Simon Furman November Q&A

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  2. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Interesting points there. But, kinda bummed that there wasn't any real collaboration so that McArthy's AHM and Furman's established storyline would connect better. Yet, I have some hope that perhaps AHM will at least reference what has happened in the -ation titles, even if it's just one line.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I gotta stop reading this stuff. I just makes me even sadder that we got AHM instead of a full-fledged Revelation/Expansion.

4. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Only stuff I wanted to find out about had to do with the thirteen.
    Glad to hear they're still working on it. I hope they take their time so not too screw up anything.

I also hope the club combiner is not overlooked.

edit: Making Alpha Trion on of the thirteen would make things kind of messy.
    Since we already have more than one of him.

5. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    I need t find out more about the thirteen.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Jumping Jehosophat!
    After all the crap that All Hail Megatron threw out the window I am trying to figure out where anyone fits in the IDW/TF-verse.

I am nearly halfway through All Hail Megatron (and considering not going any further) and there are so many unexplained resurrections, format changes, etc. that it is hurting my head.

But the main thing that proves how craptacular it has been (and this has nothing to do with Shane's ignoring Simon's previous work) is that the Decepticons conquer New York (possibly just Manhattan Island) and this somehow means they have won the entire war across the cosmos.

GRUMBLE
    Patiently waits for Maximum Dinobots...

7. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW should quietly disregard AHM like Marvel did with the 'Gwen Stacy having the Green Goblin's kids' story. Anyway, I can't wait for The 13.

8. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Perhaps AHM will end up being set in an alternate universe/timeline. That would be nice and would explain a lot.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must be out of the loop, because I was under the understanding that after AHM, we'd go back to Furman's *tion series.... what the heck happened?? I thought he was doing a great job...

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Gah... wish I hadn't read half of that. Seriously, it only makes me sad that we got the crap that is AHM (crap that I could not continue to read at this point) instead of the epic plans that Furman had for a full blown Revelations/Expansion series. I mean... there's so much that unexplained and so much that will probably never get explained unless Furman can attempt to tie it in when he eventually takes the reigns back from Shane (seriously, it needs to happen). I mean... we'd already established the only combiner as Monstructor and, suddenly without explanation... Constructicons can merge into Devastator in AHM... sorry, I'll just stop now... this is irritating me.

11. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shane's work in AHM is so much more appealing to me than the crap that Furman puts out. Furman is a has-been and I'm tired of him trying to dominate how the various Transformers-verses evolve. Thank god for Shane.

12. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

On its own, AHM isn't the worst thing I've ever seen - it's just incredibly frustrating to see the slash-and-burn approach to continuity, particularly one I was enjoying. If it were an alternate universe story, I would have enjoyed it well enough.

I understand that Furman's style is not to your taste, but do you honestly think that McCarthy's stuff is good, or is it just closer to the way you like to see TFs portrayed? IMO it's passable at best, and only because people are so involved with the characters already that they can sort of fill in the blanks.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

This, ftw.

Please.

14. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

If you like it, great. Personally, for me, it's...
    :puke2: 

Seriously, if something interesting doesn't happen soon, I'm dropping it, in the middle of an arc or not. And is Shane is writing whatever comes next, I'll skip it.

I very much hope they put Simon back in charge.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Wow. While I have to applaud the man's candor, this Q&A really just confirms how badly Furman was screwing the pooch (figuratively) on his IDW continuity, and let it totally get away from him.

Unfortunately, Furman was treating it like a series he would confidently be writing into perpetuity... that is to say, taking his sweet time developing his storyline, making it ever more convoluted, pretentious and labyrinthine, when he should have been paying more attention to consistency and character development.

In the early days, I would have been counted as one of INFILTRATION's more ardent supporters, but I became steadily more disenchanted with Furman's writing.

By contrast, I am truly amazed at how much my impressions of ALL HAIL MEGATRON have steadily improved with every issue. The first issue was awful, the second passable, and it's recovered in leaps since then. I don't think I've ever reversed my opinion on something so quickly or so radically before, but Shane's treatment of character, mood and detail have impressed me quite a bit.

It bugs me that continuity between Furman and McCarthy's runs wasn't more carefully observed, and I confess that I really did like the basic setting of Infiltration, but at the moment, I'm happy to see where Shane takes this. It's like watching a good TF writer blossom in front of you, and it's kind of exciting.

I do really miss EJ Su though.

zmog

16. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Did you even read the interview?
    Or did you just pop in to flame Furman?

I don't mind you liking AHM, but wait until it's relevant to post.
    Although I think he may have made a mistake in thinking IDW was his forever, thus maybe planning his story too far ahead, instead of working on each of his mini-series being self-contained, I don't think his story ever crossed the line between 'convoluted' and 'multi-faceted'.
    This may just be you wanting a change, which is perfectly understandable, and may not be that Furman is bad.
    I just find AHM, with the Autobot 'characterisation', getting increasingly tacky and silly. The characters still feel very flat for me.
    I'm kinda miffed that the galactic war with the Decepticons was kinda forgotten during Devastation. Bring back Infiltration units!!!
    Who doesn't...
    Out of curiosity, why don't you sig this?

17. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

sadly my view is like most peoples. I would hope that IDW retroactively claim that AHM is a different continuity. It just doesn't fit with Simon's established work and obviously no effort was made on the contrary. If AHM works for IDW, fine. Pursue it. but not under some ridiculous facade that it is somehow connected with previous IDW fare. Simon may have made the mistake of planning his stories into perpetuity but at least i knew that i enjoyed them. I don't even know how AHM is gonna turn out, with the basic premise as some have pointed out (that somehow claiming Manhattan is claiming the galaxy) is ridiculous. Here's to hoping for Maximum Dinobots and The 13 bringing back the old IDW-verse into form.

18. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

AMH isn't bad... isn't that bad anyway but they should have just said from the get go its a reboot, diffrent universe, what ever as frankly they have just made a mess trying so half arse to tie it to the orginal IDW universe.

19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well.... I was so disappointed with AHM that I stopped part way through the series. I'm very disappointed that he's not allowed to continue what he started.

If it turns out to be an alternate reality and Furman's stuff is intact, then all is forgiven...

20. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    I totally disagree. Crap? I don't think so.

And i don't think Shane's work is crap, it's just different so i don't hate on any of the guys that are working so hard to make a good comic.

Sorry I'm not too updated on TF universe stuff but I always thought AHM was a different universe thing. But now that i know it isn't... everything is so confusing. And the fact that earth is practically "losing" makes me feel a bit weird that it's supposed to tie in with everything. I always thought in a general sense that the Autobots were steadily keeping control. The AHM thing is super radical but still pretty cool