Minor/Repaint: Skids "Easy" Chest Fix

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by closetrat, Aug 16, 2009.

1. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone's been trying to fix Skids' chest & for good reason, it doesn't match the movie render really at all.

Loved RoAMs mod, but it looked like it required a LOT of work & would ruin a figure if you messed up. So, hats off too you RoAM for your bravery, but I don't have it.

Also, really loved the results Necrocom4 got with his balljoint & new hinged arm mod, but I'm not ready for that much MacGyver-ing for a mod...

So, I looked at how the arms that hold the chest panels on & realized that they could be used to move the chest panels & work in an almost mech-alive feature...

What you'll need for this mod:
    Small Phillips screwdriver (to remove the panels & lights)
    Twist tie that came with the figure (to act as a clamp & hold the chest arm back...)
    Exacto knife (probably the only tool that you simply MUST HAVE to do this)
    Old favorite movie (recommended...)
    Needle nose pliers (suggested)

To start, simply remove the headlights first & then the chest panels with the screwdriver & set them aside (I don't have a craft desk, so I simply dropped them into the card bubble of the figure).

Second, run a twist tie through the screw-hole for the chest panel (you don't need to twist it, it's strong enough as is...), then pull the chest arm out & away from the body lightly, then secure into place by wrapping the other end of the twist tie around the leg (you may wanna take the lower-leg off too, it just snaps right off & on).

It's suggested you pop in an old movie at this point, b/c yer about to learn that "patience is a virtue...".

Using back edge of the exacto knife, you'll want to trace a line on the mech-alive tab that moves the chest panels out (the best pic of this piece I could find was Necrocom4's of his mod, so much apologies...), like this:

[​IMG]

Notice, you want to leave a little bit of the tab in the front, for the headlight to rest against...

Then, you'll want to trace this line about another 2000 times (this is where the movie comes in) until the piece either falls off or you're able to break it off with the pliers... Be careful on this step, you're going through two layers of plastic that were bonded together & you'll be burying the knife through about a centimeter of plastic before the piece will come off PLUS, you'll be rotating the toy in your hands alot to get the front of the headlight rest (this is why you want to leave a small part of this tab) & the bottom of this tab...

After the piece falls away, you get to do that whole maddening process again, yay! But once you do, & re-assemble everything, you should have something like this...

[​IMG]

Now, the irritating thing is, the hinges for the chest center-panel are still in the way of this working 100%, and you could file them down for another bit of movement - but the center panel itself will catch them beyond this point, so they won't go much further.

I'm personally still debating if I want to go that route m'self...

Check the attachments for the resulting system...
    Would have taken WIP pics, but I frankly thought this would break the figure, but I only bought it after seeing flix's mod; so started this mod with the idea that I'd either make it work, or have one for spare parts...

Attached Files:

2. RoAM

RoAM Well-Known Member

Looks good Closerat. Great work.. wish i had thought of that when i made mine. You were right in it took a lot of cutting to use the panels the way i did.
    Hats off to you... :) 

I dremeled the entire back of the panels flat, then glued on a cut down mudflap door hinge minus the door. i then cut away most of the mech alive torso thing and drilled a small hole in it for the little metal bar (the pin from the door hinge part) glued that into the body and whalla... folding pivoting multi hinged panels.

Attached Files:

3. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just had a thought... the arms are angled away from his body & are quite thick, that could be causing them to connect early to his body; but it should be possible to trim them as well to allow them to swing in further...

Have to check that when I get home.

4. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    OOOhhh!! Interesting. It's worth trying sometime soon. Thanks!!

5. chris24jc

chris24jc OptiChris Prime

Very nice!

Me likes!
    I was just about to disassemble and dremel those bits out when I found out you can rotate those corner chest panels and tuck the bottom of them in the middle hinge. Looks pretty good, albeit not movie accurate.
    Now I have to figure out which way to display him. I may do your mod anyway.
    Great idea and tutorial. Thanks!