Size to Complexity Ratio

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaiwera05, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Hey guys, just wondering something here. Which do you like more in a toy, size or complexity? Would you rather have a giant extremely intricate toy (IE posability and such, not like ROTF Leader Prime), giant and bricklike toy, small and complex toy, or small and simple toy? I for one, would love to have a small and complex toy. It would save space, and still be extremely fun to play with.

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I love tiny toys that have a lot of good engineering. Scouts/Commanders just hit perfection.

3. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    Small complex, THS-02 is my favorite bot to date. Lots of detail and gimmicks cool toy!

4. AMG

AMG Old School

I have no love for Transformers being complex just for the sake of being complex. Lining up panels and fiddling with parts that only fit within an exact millimeter is not fun to me.

All I care about is that the toy looks good in both modes, regardless of size.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Line me up here.

Figures like Uni. Hot Shot, Uni. Galvatron, and WFC Optimus are all more complex than they need to be.

Couldn't care less that there are figures like Uni. Silverbolt and Uni. Inferno that are very simple in terms of their engineering for their size classes. They flat out make great toys, which is more than my previous examples can say.

6. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I didn't mean complex in that sense, lol. I meant it in the lots of articulation, and more than a 3-4 step transformation. I like my toys to be compact and have lots of moving parts. :D 

7. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I don't care, because I get enjoyment out of all of them for different reasons. I like the big complex ones as display pieces, and the small simple ones to play with more.

The only negative to me in any ratio is a lot of times, large and simple ones are pretty much huge bricks, which isn't all that awesome to me - unless they're an insanely awesome character (Cybertron Supreme Starscream) or the size is part of the reason I wanted the figure in the first place (ROTF Devastator).

8. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As engineering improves, I'm pleased to find that a toy doesn't have to be huge to be complex. There is some childish fascination and satisfaction in something large, but if a smaller toy can do the job just as well, I find it equally cool and sometimes even more impressive.

There's a case by case appreciation for me. Leader Prime may be a bit too complex, but that's some impressive engineering and I found it miraculous that they could simulate the film model so well at the time while retaining articulation. Cyberton Supreme Starscream is a case where he's ridiculously large for no reason at all, really. It's a fun novelty, but he's not that impressive to transform and eats up a lot of space.

Lately, I've found that Deluxes like Jazz and Scourge strike a sweet spot where there is some fun and clever stuff going on without being a chore.

9. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

I'd rather have 10 Fortress Maximus then 500 deluxe sized Human Alliance DOTM toys...

10. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i like the smaller figures. complexity in the sense of transformation doesnt matter to me. but good articulation is always a plus.

i love deluxes the best. voyagers are good depending on who. ultras are ehh. but anything bigger i dont want. i like to play around with my figures as well as have them displayed. and playing with a big toy just isnt as fun to me.

i thought masterpiece prime would be awesome and fun all the time. He was GREAT! untill i put him on my shelf next to masterpiece starscream. and i rarely touched him. he just stood there. at least with starscream he can be put in awesome poses on his stand, and has an AMAZING jet mode.
    i just traded off Masterpiece Prime and got a Classics voyager Prime and a deluxe WFC soundwave. A LOT more playability and fun for me :]

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like medium transformations. Voyager is probably my favorite size.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The more complex, the better for me. But with caveats. Complexity as a result of large amounts of shellforming and panel massaging is no fun at all. But unique, intricate transformations, packed into smaller and smaller package just impresses me greatly.

I love Universe Galvatron for this reason. That right arm of his is just wonderful. I know I'm in a rough minority on that one, though. But I also lucked out and got one that doesn't like to fall apart at a moment's notice, so that skews my opinion in a favourable direction.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    same here they are transformers not Rubik's cubes complexity isn't required.

14. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I loved the Universe Ultra figures. Big, chunky figures with tons of articulation, and very simple transformations. Onslaught/Hardhead is a particular favourite.