Customs: Slide joints, maybe??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Jul 24, 2010.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, I've hit basher's block.. I'm working on that HftD BBBB figure, and I, perhaps stupidly, cut the joints that the doors swing on off and glued them into the doors. I'm trying to make all cut lines work for the alt mode which is also going to require some putty/bondo work, as I plan to repaint the whole figure in the actual car's paint color when I finish all my mods anyway. Now, my small problem is this. I'm TRYING to get some what accurate to Bee's movie model with the door wings in bot mode as seen here in the picture of his back(circled in... Pink, I think?? lol, that rhymed.. :D ) Now I know this is physically impossible on the toy as that would make those parts RIDICULOUSLY small, so what I am now thinking of doing is using Legends Wheelie's arms to try and mimic this, and I was going to slip the little claw thingamagigy into a small piece of round styrene tube to allow the door to rotate on the claw part of the arm as well as move up and down on the ball joint, but it isn't working because the little finger part is to short.. So my question to you guys is this.How can I make this work, but keep it small enough to not be..totally noticeable? I mean, I obviously want it noticeable because I am changing the toys physical appearance to be as physically accurate as possible, but I don't want it ugly. All and any suggestions are welcome, and thank you much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be an ass, but for some reason that was very hard for me to read. Let me make sure I understand what you're trying to achieve.

You want to use something similar looking to those little mechanisms on Bumblee's door hinge in the photo, but you feel like they're too hard to duplicate, so you're going to try and use Wheelie's arms instead and you're having trouble figuring out how to make them function with your custom?

Is this similar enough to the photo? [​IMG]

Might be a bit big. I'm not sure what scale they are compared to what you're working with. They came with this guy: YOJOE.COM | Deep Six

No idea if they are hard to find or not. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise... can you post pictures of the joint you're working on? Maybe of the bumble bee car too? I'm not familiar with the wheelie figure outside of the seibertron pics and I'm not sure of what problem you're running into. I'm having trouble visualizing it. I'm better with pictures. Sorry.

Mathius

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are correct sir! Sorry, I tend to over think things even when writing sometime. Lets see, This is the basic set up I was aiming for. The hand from the wheelie figure is more or less a hook, ok. What I was thinking of doing was making a stop for the end of the arm to butt up against to stop it from just falling off, but the problem I am running into is that the "hook" is to short and I don't know how to make it longer so it doesn't fall out of the tube of styrene. so I either need to lengthen the finger "hook", or use a different approach all together. Doe that make a little more sense now? Suggestions?? Also, I wasn't going for full on accuracy, but that little do dad you posted a picture of would be awesome to incorporate into Bee, but as I said, this doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but good thinking there.

Attached Files:

4. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

You could possibly extend that piece with styrene or even a sprue from a model kit if you're good with an exacto knife. If you wanted it to be stronger, I'd drill a small hole in the piece and in the piece you wanted to use as your extension and then slide a small piece of plastic in each hole with glue, sortof like holding something together with a dowel if you were working with wood?

You'd need a pin vise and some bits for something that small and either some styrene round stock that small or the patience to sand down a bit of a model sprue.

Mathius

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I've got an idea for the next version I do of this mold. I just hope it works the way I want it to :)