Sit Down, Shut Up

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rewind, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So.....yeah. I'm not one who typically starts or takes part in hate threads, but did anyone else have the misfortune of watching this new FOX show last night? I was speechless at just how bad it was. Awkward and unpleasing animation, awful characters, and quite possibly the least funny or clever writing to ever be on television. I couldn't even watch the whole thing. Not that I'm surprised, the previews didn't make it look appealing. I more or less watched it out of morbid curiosity, like wanting to see that thirsty monkey walk up to the watering hole for a drink even though you can see the crocodile right there with his jaws wide open, waiting....

Anyone want to wager on how long it'll last? Two episodes?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to like it because of the large Arrested Development cast, as well as the AD producers, but I think I only laughed once, and I don't remember at what.

3. dougzx9

dougzx9 Wish I were here

I watched about half of it before I had to turn it off becasuse it was so boring. I did like the mix of animation and live action though.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I kinda liked it. The animation was pretty good too, considering how it's made.

5. Rewind

News Credits:
    That's one of the things so mind-boggling to me is that AD people were involved (one of my favorite television shows ever) and it didn't have even the smallest speck of that style. Maybe I'm too harsh though, maybe "I need a catch phrase!" really is as funny as they obviously wanted it to be. :|

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, here is a question for you. Does that show "Better off Ted" have the same producers as AD? Because if any show has the same feel as old AD it's that one.

I'm going to give this a few more showings because sometimes it takes a few episodes to get up to speed. I'm doing it for Will.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I caught the last half of it, and am glad I missed the first half. I might give it another week, as pilot episodes tend to be weaker in general but I do not have high hopes here.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    I don't know anything about Better off Ted, haven't seen it. I'll check it out though!

I may give this show another chance, but the last time I was this turned off by a show it was Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and repeated viewings only made me hate it more. :\

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    My conclusion for that mind-boggle is that the AD people ment for this to almost be a polar opposite. AD was so well done but treated so poorly by Fox and the American TV-viewing opposite that they decided to create something that would either be more low-brow and accessible for the average viewer or it's their spoof on what is successful but low-quality: ie catch-phrases.

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say there is a lot of AD feel to BoT, but I am really loving it anyway. AD was a more "natural", pseudo-documentary style production, while Ted aims at a slicker presentation - the dialogue and performances evoke the old screwball comedies, while the music and constant breaking of the 4th wall make the whole thing feel like a promotional video.

In a weird way, Better Off Ted feels like Muppet Labs turned into corporate sitcom.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This.

Although at this point I am not expecting too much. The first episode of AD was fun, and I was a life long viewer at "there's always money in the Banana Stand". Hopefully this just needs a few more episodes to find itself.

12. Rewind

News Credits:
    Heh, I loved the Family Guy episode but that could be bcause I agree that "Everything is better with a bag of weed". :p 

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit that Happy Faces in the Simpsons had me rolling. Especially when the robber shot the cop and the little happy faces were spilling on the ground and making a huge puddle of happy faces.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It had its moments, but mostly because of the exceptional cast. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I don't think it'll last.

15. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Actually the creator/executive producer of "Better Off Ted" is the same guy that did "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" (now out on dvd). The shows feel amazingly similar is style and tone (one of the lab guys from Ted was also a character on ARCTU).

Ha, yeah it does have that kinda vibe to it :) 

As for SDSU, ugh. Like a black whole of comedy where no laughter can escape. It felt like it was trying so hard to be humorous and was just falling flat again and again. I really disliked it, so no more for me thanks.

16. Rewind

News Credits:
    GAH! I didn't know ARCtU was out on DVD. I really need to pay more attention. Although I was sad to see his show cancelled, I'm happy he's teaming up with Conan again. It's probably not the direction he wanted to take his career back when he left Late Night, but at least he's got a solid gig now.

So, it looks like Sit Down Shut Up was good for something after all: Spreading awareness of Andy Richter. :D 

17. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I think I watched the second half of this show, and already it looks like it's gonna suck. What really shocks me is that Tom Kenny of all people's in this show.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That whole 90 minutes was a waste of my time. I should have built my light box instead.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Simpsons was ok, SDSU I gave up on halfway through, and FG I gave up on during the musical. God I hate Seth when he goes off on one of his political crusades like that. Takes all the funny our of the show. Only part I actually laughed at was Wally, the weatherman, when he was high being real calm.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Yeah I thought it was super boring and am severly disappointed that as many people on the show that were involved with SNL and/or Arrested Development would be on something this unfunny. I only hope future episodes will be better(can't do much worse), but I don't expect this show to last more than a handful of episodes.