Single Mother has 14 children through vitro fertilisation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smkspy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Not 14 at once, but 6 before and 8 now, but all through IV.

I heard this over the radio today, and originally I thought it was a joke. But WTF? I think this has got to be one of the strangest and most horrible things that I have ever heard in my entire life. Can't help but really feel sorry for those children and the grand-parents.

I guess my main thought is, "Eight is Enough"... right?

Mother of octuplets had all her 14 children by IVF - Telegraph

Mother of octuplets had all her 14 children by IVF
    The mother of octuplets, who already had six children before this week's headline-grabbing multiple birth, is single and conceived all 14 babies through in vitro fertilisation, her parents have revealed.

By Philip Sherwell in New York
    Last Updated: 7:17PM GMT 31 Jan 2009

Doctors at the Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center in California where Nadya Suleman gave birth to the world's second live-born set of octuplets Photo: AP
    Nadya Suleman, 33, has been obsessed since her teens with being a mother and had eight embryos implanted because she wanted "just one more girl" to add to her existing brood of six children aged two to seven, according to her mother.

"And look what happened. Octuplets. Dear God," Angela Suleman told the Los Angeles Times four days after her daughter became the second person in the US ever to give birth to eight babies at once.

She "is not evil, but she is obsessed with children. She loves children, she is very good with children, but obviously she overdid herself."

Miss Suleman and her children live with her parents in the Los Angeles suburb of Whittier and even her long-suffering mother sounded exasperated with her daughter's fixation on surrounding herself with children. "I wish she would have become a kindergarten teacher," she said.

She also said that she disapproved of the decision by her divorced daughter, whose former husband is not the father of any of the children.

"It can't go on any longer," she told Associated Press. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way."

There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter did not want them destroyed so she decided to have more children. Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses, but she refused.

Allison Frickert, a friend Miss Suleman, said the mother-of-14 was not seeking potential fame or financial benefit. "There was no overriding situation, other than having more children to love," she said. "Her whole life, she couldn't wait to be a mom. That was her No 1 goal."

She once told another neighbour that she wanted 12 children. "She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school [college] at the same time?'" Yolanda Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."

It was also reported that all 14 children are from the same donor, a neighbour, who unsuccessfully asked her to stop using his sperm after he got married recently.

An ethical debate is raging in America about why so many embryos were implanted in a woman aged under 35, particularly if the doctor or clinic involved knew that she already had six children. She only started to attend the Kaiser Permanente clinic, where the children were born, when she was three months pregnant and her mother said she does not know where the IVF procedure was performed.

Attention has also focussed on the cost for a single mother of raising 14 children. Her parents filed for bankruptcy with liabilities of nearly $1 million last year, but Mrs Suleman said she has now paid her debts.

Her Palestinian-born husband, the children's grandfather, has said he intends to return to a contractor's job in Iraq as a translator to help pay for their upbringing. Ms Suleman, who worked as a psychiatric assistant until starting her family, is on welfare payments.

A spokeswoman at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Centre said the babies were doing well and seven were breathing unassisted. In a statement issued through the hospital, Miss Suleman said she was "ecstatic".

The eight babies - six boys and two girls - were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces.

Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries, when only seven children were expected.

2. Shakira

Shakira Well-Known Member

This is absolute crap! talk about a tool...
    Just think we are paying for this du*b sh*t to breed like a rabbit. Dont get me started about how I feel I will get kicked off the boards :eek: /

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, WTF? How is this ethical?
    Color me shocked.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Not a math expert I see?

;) 

5. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    My Mom talked to me about this yesterday, and I, like her, see no problem with this woman Deciding to keep/have all those Children. I honestly don't see why everyone is up in arms about this situation in the least.

6. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

really? do you think any of those children will get enough attention from there mother having to compete with 13 others, and where the hell is the money going to come from to raise them all?

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The state should take away the welfare from the woman for abusing the system to the nth degree, but that's just going to punish the children more. Honestly they should just take away her ovaries so she can't have any more kids and make her work 20 hours a day to support all her babies.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My issue is that she's trying to get freaking corporate sponsorship because of this. She's exploiting the children. That's my issue.

9. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Simple, because we as tax payers have to shell out the money to support her dumbass and her children. If she had millions of dollars and wanted 20 kids then more power to her. I'm sorry this is just another case of someone thinking that they will be "taken care of."

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Well, given that she's got 20 Kids to care for (half of them are old enough to look after themselves for a time while she tends to the infants), I seriously don't see how her attention is going to go to one group more than the other. In concerns with the money she got paid for having the children (if I got that right), there are her family members to consider; they all seem eager to help her with the finance problems that come with twenty children.

That and she can get a job later on, if possible. And if she was really that worried about being without a husband, then she'd go find herself a man who would want to be troubled with more than eight or five kids. I'm not seeing a problem here. If she's really that determined to be a mother to all these children, then she'll work something out.

11. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I come from a family half the size, and I think it's bad...

12. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    It's a miracle!

13. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

First off, she doesn't have 20 kids. She has 14, 8 of which are the newborn Octuplets in Intensive Care because they were born early and severly underweight. Her other children are 7, 6, 5, 3, and 2 year old twins. Those kids are not going to be helping raise the new octuplets or even able to look after themselves. As for family to help her, her parents are basically bankrupt.

As for getting a job... show me a job that will pay well enough to have day-care for 14 kids. Simple answer is she isn't going to work... she's going to milk this story for every dime it's worth. Personally I hope she gets nothing, and stuck with the medical bill also.

And finally on her being a "mother" to these children. Ask anyone who actually has kids. They are a huge time investment, I myself have 3 and that in itself was sometimes a struggle to make sure each one got an equeal amount of attention from myself and my wife. And we were 2 adults dealing with only 3 kids. 1 person dealing with 14 children under the age of 8... or hell even under the age of 10, isn't possible.

And finally, to those that think there is nothing wrong with this. Then you, and I use "you" as a loose term can help support this woman and here kids. Because neither her nor her family will even be able to deal with the medical costs of these kids.

14. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

This woman is a prime example of someone who should not breed. Honestly, why would you want even one more child when you are already on welfare? I'm surprised she was allowed to get the procedure done let alone pay for it. Her kids will probably become criminals and rapists since they'll be growing up with a mother who cant even begin to care for them, and no father to even dream about.

15. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Whoa. That's terribly harsh. The mother deserves the digs, but not the children. You have no idea how they'll turn out, and having that mentality before they have a chance to live their lives won't help their situation.

At the very least we should have hope for these kids, they're gonna need it.

And it's bad enough when we have people starring in a show about their 17 kids (I think 18 now...), now we have a single mother cashing in on the multi-kid bonanza. It's just going to get worse.

I miss the days when people weren't a commodity. Oh wait...

16. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    You just know she's looser than a five year old's tooth

17. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    She has 13 too many...

Really, we've got enough over population problems.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    When I first heard the news about Octuplets, I thought, huh. Medical Science story. I did wonder why there was a news blackout on her identity though.

Then it broke that she already had 6 children, through IVF. Alarm bells started ringing, why the blackout? Surely its not because she's going to sell her 'story'?

Now we have a name. I tried looking for a picture of 'Nadya Suleman' on google, and all I could find are pictures of talk show hosts who are bidding for her story.

She is on welfare, and is actively being helped by her parents. The Grandmother Angela Suleman filed for bankrupcy last year, and now the Grandfather must go back to work in a pretty dangerous environment to try and help afford these kids? Whatever money she gets through these idiot talk show host will last what? A couple of years? 5 at most? Then what?

Crazy. Totaly crazy. These kids will not have a decent life. AT ALL. Brangelina can do what they like, they're both LOADED and have a stable home environment. This Woman has neither.

What I would like to see happen? Take 12 of the kids away and put them in care. Investigate and press ethics charges on whoever performed the IVF. Was she infertile BEFORE her first brood? Was she single? Seriously, who would IVF a single mother without a partner for support? Ask questions like that.

Harsh but this whole thing is a serious mistake that will only come back and bite everyone in years to come.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  19. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Excellent. The best post yet.

20. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

john and kate plus 8 plus 1 plus 1 plus 1 plus 3