Size differences in same class + toyline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tarrn, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

No, this isn't another 'FOC figures are tiny' thread. :p  I've only been collecting sporadically since the first movie toyline, but something I've been curious about for a while is how much of a discrepency there can between two figures in the same size class and toyline, despite each figure presumable having the same plastic budget.

For example, Prime Deluxe Knock Out is pretty small compared to his wavemates in vehicle mode, even though some parts compression and lack of major kibble allows him a fairly tall robot mode, but then you look at Wheeljack who is honestly on par with the First Editions in both modes. Over in FOC from what I can tell from pictures, Shockwave and the Combaticons are all a good bit larger than Jazz and especially Optimus. And while I don't recall exact comparison from the movie and Animated toylines, I'm sure there must have been some examples from those with notably different sizes.

Anyone know how this works? Is it a case of having a total amount of plastic allowable for each case, and a maximum amount on each individual figure which they use for some and not for others?

2. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've read elsewhere that the budgets for a line are determined across the entire wave, so there can be variance from figure to figure as long as they sum up to the alloted amount. I suspect, to use a recent example, that that's why Weaponizer Optimus Prime has more colors, paint apps and reportedly better plastic than Weaponizer Bumblebee; the designers would have had a set budget for the two Weaponizer figures and then they sent most of it to Prime, and let Bee twist in the wind. Exactly how they figure out how they want to divvy it up, and how much leeway they have in the matter, I don't think has ever been revealed (though correct me if I'm wrong).

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cybertron had tons of size (or at least height) variation within one class. Hot Shot dwarfs Red Alert. Voyager Vector Prime is the same height as ultra-class Scourge, Metroplex can be pretty much whatever size he wants. :) 

Seems related to complexity in these cases.

BTW, FOC Shockwave is not bigger than Jazz.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  4. Rakhamon

Rakhamon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My go-to example for this is the Classics/whatever-you-wanna-call-it toyline. The first few Classics toys from 2006 were really short. Look at the Classics Starscream mold that got reused for all the Seekers afterwards. He's a shrimp, even together with the other molds from the same year. Hot Shot is quite short as well. As that line progressed into Universe, the deluxes seem to have grown quite a bit. For example comparing Acid Storm (who reused Starscream's mold) with Cyclonus or Astrotrain, you see just how stumpy the first year figures are.

I'm not bothered by it, but it does show how the sizes of figures varies quite widely even within the same toyline/aesthetic.