Fan Art: Siso Tablo - cheap tablet PC alternative!?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Venksta, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yo fellow radicons! I stumbled upon a cool gadget yesterday. Its called Siso Tablo. Its like a "too good to be true" product. It basically converts your laptop screen into a tablet PC! Basically, you put the sensor bar on top of your laptop screen, and then use the stylus to configure the size of the screen, and your on your way. Its also suppose to have pressure sensitivity. Most of the reviews I've read have been very good for paint/art programs.

This version is suppose to only be for laptops with up to 15.4" screens, but I've seen people getting it to work great with bigger screens. There is also a PC version coming out as well later. Might be worth checking out. I found it on sale yesterday, and put my order in. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Product page:

HANTECH

Video showing it in action:
    YouTube - HOW TO USE SISO TABLO

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only thing that concerns me is the magnet, as magnets aren't great for monitors. I think this is certainly a step in the right direction, though! Thanks for sharing, bud :thumb 

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Yeah, that's one thing that worried me as well. The magnet might end up doing something to the Laptop that you don't want it to.

However, i have one more concern: In the end, when the guy's talking about it not scratching the screen and stuff, and he does actually touch the screen, as you can see by the ripples and distortions around the pen, and while i'm no computer nut, i still don't believe (and was taught never to) that touching the screen would be a good idea, especially if he's putting that much pressure on it to cause distortions in the image.

However, i think i just found the perfect gift for Christmas... :cool: 

Also, Venksta, where'd you put in your order? I can find from the site linked many other retailers and distributors, but not a shopping function on the site itself.

semi-off topic: BTW, Venksta, be sure to tell us when you get it, whether it works with 3D CAD programs, as it might come in handy over on Shapeways. Oh, and the accessories (especially the shield adapter) are cool.

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Didn't think about the magnet part. It seems like a weird design flaw. I'll have to be careful when I install mine.

I know laptops have a protective screen shield on them that desktop lcds don't. I think that is why this works for laptops at the moment?

I ordered mine from NCIX, a local computer and parts store. I think they ship outside of Canada. The tablo was down $49.99 the other day for their black friday sale($29.99 after mail in rebate).

NCIX.com - Buy SISO Tablo Notebook Tablet Conversion Kit USB2.0 White W/ XP Vista Support - TL-01W1 In Canada.

I don't use my regular tablet with Softimage XSI. I never really looked into the benefits of using a tablet with a 3d application. But I'll look into it.

Btw, I've replied to your post on Shapeways. :) 

5. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could alwase try sticking it to the back of the screen using some of 3M's "easy to remove" mounting tape, its supposed to come off without leaving a residue. 3M Mouting Tape

Even though I do not think the magnet will cause much harm as long as it isn't a rare earth magnet "or neodymium".

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe, but I wouldn't take the chance. I've seen monitors that have been negatively affected by the magnets inside of computer speakers (not big ones, but the average size that comes with a desktop bundle). Ruining a monitor for a desktop is one thing; messing up a monitor to a notebook is quite a different story.

Aside from that, it looks like a pretty neato thing. I think I'm to the point with digital illustration that my little Wacom tablet serves the purpose just fine, though. :)