Slagacon 2011 Vector Zeta...Anybody else getting frustrated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by figureguy, Dec 21, 2011.

1. figureguy

figureguy Well-Known Member

I don't know if I am the only one, but I am getting frustrated with the progress on these figures. Chad has been great about updating and answering emails, and I fully support the idea of independent conventions. The fact that a small convention is offering something of its own is exciting.

On the other hand, I am disenchanted with this whole process. I realize that most of the holdup seems to be with the manufacturer but it still is starting to get out of hand. When the toys were not available at the convention, it was estimated to be about 8 weeks. We got weekly updates but the figures were not getting completed. Last week was eight weeks, and no figures yet. The update from last Monday from the manufacturer stated that he was going to send the first batch out to Chad last Weds. and a shipment every week after that.

I emailed Chad yesterday and he had not received an update nor the figures. I know Chad is trying his best to get this finished. I know the production doesn't rest with him. I also realize the manufacturer has a full time job and is trying to complete these in his spare time.

More and more this looks to be an undertaking that neither was prepared for to be as time-consuming as was thought. It's one thing to not be at the con, another to be an 8 week window, but past that with no finished figures or any clear idea of a delivery date is hard to swallow.

I love the figure, and I am looking forward to it but there are limits. I hope this experience turns into something that helps future Slagacons be even better with an idea of what to expect and how to expand on that.

But at this point, well, I don't know what else to say. I fear this could turn into a cancellation of the project in general. I could also see a few cancellations being requested of Chad.

I don't want to cancel but the cost just floating out there does make me think. I want to be reasonable but not have 4 months go by and still no confirmation of a release date or when they will be finished.

Just my 2 cents is all, and wondering how the other people who ordered this set feel about the situation.

:2c: :( 

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    I for one, am excited and happy its enroute. I was never worried about it in any way/shape/form, even if it needed tall more time. Would of either eventually gotten this thing, something I really wanted, or my money back. In either event, excited and happy.

3. figureguy

Well, we know it's being made, but 'on it's way' is another thing entirely. It's the lack of progress and that it keeps getting postponed that has bothered me. I know that I could get my money back, but I'd rather have the figure. But we still have not even seen a finished, final product.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    did anyone get their figure yet?

5. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Bothers me too I guess. Not nearly enough to change my mind about wanting the piece and to support the artist/everyone involved with the show in general. I was kept up to date more or less about what was going on too, definitely wasnt in the dark since I sent money what feels like a year ago now. This isnt botcon or licensed production either, regardless of how I feel about it, not gonna change the fact this show was run by a guy and his family/friends FOR his family/friends, and this whole kits being made by one lone artist. A very talented one whos been rather raked over coals every which way, since launching this endevour too, sadly.. (not by you, not implying that at all). My point, any/all expectations shouldnt be that high, all things considered about this scenario.

edit: to be fair too though, I did fully recognize and approve all this and other possibilities, before I pressed order. I can understand some may of seen it and just been like wow cool, bought.

6. figureguy

No they haven't been finished yet.

7. figureguy

I have never bought a custom made figure before. I had no problem with it when I ordered since on the site it said the figure would be shipped soon after the con. To me that meant within a month at best. I know it's not a licensed show but it does seem that this could have been planned better. I don't think the artist should be 'raked' either, if you like the piece, fine, if not, then people just should not buy it. People have been a little too critical at times.

Don't get me wrong, PM Prime has always been one of my favorite's and the head is so Marvel G1-ish. It's more the constant delay and lack of a concrete date that is bothering me most. I figured that there might need to be some leeway but once the con came and we didn't know till after it that the figures weren't even finished did I become a little worried. 2 months later, though, has me worried a little more.

But as I said, with the manufacturer doing this on the side it seems to be a bigger endeavor than anyone planned.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    In the last update I got, a bunch of kits were ready to go but the guy obviously won't ship them one by one, so I guess we need to wait for the first batch to be done. Can't wait to see it fully painted and stickered, the way the guy made it sound, Vector Zeta is going to look pretty cool. More paint apps than anticipated apparently.

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Admittedly, I don't know the whole story here, but as someone who almost got into the game with a full figure, here's my two cents.

I think when it comes to anything as complex as a full figure, it is a lot to handle, and easy to underestimate. So many different molds, parts, testing, painting, it's a full time job until you get it right, a huge expense, and no guarantee of breakeven, let alone profit.

I think your support is helpful and encouraging to the garage kit guys, but expectations should be pretty low for any first kit. Usually you see people start small, with heads, weapons, but a full figure out of the gate is pretty ambitious.

I would not have revealed it until it was ready to go and orders could be placed. I know there is the need to get pre-orders to get retailers on board, but if your product starts to feel old before it is even out, dates continue to slip, you lose all that anticipation and replace it with frustration.

10. figureguy

In the last update, same as you, he said he was going to ship them out to Chad last Weds. That they would be ready to go and out the door. As of yesterday, Chad had not received them or received an update from the manufacturer. He was going to try and call him. Also, he said he would be sending a batch a week after that. Considering over a week later the first batch has not arrived my hopes are not getting too high.

11. figureguy

This is well said. Indeed.

12. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Even EMS shipping is slow with Christmas approaching. It's been only about a week since he shipped the first batch (not all the toys) AT BEST. Patience is your friend.

13. figureguy

You mention EMS shipping. I don't know why. We know the designer of the toys, TGping, is also doing the manufacturing. On his profile his location is listed as Florida. So that should not involve EMS and worst case USPS Parcel Post, since Chad is in the USA also would not take that long. I went to USPS and calculated postage from FL to IA and tried Parcel Post. Est. 5 days. From Weds. to Mon., say Tues at latest. Should have had the package in Chad's hands in less than a week. Just saying. As for patience, well, being told 8 weeks after the con to have the figures, and past that with NO initial figures being completed and sent out, well, patience runs a little thin after that kind of issue.

14. figureguy

We don't even know IF he shipped any figures last week. Chad didn't get an update from him so he may not have shipped any. With the holidays, I don't know if he will get a batch a week done. If he did ten a week regardless, the entire run wouldn't be finished before February barring any further delays. More or less I am just saying this is getting further and further from making any major progress on getting the figures completed and sent out to those of us that did order them.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think I did email chad, but the impression I got was that its out of his hands as he is waiting for them to come to his hands, then he can ship...?

16. figureguy

I know he is waiting for them. I know he said he didn't hear from the manufacturer as of Tuesday. I understand it is out of his hands, but it doesn't make it better.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree with you, it does not. I am not defending =P

18. figureguy

No, no, I didn't think you were.:)  You are right on what you posted. Perhaps part of the problem lies with just how much this has been taken out of Chad's hands. It's just over the months people have been patient, but there might have been some who didn't want to. Chad might have had some cancellations and could get more. I am looking forward to this figure and I just am frustrated on the time, the delays, and knowing more when we should have it. I know that there were pre-orders at least into the 70s, so if we could get 10 out a week it could take a while to get them all out.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I agree. I am really iffy about whether I should bother buying the second part next year. Wonder if it will appear before next years' slagacon :p 

20. figureguy

Chad mentioned that because of the issues with this one, that for the other exclusive he would be using a new manufacturer but the current one's design. I like the look of the two parts combined, but I wonder about how next year's will turn out as far as being done ahead of time.