more good guys.

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    It has been nice to see the ranks of the Decepticons expanding recently, it's almost leveling out with the sheer insane amount of Autobots.

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

So out of curiosity, what is this system you use, Alucard? I can't figure it out.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well while the rules maybe arbitrary, it goes to show that non G1 figures, bad guys outnumber good.

Hence the new trend.

Bumblebee and Optimus are still original G1 figures.

Also the line for the Generations were all G1 as well.

So basically, newly designed figures, not based on G1 tend to be bad guys. To even out the whole bad vs. good guy numbers.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    OK, I could see what you mean. So here is my thinking:

If a figure comes out that was in the original G1 cartoon, then it goes towards G1 classics.

If the figure was not in the G1 cartoon (original), then it goes into the second tier which I labeled as "comics" for all intensive purposes.

This second tier seems to tremendously favor Decepticons over Autobots.

I hope that makes sense.

12. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well...even with 3rd party items, my all-inclusive Classicverse Decepticons are still pretty damned far behind their Autobot counterparts when it comes to sheer number of troops. I say the more Cons, the merrier.

But...with your logic..................why are Silverbolt & Hardhead on your "non g1" shelf in the first place? Even by your made up rules, they're still very G1...but it's your collection to do what thou wilt. Anyone can manipulate numbers to get the answer they seek. I could put all my season 3 guys on a shelf, minus Junkions, and say that the Cons outnumber the Bots.

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea. I think they definitely do, but I think it's more of a collector vs. casual thing too. We buy everything just to complete that cast, so I don't really think we count i terms of actual appeal.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I discount them and don't count them in the numbers (for Silverbolt and Hardhead, not sure where G2 optimus is)

The reason why they are not on the shelf is because:
    - I have silverbolt as part of Superion. So I decided to throw him on the other shelf.
    - Hardhead, well there are not enough Season 4 characters to have him there as I don't have a season 4 shelf yet. Plus I loved him in the Comics. But, he is not used in my rationale.

15. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Aiight. I can see the logic there then. Personally though, I put all the non-toon guys on the shelf with my Season 1 & 2 guys. If nothing more, to bolster ranks. There are exceptions. I mean, Drift is on my Season 3/Wreckers setup, for example. I play by loosely set rules, I suppose. I accidentally found the old Clocker vs Hardtop 2 pack at my local wallyworld the other day, strangely, and noticed how well Hardtop kinda looks with Lugnut. So he got deployed to that shelf as a counterpart to Seaspray and Breacher. If only their colors were more matched...but nothing some paint can't fix.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I am trying not to replicate figures, but I am very tempted to buy seconds just to have a wreckers comic shelf.

Seeing as I am running out of shelf space, it may not happen.

17. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I hear ya. The only dupes I have bought were either ones for both me and my stepson, replacements, custom fodder, or Junkions and a few Scourges. Other than that, I don't do it. Redecos though...of course.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    In case any one is curious, this is how the shelf/shelves look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking of throwing Junkheap on shelf with Battle Tanker.

19. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The more I see of Prime's battle trailer, the more I lean towards getting it. Nice setup.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well Classics has one huge problem when it comes to G1 Decepticons. Many of the G1 Decepticons were either part of a combiner team, part of a team always seen together like the Insecticons, or in the case of Blitzwing a triple changer.

If we had Classics Constructicons, Stunticons, Combaticons, Seacons, the Predacons, or other teams then that would be a lot more Decepticons. Until Hasbro figures out a way to do something with the old combiner teams the Decepticons the numbers aren't going to be good for the Cons.