Simon Furman Ready To Be Back With Transformers G1 Issue #81, Time For Support!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 31, 2011.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Could be very interesting. It'd give IDW incentive to republish #1-80. But I don't see it making sense from a business perspective to have two G1 series at the same time. It'd split the fanbase and therefore profits.

3. Pac_tim

Pac_tim Urban Achiever

Please please please!!

My childhood died a little the day that the Marvel run ended. A revisit to it would be an impossible dream for me.

4. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Consider there isn't much support for the current "G1" ongoing, I say give this one a shot. The nostalgia factor alone would win some people over. I trust Simon Furman's story over anything Costa has to offer.

5. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Never been a big fan of Furman's. Even less a fan of continuing a continuity that's been dead for a few decades. It'll be more stories about characters we can't own representations of without spending exuberrant cash for G1 bricks.

I'd rather something new, something based off the current running classics/generations series with a new author would be great.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    This needs to happen. No, it MUST happen. I would be at the comic shop on release day, buying my copy.

IDW, I will buy every issue if you make this happen...

...as long as you don't kick Furman off halfway through.

7. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

If there are good enough stories and ideas to justify it then fine.

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I understand they were basically fucked almost right out the gate on the G2 comic, but I really don't dig SimFur's attitude towards GeeToo.

On the subject of #81, bring it on!

9. RubberChicken

RubberChicken Well-Known Member

I very rarely buy comics anymore as I think they are overpriced for what they deliver, but I would likely be on board with picking these up if it were to happen.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Honestly? I stopped reading Costa's G1 story after loyally following Furman's "-ation" stuff for years. If Furman were back on a book set in the G1 continuity family, can I do less than become a loyal reader again? I had a lot of criticisms for Furman's "-ation" stuff, but now that McCarthy and Costa have given me the worst case of indigestion I've ever had, I'll take Furman's vast predatory birds any day of the week.

But honestly? I thought the G1 series does not need to be revisited. The story is over. Finished. Issues 1-80 ended in a way that felt complete, and G2 felt like a worthy sequel. I would like to see G2 continued, probably the events of Alignment told in a comic book or animated movie, but that story is done too. It would be like continuing the Godfather series. It ended.

I would well and truly prefer, however, if Furman is given respect again and allowed to continue his story from where "Spotlight Sideswipe" left off. His US G1 run was finished. G2 continued that story and, even though it ended on a cliffhanger, the story felt whole, and a continuation would just be surplus to requirements. Furman's "-ation" series does NOT feel resolved. It feels like a TV show got canceled and we got an inferior new show and are told to like it. Therefore, if Furman wants to revisit old stuff, I'd strongly prefer that he reap the whirlwind and earn the reader loyalty back from Costa and McCarthy.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That would be incredibly awesome.

12. Splintershot

Splintershot Predacon?? ... Awesome

They may bring back that old G1 comics?! THIS MUST HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY!!

13. polystyleneman

polystyleneman Well-Known Member

Could be very interesting to see.

14. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    They way I see it, it's working fine for G.I. Joe; both series have been running concurrently for a while and both are doing fine. The concept of the multiverse is pretty well established in Transformers and comics lore for it to be greeted with little more than a shrug of the shoulders. As for splitting the fanbase, I don't believe that's too much of a concern for IDW or Hasbro. Fans of G1 aren't always fans of the other series and vice versa.

Profitability isn't going to a problem either. Fans of the original Marvel run will return as well as general G1 fans. That, and comments like this:

Hot Shot here is not going to be alone in that sentiment. And besides, profits are profits, no matter where they come from.

As for me, I'd buy it. It could be a lot of fun.

15. Ultra Ginrai

Ultra Ginrai Well-Known Member

He's damn right about the Marvel G1 series being more "timeless" than G2. The G2 comics is just garbage, always has been, and hasn't aged well with its dated early '90s 'tude.

16. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So...the Autobots are Action Masters, Grimlock can't transform anymore, Ratchet, Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave and Galvatron are probably alive now and Optimus has HiQ inside of him, making him a half Autobot/half Nebulan hybrid. Will we see Donny Finkleberg, G.B. Blackrock, Circuit Breaker, the Neo Knights, Walter Garnett, Triple I, RAAT, The Mechanic, The Spacehikers all grown up and other human villains again? Will Skids be back for more carwashes?? Is Jake Darlymple going to get his newest ride trashed by a TF again?

Is the 12 issue G2 series out of continuity now?

I loved those stories as a kid, but can you really pick up after all that's happened? There's going to be a bit of resurrecting going on. It could be lots of nostalgic fun though.

I did like the whole Spike Witwicky as Fortress Maximus: Defender of Earth bit from issue #79. And we need more undercover Jesse walking around with Blaster...:popcorn 

I would so get a Generations Blaster based on his G1 comic look and personality. Blaster vs Grimlock FTW!

17. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Meh, that story is over. I'd rather him do something new in the idw verse

18. Onslaught Six

Onslaught Six Well-Known Member

NO.

NO NO NO NO NO.

There already was an issue #81.

It was called G2 #1.

If you're going to continue the series, do it there. Don't just ignore G2 as if it never happened, because it Goddamn did.

19. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
  20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's a lot of potential there:

Bludgeon leading the Decepticons on a mission of galactic conquest
    Autobots rebuilding Cybertron after nearly losing the planet to Unicron
    Fort Max, Ratchet, Galvatron, Megatron, Starscream and Shockwave marooned on Earth

Erector could lead a crew of Micromaster Autobots to rescue his comrades and salvage the Ark.

It could be fun!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011