Customs: Skinny/Lanky Devs Vs. Combiner Bulk Devs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by seali_me, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

Like i said in my videos, the devastators that used the blue primus back look lanky, minus two which didn't use them: the china dev and ptitvastator. some look a little bulky not still look to skinny/lanky. some just shows it right away. especially in videos. however we can all agree that devastator should definately not be lanky/skinny. i want to be happy with mine that's all and the lankiness doesn't go away even if the arms are closer to the torso.

the lankiness of devastator is because of the torso being so thin and everything not the arm placement. ptitvite's didn't look as tiny because torso area didn't have the blue primus back part to make it longer. so his was extremely proportional. adding the primus back helps with the build but also adds more height because of the connections on the back. this is what i saw when i compared ptitvite's, china dev and the one's which have the primus back.

most of the pictures hide the fact that the build with the primus back is lanky/skinny by camera angles but videos do not lie. you really can not miss this with videos. the lankiness bothered me even before i connected the arms to the torso.

you can find other videos of custom devastator and you will see how lanky and skinny they are. real video not pictures in videos.

here's a comparison with mine:

YouTube - Custom Devastator part 5

again this is not aimed at anyone just a constructive (yes with a solution) criticism. if you have any other solutions to this to help improve the custom. please go ahead and mention it here.

for those who are making one you can take this into consideration so yours won't look as skinny and lanky.

feel free to comment or discuss. hey, when i play with my customs i look and stare at them in real life not pictures. i don't want mine to look good only in pictures.

sorry for the double thread posting. please deleted one of them. thanks.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    what are you saying here? you insinuate that some others.... "look good only in pictures"or "too skinny and lanky" - which to me, sounds insulting.
    as far as the torso is concerned you have the exact same build mine typically have, long haul's wheels hit the hips, then the primus back piece, long haul's legs tucked behing, then hook up top. You haven't discovered a secret, in my opinion. What I am saying, is from what I see, you've tossed Ptitvite's formula aside and are leaning towards my adaption of his formula, which in turn makes me question the intent of this thread....

Yours seems to have some "extra parts" on the shoulders that push the arms "outwards" too much, but that's ok. each should be unique. The bots on the arms appear too high, and there's too much unicron lower leg showing above MM and Scrapper. you also seem to have an excess of primus upper arm between the elbow and shoulder bots, any shorter of a torso/upper torso would result in poor proportion and the hands/lower arms hanging too low (videos don't lie, right?)

edit : didn't even realize what you've done until I saw PK and NP's comment and went back to watch the entire video. Adding another part (to an already excessive pile of extra parts (yes, I can admit that) doesn't necessarily fix a proportion problem. You need to build this for YOU and if you're doing it to try and prove some obscure point or other motive, the fun and reason for putting energy into this project will get lost.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I do like the extra bulk you have added to the chest/torso area. Keep up the good work SM :thumb 

That Blurr bit cracks me up everytime too....and I love that table!!....you got some slick looking Chess pieces to go with the table?

4. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly who gives a shit about proportions when we are talking about Transformers?? Seriously, if we were talking about human beings, then proportions would come into play. Who is to say that Devastator was modeled after a human being, a monkey, a bird, or hell, a pile of dog poo?

They are big alien robots! Was the ROTF Devastator "proportional"? Nope. What it boils down to is the creators likes and preference. Plain and simple. I personally like the disproportional looking robots, which is why I like movie-verse designs.

5. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

...O...

nice stop animation here...and the added bulk does look nice.

6. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

7. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fail to see your point...if you are complaining about the extra height added by the primus back...you know that if it is done the way it should be (IMHO) it only adds about 1/4 inch to the total height...right?

We all build according to our personally opinions and preferences, and considering the prices some of these custom devys go for, you might want to consider the possibility that your theory is wrong.

Just my .02, f_r's formula combined with ptitvite's makes for one hell of a custom. Take their ideas and add your own flair, and you will have something you can really enjoy.
    Bashing ideas that you are trying to emulate is a little :crazy: 

8. ALPHAMAGNUS

ALPHAMAGNUS Sector70: Reformatting... Veteran

lol x 10

9. seali_me

btw F_R i am building this for myself. i said it in my first vid before you even came in. that comment about devs being lanky was said in my 1st and 2nd vids about it,. you took offense immediately as if it was aimed at you.

the build is lanky. that\s the first thing i saw when i put the torso up. if you, F_R mistook it for a jab in that thread on cybertron.ca then you are mistaken since i already said that the build was skinny even before that. it is my honest opinion. you just mistook everything as an insult since you have dev drama.

check out the dates on my first two videos and before you commented on my thread on cybertron.ca. this is not meant to dis anyone but it was an observation i had since the beginning of the custom. you had to come along with your dev drama.

i posted my videos stating how i felt about the lanky devs a week before you mistook me telling about it as a jab at you.

i think PK was the only one who saw that the entire time. anyway, again, if you guys have any solutions to lanky dev disease. please post it here.

----------------

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    there must be some sort of language barrier than....

I (and apparently others) misread your intentions of the thread (and the custom for that matter)

I am not the one with this "dev drama" you speak of. I built Devastator how I feel fit, love the way they come out, help others build theirs - and ultimately those who I build them for are VERY happy with the result.

11. seali_me

dude you mistook a criticism on cyb.ca as a jab it was not. dude, when i said lanky devs on my video that was a week before you came along. i was happily building mine a week before then you come along with you beef with crefigz. dude that's what started all this man. i dunno what your problem is with him. i never knew about it then bam. you come along into my thread.

you even hound me on youtube. i've politely asked not to subscribe to me yet you kept coming back. 3x until i banned you. dude, i don\t care what anyone says,but honestly between you and me, you know who has a problem cause you know what you have been doing thus entire time.

12. payton34

News Credits:
    :lol 

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    It's reactions like these that deter future customizers from trying their hand at custom work.

Just because the man made a statement, as to what two Devs builds he liked, (Ptitvite's and Crefigz's) and what he didn't like about the others that have been made, certain people want to get all but hurt and bent out of shape about it.

I don't see any other of the Devs creators in here sounding off, or voicing their opinions that they've been offended.

Seali Me is entitled to speak his mind as to what he likes, and doesn't like. He is entitled to build HIS custom the way he wants.

F_R, if he came right out and said that he didn't like your version of Devs because to him it looks long and lanky in the torso area, then so be it. Live with that constructive criticism.

Zildjian, if he wants his Devs to be more proportional, then so be it. It's his. If he wants it to be more humanoid in design, then fine. Why should that bother you?....you said yourself:

So why slam this man for stating what he likes/prefers?

He asked for input, not to be constantly slammed, or laughed at.

Seriously guys.....grow up already. Last I knew, we're all pretty much grown ass men here....so leave the high school gang mentality in the past....jeesh.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    You're right, it is about being mature; but part of being mature is standing up for what you believe in, and standing firmly behind your work.

"most of the pictures hide the fact that the build with the primus back is lanky/skinny by camera angles but videos do not lie."

"you really can not miss this with videos."

"hey, when i play with my customs i look and stare at them in real life not pictures."

"i don't want mine to look good only in pictures."

I take great care and pride in making sure my photos express and capture EXACTLY what the custom is. I do not use trick angles or trick photography, and frankly : feel offended of being accused like this.
    I've offered constructive criticism back, and it's mistaken as attacking and being immature?

15. seali_me

i've been told this happens quite often with you mike a. you know and i know this build will never be mine. it never has been yours either dude. it will never be your build no matter how many times you make it. everyone knows this but you. you should have accepted that awhile back. too bad, after 8 devs you still can't give it a waist articulation. maybe on your 9th you will. hopefully it is also proportional and it transforms. not one or the other. good luck dude.

i hope you also thanked crefigz for that mod on scrapper. that idea was the best. :) 

16. payton34

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. seali_me

i know payton. after 8 devs... i only made one. even ptitvite made only one. he got it right the first time. no it doesn't fall apart either and can withstand another addition of weight or so without nuts and bolts. you guys can gang up all you want. we ALL know. :) 

18. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    hahah..what is going on in this thread?!!!

19. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

the Hell?

How about F_R builds his Dev's he wants to, Ptitvite how HE wants to, everybody build how they want it, and not get all up in each others sh*t !

Seali_Me, if you want to discuss your version vs. other versions, just keep that in your dev-topic. If you make a statement, you can expect reactions, and in this case, it's feedback. you should always be grateful for feedback, even when you don't like what people say. If you don't want people saying stuff you're not going to like, don't go public.

It's not a gang-up, it's a forum, and if you're being provocative against a lot of people who base their work of a certain system, what do you expect? For people to put you on a pedestal "You're the new combiner-Jesus?"

I don't believe F_R's ever been secretive about that his version of Dev is based off Ptitvite's design. It's hardly a secret in the first place.

F_R, since it's about maturity, and you already have such a predominant role in this community, you, of all people, should be above it. Make your point, just once, and be done with it. So one guy thinks he's got the better idea, there's hundreds of people praising you daily. It's seems like a fair trade..

That being said, seai me, I really like your project and I even bookmarked your videos on Youtube. F_R, I'm a subscriber, so guys, don't kill me.

seali me: less offensive, you say can yours is good, but don't go sprouting yours is better, f_r: less defensive, it's one guy. get over it.

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will only say this once:

14. Keep Off-Site Drama Off This Site
    If it happened elsewhere then don't bring it here.

And payton34, knock of the pathetic digs, or you'll find yourself with a Infraction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.