Simple Question - Flames

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I know there was a lot of hating going on regarding the flames on Optimus Prime. I would just like to know: if you didn't like the flames, why not? Curiosity simply.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Because flames equal hell!!!!! Just kidding, I liked them, dont know what all the hoopla was about

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Eh, I didnt have problems with the flames or should I say I dont have problems with them.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

The flames really didn't bother me. That was one of the few things about the movie that didn't bother me at all. Haha!

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Bay should put those spinning rims on Prime in the next movie. And then set them on FIRE.*

*I swear I am just joking. OR AM I? Yes, I am.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't care for flames on any vehicle...just too cliche and tacky...of course if I ever get my Harley, I will probably wind up putting flames on it. there's a ton of accessories that you can get!! LOL

But it didn't bother me too much when I was acually watching the movie.

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I think the biggest problem was that it took a traditionally stoic, sensible, wise and stern character and tried to shove a 'modern badassery' onto him that wasn't really needed. Prime has never been the type to try and stand out based on visual appearence, but in effect that's what flame paint-jobs do, make something stand out.

That said, though it certainly makes him different from other Primes of the past, it certainly didn't bother me at all. The flames and chrome looked *really* good on his truck mode and in bot mode they were barely noticable. Had it been my choice, I wouldn't have used em, but in the end, they weren't all that bad.

8. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Because flames don't belong on Optimus Prime, it just doesn't make sense for his character. It's the same reason I never quite accepted the new 08 Camaro mode for Bumblebee. Prime isn't a show-off riceboy, he's a dignified leader and it's hard to look dignified with X-treme flames (!) painted all over your body.

I remember the writers comparing Prime to Shakespeare or King Arthur... somehow I think if King Arthur was around today, he wouldn't paint his armour with stupid flames decals in order to impress the 15-17 year boy old crowd.

9. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flames looks shitty on Optimus. It should have been on Rodimus instead but he's not in the movie.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I had no problems with it. Some people really looked for reasons to not like the movie.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Didn;t bother me at all since a) it didn't stand out all THAT much, b) EVERY freightliner I see around has some sort of gaudy pinstriping, flames or detailing that looks MUCH worse than the flames on Optimus, and c) This isn't G1, and I can accept change.

12. nightboomfer

nightboomfer SeƱor Member

Don't blame Prime, he scanned the first passing vehicle he found!:tongue: 

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I just thought the flames were tacky, given the character they were used on. In the end the matter for bugger all, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that they looked tacky as hell.

And for the record, none of the freight pulling trucks I've seen around have those designs on them, usually they're a solid colour or painted up in the company paint scheme.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I will never understand why there (and I guess is but not so much now) was so much controversy over this. On the toy I can see a bit were the flames maybe don't fit as well but in the movie quite frankly I wouldn't have even noticed the flames until people made such a big stink about it.

15. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Never bothered me. I liked the fact they added *something* else to him to make him stand out even more than the rest of em 'Bots. Like mentioned already, this isn't G1. And anyway, there's no other character with flames in this continuity to rival this incarnation of Optimus Prime design-wise yet. He looks great, so whatever.

I would have thought Megs not being a gun/cannon would have drawn more controversy than this though.

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, all those fifties and sixties hotrods with flames are sure horribly cliched ricers! Oh wait.

And Prime's flames weren't "X-treme" in that they weren't tribal patterned. They were more the tradition flames you'd see on something all the way back to the sixties style hotrods, just different colors.

I personally don't understand how the flame controversy even came into being. I remember when the first pictures surfaced people declaring that the entire movie was already a failure just because Prime's alt mode had flames, and I didn't get it then any more than I get it now. I think it worked for the Prime of the movie continuity. And even if it hadn't, it's not like that one painted detail could destroy the entire film.

17. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    The flame design on Optimus Prime didn't bother me and I hardly paid any notice to them unless they were gleaming on his crome finish in the sun. Then I said "Oooh, pretty!" and then they went unnoticed again. [Shrugs].

18. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never noticed.

19. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

That's an oversimplification of things. I hated the flames, and I'm as progressive as the next fan, even more so than most and I often get criticised for my anti-G1 views. I can accept change, that is to say, I can accept the changes that are for the better.

I loved the movie fine and dug most of the changes they made. But the mouth and flames on Prime were pointless to me, and were examples of changes for the worse. I don't like how people tend to black-and-white the whole movie thing. It's like if you don't accept and adore every change they made, then you're a G1-purist and can't move on past 1984.

I know the movie wasn't G1 (Thankfully!), but that still doesn't justify the flames to me. I'm just thankful that they aren't as "in-your-face" in the movie as they could have been. Imagine a new Batman movie, only this time Bruce Wayne's suit is hot pink... but people should accept it and not criticise it for not representing the character properly, because this isn't the old Batman, and they should accept change...

20. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Uh, no. Not the same. I'm someone who really liked the movie, but have found several things that I didn't like, I honestly have to say that there's no negative to having Prime's faceplate be something he can put into place, or remove in times he doesn't need it. And I certainly don't see why the flames are considered a negative change. Prime's red and blue, and when you see him in robot mode, there's no question who he is, regardless of the flames and the faceplate issue.

If Prime had been brilliant orange with ridiculous lime-green flames, that may have been a prob. . .wait, actually, that would have rocked my world completely.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007