Sketches from artists at Botcon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Deefuzz, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I was going over the artist list at Botcon.com and noticed under Don Figeuroa and Alex Milne's writeups that they will be doing sketches. I've never really done this before at a Botcon or any other convention for that matter, and was wondering from those who had...How do you go about getting a sketch from a guest artist?

Do you give them a sketch book to do it on or do they have a sketchpad prepared for something like this? Do I ask for something in particular or do I just ask for a sketch? Is there money involved?

I would love to get a sketch from Don if at all possible, I just want to know the etiquette invovled from those who may have more experience in this area of things.

So any thoughts or help?

2. Krypto

Krypto Member

From IDW's site it sounds like Don will be doing sketches. If an artist intends to do sketches he will bring his own materials (pencils/paper). It is not uncommon for some artists to charge a small fee, others may sketch free of charge. Depending on what panels are going on the artist might only have time to sign stuff at any particular point in time, so if you want a sketch you might have to return at a different time. Some artists will do requests, others won't.

My advice is to ask for a sketch and if they accept requests they will probably ask you, you might want to suggest something, but ultimately its their choice, they might not remember everything and they may usually draw with a reference.

For example - at AutoAssembly 2006. Guido sketched pretty much ALL the time, for a small fee. Andrew Wildman said he might do some sketching, but only when it went quiet. I managed to snag a sketch from Andrew near the end of the convention, he asked for a small donation for charity. Guido drew basically what anyone requested, whereas Andrew told me he'd sketch Prime, which was all good! :) 

3. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome Krypto! Thanks for the info!

Seems pretty simple to me, but for some reason I stress about simple things :) 

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I don't think Alex or Don have ever requested money, and I'd be dismayed if they started. Then again, people are too freakin' nuts when it comes to sketches and getting autographs.

IE: Don, sign all 50 copies of this for me.

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "OK, who do I make it out to?"

"to eBay!"

"That's a popular name!"

7. Deefuzz

News Credits: