Small arms fire against Decepticons.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jestermon, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Just watched ROTF and realized why did any of the human troops waste their lives using those standard guns that seemed to have no effect on the Decepticons.

Most of the time Autobots were killing Decepticons, mostly destroying their heads.

Any the only human weapons that seemed to work were high explosives or large projectile weapons.

So my question is why weren't they just all outfitted with cheap RPG launchers/high explosives and Stingers instead of their more convential anti-personnel weapons.

Or even Heavy machine guns, in the end the 50 cal on the tank firing in conjunction with the tank shells made Megatron turn away.

I think after dealing with them in the first movie the nest team would have had more specific weapons, I'm not even saying they needed Autobot type weapons just the ones that proved effective of our own design.

I mean if all those troops have had large RPG or Stingers they could have taken out Demolishors wheels before he rolled off, their machine guns were totally useless and just got them killed.

It's like in those Superman comics and other movies when they keep shooting the bad guy with the same weapons that haven't worked before.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because shooting guns look cool, and for the whole first half of the fight they were waiting for baldy dude to send over some tanks and shit.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    A mosquito bite, while annoying, probably won't kill you. But a thousand mosquito bites to the face would probably get you to run away too.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This

5. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, the way the final battle was shot you couldn't tell what was actually killing the Cons most of the time. There was Autobot fire, soldier fire, and tank fire hitting them, and in most cases the kill seemed to come from the latter two.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it's got to do with the writers just seemed to be making it up as they went along rather than sitting down one day to say okay what kills Transformers, what injures Transformers, and what weapons just bounce right off. It really seems to be totally inconsistent so when they need a character to be the unstoppable monster nothing even scratches their paint, but when they need to kill off a character it only takes as little as one shot.

7. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Here's my approach to it:
    There are two types of fire issued by the Marines:
    Suppression Fire-Designed to push the 'Cons back and force the advance of the 'bots.
    Kill Fire-Fire designed to kill a 'con.

The Marines where using Supression Fire to hold back the 'cons, so Prime could kill 'em.

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    sad but true.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Could also be they're hoping to get a few rounds in between the armor plating to hopefully do damage to circuitry, hydraulics, etc. But you're right, it seems odd that a special unit designed to fight robots wouldn't be equipped with things to actually damage those robots, especially when they have a good idea of what actually will damage said robots.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's been a while since I've seen it but didn't Captain Lennox tell everyone which weapons to take before the Mission City battle.

If they knew which weapons to use back in the first movie and they had been on a Decepticon hunt for two years as NEST you'd think they would have it figured out by now.

11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the main plot points for the military story was finding out how to best the Cons. When they fought Scorponok, their standard rifles did a litte bit of damage but nothing that could really pose a threat. Only the sabot rounds finally did him in, which Lennox then had loaded on the soldiers' guns. It was pretty clear by the end that the only handheld defense against the robots were sabot rounds, yet for some reason they decide not to use them in ROTF.

12. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, what the hell happened to Sabot rounds?
    I can't even remember seeing any of those guns in RoTF.

13. Sso02V

News Credits:
    They made new anti-robot bullets. There. Problem solved.

14. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    THIS!!!

People don't seem to get this point. Small arms fire against Transformers won't HURT them, but it will irritate them to a point, or slow them down. Even if you have enough human fire against the Decepticons, it might be enough to get them to flee.

15. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, since they aren't using it against humans, the soldiers may have been allowed to use explosive and incendiary rounds as their ammunition now that they are more prepared.

From what I can tell, explosive and incendiary bullets are not allowed during war time. But that's against humans.

So, finding that loophole, the soldiers being provided with explosive and incendiary bullet rounds is not entirely impossible IMO. The rounds could have magnesium and phosphorous components inside which explode and burn after punching through the enemy combatant's armor plating.

In TF1 they might have only been provided with fragmenting bullets or armor piercing bullets since they were taken by surprise. But since they know that high heat could impede a Cybertronian's ability to heal they might have been given explosive and incendiary rounds that can melt metal, damage circuitry with shrapnel .

I don't really know how big the bullets would have to be, but I think its possible.

16. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

This analogy doesn't work. For example, it's basically not possible to stop a main battle tank with small arms fire. It pretty much can't be done, so soldiers don't try.

Why? If someone shoots spitballs at me and I'm intent on killing them, it's not really going to slow me down. I'm just going to laugh as I shoot them.

- Coeloptera

17. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Okay... picture this:

You're trying to fight a swarm of wasps. You've got guns that could easily kill them, but they keep fighting back. They keep stinging you. It gets so it's hard to aim and hit them.
    The wasp stings are not going to kill you, but they are going to, well, sting, and probably convince you to run away after a while.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Picture this. Wasps are stinging me while my objective is to destroy them and their hive. Also, I'm a giant hulking brawler designed specially to kill and destroy. Those wasps better have brought more than their stingers.

The movie Decepticons aren't really prone to running away if they get hurt a little, with the exception of Starscream.

19. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, the films are clearly a BIG military commercial trying to lure our youth into destroying their lives joining the army. Hopefully, they tone down the friggin military scenes in TF3. The random firing of small arms, soldiers running aruond, and extensive scenes of planes taking off are there for that purpose. Can we just let the Autobots do what they do best?!

20. Sso02V

News Credits:
    So a hundred pissed off wasps stinging you in the face won't slow you down, 'cause you got muscles?