Simon Furman interview from AAE 2011

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SmokescreenSWE, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    During Auto Assembly Europe 2011 in Uppsala, Sweden, I sat down with Simon Furman to talk about his role in Transformers mythos. The following is the result of that interview as well as a presentation Simon made that weekend. While he obviously couldn’t say much concrete about issue 81 and onwards, he gave lots of intriguing examples of things that might be revisited.

While the interview was partly made to introduce him to my readers, there was also some neat stuff you have or may not have heard about regarding #81.

Simon Furman interview at Auto Assembly Europe 2011 | The Bearded Nerd

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    great stuff about them using the older art style. I would have been disappointed if these books jarred with the originals. Can't wait!

3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good interview, thanks. I've always been a Furman fan. However, he is being very inconsistent when he says things like "once it's there in print you should stick with it" and "I'm not really a fan of retcons" when he's completely ignoring the entirety of Generation 2. It wasn't some of my favorite stuff, either, but it happened.

4. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting interview. I have high hopes for the continuation but have we had a decent explanation as to WHY THEY'RE STOPPING AT #100?!?! To my knowledge, Larry Hama has no such restriction on his 1980s GI Joe continuation. I suspect sales for this title will be rather strong, so I'm not sure why they'd curtail it before it's even got underway... or should we expect a "due to exceptional sales we'll be ongoing..." announcement?

As for Ultra Magnus being used - YES! YES! YES! Just don't ignore his UK storyline to date, ok, Mr F...?

5. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I learned, Ultra Magnus will continue his story from the UK storyline but as this is a continuation of the US series, there won't be anything that requires you to track down those issues.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There may not necessarily be any 'restriction' from IDW, it could just be that Furman's planned out the story he wants to tell and that story only needs issues 81 - 100 to be told.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he's used, Wildman needs to give Blaster his old comics head back. Blaster was awesome in looks and personality before Starscream killed him, and when he came back they made him look like the cartoon (still comic colored though) and he wasn't half the bot he used to be (in the few lines of dialogue he gets, anyone could have had those lines).

8. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I wonder if "dead means dead" refers to Ratchet.

9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to wonder if Blaster might be one of those characters who isn't among Furman's favorites. All of Blaster's best moments came from Budiansky. I felt like Blaster was only there at the end because he had an Action Master toy and was therefore mandated to be there.

10. Tux Chaos X

Tux Chaos X Spades Slick

But he's not retconning G2, much in the same way that "Classics" doesn't retcon it out either. Furman's probably well aware of the whole multiverse angle and thus likely realizes that what he's doing here is basically yet another branch-off point from 80. A retcon - as rare as they are in TF - would be more akin to actually stating "G2 never happened, my story is now the truth", and again, it doesn't seem to me that that's his attitude coming into this project.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's the feeling I got too. Just like the TFWiki captions, he wasn't brought back because he was badass, it was because he had a new toy. He became a poor man's Perceptor. I would LOVE a core team that consisted of Optimus Prime, Jazz, Ratchet, Blaster, Bumblebee, Nightbeat, Siren, and Grimlock. All some of the most highlighted characters throughout the US run.

Yeah, see, a continuation beyond G2 wouldn't interest me. Some of my favorite characters were offed (Nightbeat, Fort Max) and I just didn't enjoy G2 in general. It didn't have the right "feel" for me. This, on the other hand, is right up my alley.

12. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah. Furman ending at 100 appears to be what HE wants to do. He wants to give the series a better ending - wrap up plotpoints here and there and such.

Curious though how it'll mesh with G2 - obviously, Megatron, Ratchet, Starscream and Fort Max have to be sidelined if they want it to.

13. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Incredible interview.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Which is how it should be.

Ultra Magnus disappeared without reason in the 'present day' (1980s) stories whereas 'future' (2009) Ultra Magnus apparently died during Time Wars.

15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You must've missed the memo - Furman has confirmed that this continuation will completely IGNORE the G2 series.

16. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Who cares about G2? The Bard says "it's over, finished!" then fine by me. People we're getting a proper ending to the O.G. comic (the best part of the franchise) in the same art style and written by the same guy...holy shit:)  I can't wait for this to start up. Here's hoping that sales are strong on this run. Who knows, maybe it will never end;p Anyway G2 can always be our Dallas moment where Bobby was never dead. It was all a dream. lol

17. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One!

Ebay:
    I hope "retro style art" means something similar to Wildman and Baskerville, and not Geoff Senior. While many people loved Senior's style, I found it very bland and simple. Wildman and Baskerville's style also allowed Nel Yomtov more depth in his colouring.

18. Groundsplitter

Groundsplitter Decepticon

Since Wildman and Baskerville are working on the continuation, that's exactly what it means. :) 

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is why I love the guy. And this is why Marvel G1 blew Sunbow G1 out of the water.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Great little interview that brought back some good memories of the old stuff. If I had my way, every TF comic would be written by Furman and drawn by Geoff Senior. For my money, no one has ever better captured the power and dynamism of the original cartoon while still maintaining his own completely unique style than Senior. Unlike the work of many of his contemporaries, he made the characters actually look like robots while still giving them a lot of personality. He drew a hell of an Action Force, too.

About the continuation series, while I enjoyed the G2 comic, I don't mind them ignoring it. I really hated to see Fort Max thrown away like that (not to mention, Spike.) I hope we get involvement from all the Headmasters in the new book.

And about ending with #100, I think that's a great idea. It gives them a reachable goal, it helps make sure each issue is vital and has a point, and if the series is as popular with TF fans as I think it will be, they can always do another run at some point in the future. Maybe take it to #125 or something.

Cannot wait.