Situation with Ebay Auction that was removed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, give the man a refund.

2. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    refund the guy his money. You took the gamble that the card would work and you'd get some money from it and you lost. Time to be a man and own up.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Limited time offer is limited.

Basically, only a few of the millions of WoW players will be able to get in and test the new expansion's content before it goes live so fans would willingly pay to get their chance at it. Though the trial was a free thing given to a small fraction of players by Blizzard themselves. And as such, could easily be big money for those that get it but don't care enough to use it.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How much did it sell for, anyway?

5. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

that was my next question

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Just over $200. The guy who won the auction knew about the risk of buying key code online since he got many of his own auctions pulled for the same reason. And before I put up the auction I had no idea that Ebay's against it because of all the auctions with this item on it. And the reason why mine was pulled while others didn't is because I put the word "beta" on the title of the auction and listed as PC Game, so don't accuse me of knowing putting up a fraudulen item on Ebay please. I may just give him back the money minus all the fees I had to pay for Ebay and Paypal.

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
  8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Holy shit, $200?! Really?! Geez.

9. decepticonjon

ehh, you won his money fair and square. if he wants it back, match to the death, frickin' thunderdome style

10. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    refund the guy

11. Predaking

There are auctions that went for much higher actually. I settled for less money that I could have gotten with that amount. Most if not all of the auctions had disclaimer that no returns or refunds allowed because of the uncertainty with the random, lottery style system Blizzard used to give out invites. The reason why I am even thinking of not giving back the refund is because he should have read and understood the terms of the auction before bidding on it so it's not like I used trickery and deceit to get his money. And just because my auction was removed doesn't mean it's illegal to sell it on Ebay, since long after my auction was gone there were still plenty of the same auctions still active. I guess the chance to play the expansion before it's released is too much of a temptation for WOW players that they don't mind taking a chance on it.

12. decepticonjon

a scene from the transaction
    [​IMG]

13. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    buy me something with it

14. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a seller on eBay, I'm having difficulty in understanding your position. You sold defective/expired merchandise and are blaming the buyer for insufficient knowledge on the item you're selling.

"Hey, I stole a car but it's not illegal since these other guys who also stole cars didn't get caught."

Blizzard did not state anywhere in the info that came with the key that this item was non-transferable? And when eBay pulled it because you had 'beta' in the title and listed it as a PC game when it's just a key, you didn't think that was breaking the rules of ebay? Even after they pulled it? Plus, how did they pull an auction that was already completed with a BIN?

15. Predaking

There is no such words on the card and I would not have put it on Ebay if that's the case. Ebay's email after cancelling my bid basically states it's up to the seller and the buyer to resolve any monetary issues from the auction.

Don't try to paint me as the bad guy here guys. It's not like I have decided not to refund the guy. Cut me some slack here.

16. decepticonjon

oh at this point yer just gonna say your going to refund him and keep the cash, how the hell would we know? you just asked for advice not brow beating of morals. gosh

17. Iron Spider-Man

Iron Spider-Man Banned

News Credits:
    To be fair as far as the "pulling the auction" thing goes, eBay can pull auctions for a number of reasons, a lot of them that don't make any sense.

I tried to sell my collection of PC Games about a month or so ago. In the auction, I stated, "Half-Life 2, complete with Steam Account" because you know, otherwise it'd be worthless to whoever bought it. Irregardless of the fact that there were about 20 other PC games with this lot, Valve had the auction pulled! Am I wrong for trying to get rid of my PC Games I no longer have a computer that can handle playing them on? Was it illegal of me to do this? I say thee nay!

eBay doesn't always pull auctions because they're illegal. They pull them because they bend over backwards for everyone BUT who they should be, and that's sellers. However, there should be no fees associated with the auction, and it baffles me if there are, being that they "pulled" the auction.

18. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The longer this thread goes on, the more I'm liking the Thunderdome solution.

Someone get MasterBlaster on the horn.

19. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    You could NOT refund his money then get screwed when he files a "significally not a described claim" and a paypal claim.

You may as well refund him before he negs you and you lose all credibility on ebay.

20. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Ok so semantically you have a point, but remember that what goes around comes around or you reap what you sow. Either way, don't be suprised if this shows back up on your doorstep in some form or fashion...

Character, it's what we do when no one is looking... ;)