Sin and Punishment on the Virtual Console...it SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Alright, I'm gonna be brutally honest right here. You know how Sin and Punishment for the N64 in Japan is now out on the U.S. Wii Shop channel? Well, I decided to buy it with a new Wii Points card today from Target, thinking it SHOULD be worth the $12, along with Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels and Bomberman '93 on the TurboGrafix-16 (the latter two of the three are good games, BTW). Anywho, I buy my shit on the Wii Shop channel, download the games onto my Wii, and start playing some Sin and Punishment.

And lemme just say this.

Sin and Punishment SUCKS.

There, I said it. I'm not kidding, it's just f***ing bad. Go ahead and throw rocks at me for being the ONLY VIDEO GAMER TO HATE THIS GAME. How IGN is able to give it a 9.0 is beyond me. So, let me go in depth with what I know about this game.

Well, from what I can understand, this is a game that's set in the future, where genetically mutated animal insects known as Ruffians assault mankind. Judging by the artwork and the voice acting and the story, it's definitely anime-inspired. But let's not talk about the story, per say, but rather what really pisses me off about this game: the gameplay.

The controls itself make the game challenging. It's kind of like Starfox 64, only you're on the ground, shooting at giant insects, and you can't stop running. That's right, the game makes you go forward, and you can't stop it, meaning that I'm bound to run into a wall or something. There's three different controls, and to me, they all look ridiculous. So, I'm gonna go with the one that doesn't involve the D-Pad. The only buttons that let you move are the L and R shoulder buttons to strafe left or right, respectively. Oh, and get this, press the L or R button twice, and you can do a roll. Like that helps. A button is to jump, and you can double jump, but that won't do you any good. B button is to shoot, and that's what made me not like this game. What's wrong with using the ZR button on the Classic Controller? Or the Z button on the Gamecube controller, really? And the control stick is the worst of all. Instead of moving Saki (the main character), you move only the crosshair that lets you shoot. Speaking of crosshairs, you press the x or y button on either the Gamecube controller or the Classic controller to switch crosshairs to lock on to your target. To me, that's ridiculous also. It should follow what LOZ: Ocarina of Time did. Lock onto your target with one button, and press another button to keep it locked. Or something, I dunno. Overall, the controls are just TOO F***ING DIFFICULT! Even the tutorial mode is a pain in the ass to handle.

Another thing about the game is the difficulty. It can either be normal, or easy. Well, when I turned the game on, I was a n00b to this, so I set it on easy. Easy my ass! Even with the least sucky of controls, the game is still a bitch to play. UGH! And there's tons of enemies to shoot, like a thousand creatures coming at you, and you have to save yourself by shooting everything that moves. It's challenging enough, but when I'm fighting a boss, there's so much shit flying at you that you have to worry about your own hide instead of worrying about beating the boss. And having to constantly change crosshairs from normal to autolock or whatever it's called, it's simply hard when there's a lot of stuff trying to kill you.

Bottom line: this game is HARD. REALLY, REALLY, F***ING HARD. No wonder this game never came to the states 7 years ago; it was just too difficult, both the controls and the difficulty! You'd have to be a god to play this game with ease, because I suck at this!

2. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

Just because a game is hard, doesn't mean it sucks.
    Ikaruga was fucking hard and I had to beat it on easy mode with a large amount of continues. The screen was FULL of bullets on some levels and you had to constantly change polarities in case you touched a wrong coloured bullet. This was on easy mind you where when you defeat an enemy, it doesn't shoot out bullets like in normal and hard modes. It was hard, but I still enjoyed the hell outta the game.

Yes, the controls on Sin and Punishment are hard to get used to. I use the control scheme with shoot being left trigger, jump being right trigger and movement with the d-pad on the classic controller. Took me a while to get somewhat comfortable with it, but I didn't care because I had so much fun slashing and shooting every single thing that came my way. I had a big dopey grin on my face when I first played it because it's been almost 6 or 7 years since I first heard of the game and I wanted to play it badly back then. Now I have that chance.

It's an on rails shooter...it has to be hard. At first it's hard because of the controls, but that goes away when you start to pick up the patterns of the enemies. Then it just gets hard with the mass amount of enemies and missiles flying towards you. But you can swat those back by using your sword and free aiming at another target.

Tell me, do you like other games in the shoot em up genre like Gradius or R-Type because if you don't like those, this was a wasted 1,200 points for you.

3. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I stand firm to the to each there own logic, and I for one have enjoyed the game its the kind of old school hard that we rarely see anymore. The controls can be a pain to master but I just think its part of the challenge. But I think its an interesting little game and I'm glad it has come out. I am also sorry you feel you wasted 12,000 points on it. All I can really suggest is if this drove you insane then don't download any r-type games on the wii you'll be having massive fits

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I said wow.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I vote for locking Eric in a room for a week with nothing but Defender cabinets for entertainment.

6. McBradders

Clockwork Orange style.

7. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Well if it's hard, then you don't enjoy it, thus not being fun and you end up not liking the game.

And Eric can have his own opinions on anything he wants, so don't go bashing him if he doesn't like a game, even if everyone else likes it.

I'll take your word for it and not download it.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the game doesnt actually suck, he just sucks at the game. he says so right here:
    Sin and Punishment, being a game made by Treasure, is pretty much guaranteed not to suck.

Yes, it's kind of hard. gamers have been spoiled in recent years with games that hold their hands every step of the way. some games are for the hardcore audience, who grew up with games kicking their ass over and over and loved every minute of it. the games that do this are often my favorites. when I beat a game, I want to feel like I actually beat it, that I acomplished something.

9. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's no more hard than Gunstar Heroes or Star Fox 64 -_-; You just have to get used to the controls...

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Also being a Treasure game, it's almost guaranteed to be really freaking hard. Those are the two qualities to expect from a Treasure game.

Oh, and I've played the game on a real N664 before, and it definitely doesn't suck. It only sucks if you can't stand losing and having to practice. If being mediocre at playing video games is a sin, then Treasure games are the punishment.

11. McBradders

I see what you did there.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This thread is making me want this game.

13. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I love Sin and Punishment. I had already moved on to the Dreamcast(Import) by the time S&P came out so I never got to play it. It is awesome.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sounds like I better try this game out elsewhere before blowing $12 on it. Too bad, I was looking forward to it, due to the reviews.

I like a challenge, but this sounds like a bit much, and it doesn't really sound like my kind of game anyway.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    its not anywhere near the difficulty Eric makes it out to be.

16. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

QFT.

I got through at least 4 stages before dying on my first try.