Minor/Repaint: Skyblast and Air Raid do a little switcheroo! (Pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

After seeing Classics Bumblebee and Cliffjumper swap out certain parts to improve their respective color schemes, Air Raid and Skyblast thought, "Oh hey! We can do that too!"

And so they did.

[​IMG]

What I've done here is take the mismatched black bits from Target Scout Skyblast, and swap them for the equally mismatched Grey bits from Target Scout Air Raid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a difference a little change makes! Now, Skyblast looks more like an air force/urban camo sort of deal, while Air Raid is more consistent in his black and digital jungle camo. I think that the color schemes look much better this way, but hey, it's my custom -- I'll do what I want! :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you may be saying to yourself, "Ah-HA! I see a part you forgot to change!" and I would congratulate you on your observancy, but I left the Chestplate underside the original color for two reasons: I like the small variations in color for the vents and intakes, which match other smaller paint apps elsewhere on the figure...and because it would have been a royal pain to remove. ;) 

Along the way, I made a few improvements/modifications:

1) I disabled the "automorph" gimmick where turning the chestplate rotates the head -- it's just a nuisance. I used an X-acto to shave the teeth off of the chestplate's cog inside the body cavity, so it no longer tries to move the head. But I did retain the ratchet joint for the neck, (Which acts like a retractable ballpoint pen -- you'll see if you crack him open) gluing the lower cog part so that the default head ratchet faces forward, and the jet cockpit stays level.

2) I carved out a chunk from the back of the cockpit piece and turned it around, so now the cockpit folds over the face without the necessity of turning the head around, and there's no "peek a boo" in jet mode. As a bonus, the neck joint now has a little more mobility -- yes, he can actually look a few degrees to the side now!

Air Raid Underside
    Skyblast Underside

Air Raid Back View
    Skyblast Back View

3) I reversed the forearm guards on Skyblast to look more like intakes. This started out as an accident, but I rather like the way it looks in both figure and jet mode so I didn't correct it. Plus it's another tiny difference between the two.

And personally I despise the Energon weapons, because I think they look pretty terrible, but I did take a picture just for the people who enjoy that sort of thing.

Jets with Energon Kibble

What do you think, sirs?

2. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad. Maybe a light wash on Skyblast? He seems a little too gray now. But still, nice idea.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm not familiar enough with these two repaints to know what you changed, but I'd love to hear more about this whole BB CJ parts swap.

4. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

I like the skyblast due to the lack of saturation. Could use some detailing and it will be perfect. Airraid is still meh too me but thats just because of the digital camo applied.

5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Here's a thread with a pic of the original Target Air Raid, and here's some pics of the original Target Skyblast at Seibertron.

As for the Cliffjumper/Bumblebee switcheroo, it was somewhat common around the customizer forums a while back, but the gist of it was that you could take the black parts from a Classics Bumblebee and swap them with the grey parts from Classics Cliffjumper to make one kinda stupid looking Bee and one really cool, more G1-accurate Cliffjumper. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

speaking of skyblast is there anything that could be don to give him improved posability through the upper legs so as to give him a better set of kneejoints in robot mode

for that matter would it be possible to place a set of properly sized holes in the backl of his lower legs just beneath the folding hinge joint that attaches the lower legs to the upper legs so that skyblast could lock onto bruticus maximus's back in combiner mode

say byu salvaging a set of flat panel plug nobs from a z builder zoid blox set and mounting them right over each of the wheels mounted on energon barricade's lower arms

the reason i ask those questions is becausei beleive that vehicel mode aside barricade would make for a rather suitable more modern day figure of jpn g1 victory decepticon brestforce member jarugar especially if one were to give barricade energon stormjets head for the robot mode

and then theres the fact that as when it ocmes tot he 5 member energon combiner teams as core body combiner figures gobarricade happens to be the best designed of the 3 especially when it comes to barricade having a fully posabil body in core body combiner mode

as for why i want to mod skyblast and barricade so that they can plug together in combiner mode it is because i want to use skybals for leozak with leozak forming liokaisers armored chest and brestplate and jarugar himself forming the entire core body for liokaiser

7. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I like the way you think that is great

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Cool! I like nice and easy improvements!:thumbs2: 

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

that all light dark grey colored skyblast would make for a excellent flying wing armored brestplate for fansproject bruticus