Situation with Ebay Auction that was removed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Predaking, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Need some advice on this:

Several weeks back I put beta testing key for World of Warcraft expansion on Ebay with Buyout option. A person used the buyout option on the item and few hours after that, the auction was removed by Ebay for copyright infringement. By that time the payment was already sent. I emailed that guy expressing my concern that with the auction no longer there neither of us have any protection in case something goes wrong. He told me he paid for the item and still want it so I emailed him the key and sent him the card with the key on it just to be sure.

Now that guy emailed me back and told me the key that he paid for can no longer be used for the beta testing or any games in the future. Apparently there's a cut off time for the beta testing that neither of us knew and it was well past that time when he won the auction. He wants the full refund back but I wrote on the auction that there's no return or refund since it's an intangible property that cannot be reused. I am not sure if I should give him any money back but do feel a bit sorry for him. What would you do?

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's a bit of a pickle. Perhaps meet half way?

3. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    I'm sure if it were the other way around, you'd be making a bitch-post here about how someone took your money for something obsolete and useless, and then had the nerve to offer you only a partial refund because "they didn't know"

4. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Yeah. I know I would.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    You sold something worthless. Be a space champion and refund the guy.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

You sold something you shouldn't have that already expired before you even put it up for sale and you're having doubts on whether or not you should provide a full refund?

...seriously?

7. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just do the right thing & refund him the full amt. i'm not saying it just for the sake of it b'coz recently i was in the same predicament too.

Sold-off a pair of Binaltech figs here on the boards & it turns out buyer was none too happy abt the quality of both figs. we had a little bit of PMs back & forth, finally i promptly refunded him the full amt. sometimes in this kind of situation we just have to be a little flexible.

8. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

the guy was dumb enough to buy them in the first place

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Give him the money back. Just put yourself in his shoes and what you would want to see happen.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I didn't mention that while there was a cutoff date for the beta testing it wasn't set in stone, meaning the Blizzard company was mulling whether to offer additional invites for the betatesting. My brother submitted his request before the cutoff date and still haven't gotten invite yet. That guy runs a WOW website and it's strange that he didn't bother to check WOW website for the FAQ before he bought the key from me. Yeah I know he probably deserve refund but I also don't have to give it to him since I am covered under the Paypal protection if he file a claim against me. I'll take a day to think about what I will do. Thanks for all your input.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Well be sure and post your decision here, because it could decide whether I ever purchase anything from you in the future or not.

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I would give him the refund. You lost nothing buy selling him an unusable key and he gained nothing because the key is unusable it's only fair.

Otherwise it's getting something for nothing at the expense of someone

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

You sold him something you should not have sold. There's a reason why your auction was pulled. And not only that, but what you did sell him was already outdated and un-usable at the time of the sale. Just because you got a work around in the system doesn't mean you should just happily walk off with the guy's money.

Why even come here and ask our opinions if you already seem to have made up your mind?

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    /\ Yes.

You stole the guy's money by selling him something useless, plain and simple - and now you want to use the protection system against him to keep his money?

Don't be a douche - give him a full refund, AT MOST keeping paypal and ebay fees.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  15. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Do you even lose anything by refunding the money? I guess I don't understand what you sold. Was it a physical object that you paid for?

I am completely out of the loop when it comes to WoW stuff.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No, it was nothing but a card with a numeric code that he likely got for free.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It was a special code that you could use to get into the testing of the next addition to WoW. Most likely a free promo given out to a limited number, as that's how most beta codes are distributed.

But wow, like most MMOs, does not allow the sale or trade of any type of account. It's against the game's terms of service and in most cases would get the account banned. Hence why ebay took the auction down, cause you're not supposed to sell those things.

18. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

why would someone buy it? i mean, would you have to lure them in or is it something wow fans try to get? (also out of the wow loop)

19. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Ah..OK. I thought it was a physical thing that may still have some sort of value.

Personally I would feel like a giant turd for selling something like that and not have it work. I would just say sorry, and refund the money no questions asked.

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Give him his cash back.