3D Artwork: SL Drift Swords

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Treadshot A1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

A request from Nemesis251 for some cool swords, based on this: Link

I've just finished the sword of the red and white guy (front, your left), throwing a few extra twists in here and there. Went for a much more freeform design, instead of my usual geometry, but I stayed close to the design of the hilt.

The blade, i just went for a pretty standard blade, but i couldn't make out what was written on the blade. From my knowledge, though, it looked more like Hiragana than Cybertronian :) lol). Anyways, i couldn't make it out, so i just wrote (on both sides of the blade) "DRIFT" in stylised Cybertronian Autobot script. They are embossed, not engraved (i.e. sticks out, not carved in), due to the thin-ness of the blade. It's meant to be read with the blade vertical, from the top down (so start from the pointy end and read down to the hilt).

The blade isn't parallel with the hilt. It's bent slightly back (up-left in the pic), in keeping with the original artwork.

The actual grip, just like with my DL Blast Gun, is 10mm long, so that there will be part of the hilt that sticks out the back of the hand, just like in the pic.

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it.

Here's the page on the script, from TFWiki: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Autobot_Translations.jpg

(Buy it from Shapeways here) (Note: if you want more than one, please contact me, as there can be savings with multiple swords due to waving the startup costs)

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Got the second sword done (white robot, front, your right). Again, couldn't read the writing on his sword, so i made my own inscriptions. But writing 'Drift' again is boring, so i decided to go with a simpler design, embossing the Chinese character for "Fire" on the sword instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should note that the hilt has the pattern on both sides (so the blue jewel thing and the lines surrounding it), but the blade writing only appears on one side, to keep the blade thick enough to be durable.

The sword is meant to be held at the 'ribbed' section just below the hilt, which is 5.2mm (because Shapeways has + ~0.2mm prints) diameter at the widest. the spike at the end is, well, for when you feel like being cruel and stabbing a Decepticon. ;) 

(Buy it from Shapeways here) (Available in any Strong and Flexible material, except Polished)

Attached Files:

3. Treadshot A1

Now to branch off from swords. An Axe. Or scythe. Whatever.

[​IMG]

This thing was a pain. Not only was visualising all the curves a pain, but making sure it didn't thin out too much to be printed was a real challenge. I guess that's why the axe/scythe doesn't end in points (rather, edges). Just can't be completely sure it'd be printable.

As it stand, though, i'm quite happy with the outcome. Got the resemblance, and works. It's made to grip with one hand, while just sliding through the second fist (so that when held with one hand, it doesn't have a second handle for nothing).

Um, yeah. That's it.

(Buy it from Shapeways here) (Available in any Strong and Flexible material)

Attached Files:

4. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

You are my hero Treadshot!