Simulated Sunlight fluorescent lamp and yellowing plastic?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Golgo-013, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

I just bought a Sunlight full spectrum lamp with a Sunlight 27W fluorescent bulb. The actual bulb name is FML 27 6500K Daylight.

Its a really nice lamp, but the documentation doesn't really say anything.

Does anyone know if this will yellow my plastics the way real sunlight does?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I would bet you a lotta things that it can yellow your plastics. Not necessarily as fast as actual sunlight, but that isn't exactly something to live with *L*

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If there's any way to mount it to the lamp, get a piece of UV filtering glass to put in front of the bulb. UV is the main cause of yellowing in plastics, and if you can filter out the UV from light, it may not completely stop the yellowing, but it will slow it down considerably.

They use UV filtered light in museums with old documents to protect them from aging, so it should work for toys.

4. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    My g1 jetfire, that sat in direct sunlight never yellowed. The one I had in my climate controlled basement, did. Go figure.

Better safe then sorry though, and get some kind of UV filter.

5. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Well just to be safe I probably won't use it for my work light. thanks for the help.

6. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Speaking of yellowing, I just pulled out Armada Jetfire, and noticed (just barely) that one side of him is white, one is slightly yellowed. He was with other figures in a cardboard box for storage. What on Earth would cause that? And no...no light got to him. =\

7. Night Flame

Light's not the only possible culprit, which is a common misconception. Smoke is a HUGE factor. If you or someone around your toys smokes, there's going to be yellowing. Nothing can stop it. I used to work in a computer service department, and computers coming in from smoking houses were always yellow. Even the painted metal would look yellow.

Other possible culprits:

1. Certain types of dust.
    2. Certain types of molds.
    3. Chemical sprays. Like air freshener.
    4. Cleaning agents used around the toys.

And there's all sorts of other possibilities. But really, the only way to prevent yellowing altogether is to prevent the toy from ever being touched by the air, and keep it in the dark.

In your case, a toy in a box, one side yellow, one side not? I'd guess settling of some sort of airborn agent. Smoke, or chemical of some type, settling through the cracks in the top of the box into the inner portion.

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Unfortunately, yellowing is a fact of life. I've tried many different ways to prevent it over the years, but nothing seems to work.

9. TSFC

TSFC Banned

:(  Thanks for the info. That's giving more to think about now. Doggone it.

Well, fortunately the yellowing isn't bad. And even if he went yellow completely, it wouldn't be that big of a leap. He's kinda eggshell white as is.

10. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

While on the subject of light, I've been rather paranoid about this! Do regular light bulbs cause damage? Or is it just the florescent? Also in regards to sunlight, it's almost impossible I've found to block it out completely. No matter the blinds, drapes etc. I havent found a practical way to block light completely out. Does the glowing light that seeps through window coverings hurt anything? I am not talking about direct rays, more so the ambient light.

11. Night Flame

Yes. What matters is the spectrum, but no matter the spectrum, all light causes dammage. It's just a matter of degrees.

Florescent actually have the potential to cause less dammage, again, depending on spectrum. Whatever you do, don't use a Metal Halide light to light up a toy collection. That's the equivalent of sitting the toy out RIGHT UNDER THE SUN at all times.

Yes. I have a toyroom at home that's completely blocked from direct light, and the only light getting in is the light seeping around the outside of the shade. In about six months I had noticeable yellowing on a Yamato 1/60th VF-1 on the white plastic bits on one side. And this was clear across the room from the window the light can seep into. So, yeah, even indirect light can cause dammage.

As I said, the only way to completely prevent yellowing is to seal them away from the air and put them in complete darkness.

Funnily enough, sometimes you get lucky. I had toys that lived for almost sixteen years in the attic and somehow not even the whitest of the white had any yellowing. Meanwhile, the toys that were out in the open in the house yellowed horribly in the same amount of time, and they had been kept out of the light at almost all times except when I was in that room, which wasn't often. So it's a case-by-case basis. But if you're looking to prevent dammage, block light, and block pollutants of all kinds. Smoke is one of the worst culprits, but air fresheners will only make that worse.

Get 'em all sealed up, or paint them all with that UV protectant stuff. I've thought about getting a bunch of that lined up for my white toys, but haven't ever gotten around to it. I don't know if it would scrape off of joints, but at least you could block the main panels from getting yellowed via light.