Since everyone complains about negative topics here...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If they would have just gave him the money, no one would have been shot. And gun shots would not have to have been fired in front of small children. The fact that shots were fired is probably more traumatizing to kids than if the clerk gave the robber the money and he would have left. Douchebag firing gun in crowded restaurant is not a hero. my 2 cents.

3. Goldbot

Goldbot Deceptibot-predimal

I agree.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, I agree with that. There's absolutely no way that the kind of person who was willing to enter an occupied restaurant with a gun intending to rob the place would ever have shot anyone if he was given the money.

I mean, that would just be unbalanced. And nothing about the story suggests that the guy who entered an occupied restaurant with a gun intending to rob the place was unbalanced. There's no evidence of that at all.

And if they'd just given him the money, there's no chance at all he would have ever robbed ever again, much less shot anyone while robbing them. Because shooting people is crazy, and there's no evidence to suggest he was crazy.

The citizen who shot him, on the other hand--what was he thinking? You can't just go around killing people. That's completely insane.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh, me too.

Those kids are far more traumatized than the kids at Luby's in Texas.

If only the citizen at the BK in Miami had let the robber go about his business, he might have killed some of those kids parents like Hennard did. Then they wouldn't be traumatized by growing up with rules and discipline and the trauma of seeing an innocent armed robber shot and killed. :D 

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    We have police officers for a reason. Let them handle it. They are trained for situations like this. Not some John Wayne douche with a gun. I guess i should put it this way. If i'm in a restaurant with my kids and a robber comes in, i give him money so he leaves. That way my kids or wife don't have a chance of getting shot and killed. People are more important than possesions or money. But i guess it's easier to be tough a thousand miles away from what goes down.

7. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    yeah because cops really care about piss ants fast food robbers anyways. It's not like they had a great chance of getting the guy. How I look at it if me or more importantly my family was in grave danger then I will do anything to stop that from happening. Now instead of him going to another place and another one and terrorizing more people it ended there.

He is a good Samaritan in my book.

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I really applaud the guy for being brave and heroic like that, and I do wish him a speedy recovery!

The cops wouldn't have gotten there in time, but I agree it's better to just let them have what they want and let them go. Sure, you have the rare case of a psychopath who is just in there to kill some people and maybe off him or herself afterwards, but most likely they just want to take what they're there for (money) and be off. If people start getting aggressive, their instinct is going to kick in and they're going to panic when they're in a situation like that and people are going to get hurt.

But still, the dude was brave and I'm glad it went relatively well. It takes a lot of courage to stand up to an armed robber like that!

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely. The police would have undoubtedly gotten there in time for them to intercept any bullets the robber decided to send to the staff and customers of the BK. And that is the job of the police, after all. To prevent crime BEFORE it occurs and to guarantee protection to all citizens, rather than just investigate crimes afterward with the goal of obtaining arrests and convictions.

And if you give the guy the money, there's no chance that your wife and kids will ever be shot and/or killed. Because if you give a man with a gun money, he's automatically never going to shoot you. Ever. It's part of the rules and it's fair, and people who enter restaurants with guns intending to rob the place always play by the rules and are fair. Hell, "entering restaurants with guns intending to rob the place" is practically a synonym for fair.

You're being very negative about my positive story, though. I was happy that despite this crazy man with a legal gun that he was legally defending himself, he didn't kill anyone's wives or children. That's a nice change of pace from all the depressing stories people post here.

* Oh, far as me being tough a thousand miles away (and this next part is getting old, I know, but it's just so apropos), I was a line medic with an infantry unit in Iraq. So yeah, it is easy for me to be "tough" (ie, sensible) about what happens a thousand miles away, 'cause I went through it thousands of miles away already.

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, say your there , and the john wayne douche tries to pull some shit, gets killed. Then the gunman turns around and starts shooting up the joint. How do you feel about that guy now? If he just would have not done anything, the robber may have left with the money without harming anyone. Sure he would have gotten away, but people would be safe. I do understand the other side of the argument as well. These robbers do not think straight, so sometimes they do start shooting people, but more often than not they don't. It's all about what if's i guess. Maybe i was to fast to jump the gun on the john wayne douche.

11. Deceptikitty

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man, you are really nailing it here!

Right now, we have one example of a "John Wayne douche" who could've gotten people killed, and your totally reasonable hypothetical situation focusing on what could've happened rather than what did.

To really convince those crazy people here who think shooting armed robbers is a good idea, you should post a bunch of examples where someone tried to defend themselves, failed, and subsequently forced an otherwise harmless armed robber to freak out and kill people. Because (as we both know) that's what usually happens. I think you just need to post a few examples (three or four should do the trick) to convince all those crazy people here.

13. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    it's always different each case though, whether the robber is off his nut or very calculated, and everything in between.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Uh, of course you should give them your valuables. Because (as I already pointed out), once you cooperate, they're not allowed to shoot you. Plus, if you don't cooperate with them, it prevents the police from arriving in time to safely defuse the situation and protect you.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:

I don't know the more i think about it, yes i guess the guy is to be commended. But if things went a bit differently who knows. As i said in another post it's all about what if's. My apologies to you on being "tough" and thank you for helping this country abroad. I guess when i think about my family being in the situation, i get a little peaved. Sorry for being narrowminded.

16. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    not allowed to shoot you? Right.

Once they get it if they are a cold blooded killer they could shoot you right there. You do not know that at all.

Again it's always case to case but don't just automatically assume that once you give them your stuff that "they're not allowed to shoot you."

17. Deceptikitty

I think your sarcasm detector is broken...

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Bryan with a period, you are entertaining me.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you argue hypotheticals, you have to acknowledge them all. Not just the one you're biased towards. Yes, he could have hit bystanders, yes, he could have failed and triggered (hahaha get it?) more violence.

But the robber could've decided to kill every single witness there.

And if I have to lay odds on who's more likely to kill people, I'm inclined to bet on the one who's already demonstrated a complete lack of respect for the social contact. And while I understand concern about your family, look at it this way. Given the rate of recidivism and the fact that very few armed robbers only commit one robbery in their career, him doing this has ensured that there is one less person out there who is likely to break into your home and harm you and your family. It's not just about the BK. It's about the people that are at risk down the road when you tolerate "just let him get away."

Incidentally, FL requires that you demonstrate competency with a firearm before receiving a permit. So this guy seems likely to have had more training that the robber--which is supported by the fact that he managed to kill his target, while he was only wounded.
    Uh, did you read the link DK posted? The police in Rockford said to give the valuables away. Come on, now. You can't argue with the police.

Besides, not shooting people after they give you stuff is an immutable a law as the mulch underneath my parent's deck in Peachtree City being lava. Because it is, y'know. Lava. You can't step in it, you have to use the rope swing we hung from the joists. My brother died in the lava hanging that rope swing.

RIP Lil' Squirrelcar. :( 

20. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: