Simon Furman Blogs about the Revelations Saga

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by BB Shockwave, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More info from Simon's blog:

http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/revelations/#comment-3269

Apparently, this isn't the end of the '-ion' storyline, thank Primus. There is still more stories coming set in this continuity in the future, plus ther is also his 'The 13' project...

Apparently, Revelations WILL wrap up the Dead Universe story, though. A bit too abruptly, if you ask me, we hardly even saw Nemesis Prime and Jhiaxus until the last issue of Devastation.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I wonder if he had to adjust his stories (or totally rewrite them) due to All Hail Megatron.

3. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    One thing seems clear: no Expansion ... at least for a while.

-airfox

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Ah, so the -ion will carry on.

5. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i wonder if the sub-numbering will continue

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Honestly, finishing up the whole Dead Universe saga in just 4 issues seems like it'll be incredibly rushed, short of miraculous writing. This is mildly disappointing...

7. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad that the new series is coming relatively quickly and not some 6 month hiatus inbetween. I do hope the same is true for the series that follows this. The slow pace of the stories combined with the slow shipping/delays has often affected my enjoyment of the series. I have found that in TPB form, these are much better reads.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm. Seems rather rushed I think. Why the big focus away from what's currently going on? I'm begining to wonder if Furman's being forced to make quick changes due to IDW putting a book he didn't write in as part of the canon (All Hail Megatron). Oh well... I just hope it either carries into the background plots of the new series or something, because all of this doesn't seem like it'll all get wrapped up at all... there's just too many loose ends to be tied up.

And what comes after All Hail Megatron?

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I have to say that I've been getting disillusioned with Furman's writing lately.

With the way the Dead Universe has been built up, I'm sort of expecting something as epic as Crisis on Infinite Earths to wrap it all up. If 4 more issues will do the trick (and let's assume All Hail Megatron involves the Dead Universe too), then we'll have about 10 issues left to resolve this plot thread. That means we're already about 80% finished with the Dead Universe/Nova Prime arc. Doesn't feel that way, does it?

It simply doesn't feel like we're near the end of a big plot development, but more like we're still waiting for something.

That, and don't forget we have to include Jhiaxus, Grimlock, Galvatron, Thunderwing (?), Bludgeon (?), Soundwave...too much!

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Continuity errors upon continuity errors very soon folks. And it won't be the fault of the writers.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly.

See, if Revelation just concludes the whole BUILDUP to the Dead Universe saga, with Nova finally making his move at the end, that would work fine. 4 issues is plenty to do that well.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Cool. We seem to be on the same page here.

I just found out "All Hail Megatron" is 4 issues. So let's take Grimlock's Spotlight, and the 4 issues of "Revelation" and "AHM," and that means we're 9 issues to a conclusion of some sort. That means we're just about 90% done with this current arc. It really, really, really doesn't feel that way.

A problem with Simon's writing, and this is roughly his third time showing this...is that he's GREAT at introducing ideas. He's GREAT. I like WWI Volume 1, I enjoyed his G1 work, and I LOVE G2, but he's consistently shown that he writes stories in 2 acts. Introduction, buildup, then...er...cancellation.

It would make total sense if "Revelation" finished the buildup of the Dead Universe plotline, so that once the next giant arc begins, we'll be seeing Autobot vs. Nova Prime battles n stuff. But I'd like to see some stories finish. A great sign of the good Batman stories (Year One, Hush, Killing Joke, etc) also introduce and continue plotlines but are worthwhile stories on their own.

So far, the only "closure" we've had was the death of the Reapers, which I believe was more of a "FINALLY, those annoying jackasses are dead" feeling instead of a "BOO-YA! BADASS CONCLUSION!" feeling.

13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you in part. However, I don't think Simon is bad at resolving storylines... Take Target 2006, Time Wars or the Unicron saga (in Marvel G1).

The problem is, today's comic books, especially smaller companies like IDW cannot afford to make a comic into an ongoing, and force the writers to do epic sagas in 4 or 6 part format... which is NOT Simon's style... he usually builds up epic sagas by telling us seemingly unrelated stories and yet in the end they'll all tie up to the big event. When he's left to work in such a format, it really shines (see Marvel (UK) or the DW Armada-Energon comic).

However, a 6 or a 4 issue story... the conclusion is often rushed. I felt this way with Infiltration and especially so with the BW stories which would have been better as 6-parters, at least.

I don't understand IDW - the TF comics are selling really well. They could afford to at least turn the main storyline (G1) into an ongoing...

14. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    These books look really cool but I need to save my money.

15. STL

STL Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are they?

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/sales.php

Scroll down and check out the dwindling sales figures. They are doing anything but well.

I do agree with sentiments expressed in this thread that Furman's work has been underwhelming. I think the stories don't stand up on their own. If I were not a hardcore G1 fan, I wouldn't even bother with this comic. Pacing and development has been minimal. And storytelling has been rather convenient at other times.

One of other key problems about this book is accessibility. It really isn't. Many of the spotlights that are relevant to the present storyline happened over a year ago. If you're casually picking this up, it's really going to throw you or appear to be lazy storytelling.

The payoffs haven't been great either as BB Shockwave and Lord of Tetris have pointed out.

I think that the sales are at least a reflection of that. Even the faithful G1 fans aren't sticking now. Other comic books with a strong core of followers maintain consistent numbers like Spider-Girl, Manhunter, Birds of Prey, Cable & Deadpool etc. They're low but consistent.

IDW's TF sales aren't consistent. There's a downward trend and i really do hope the hype that they're building will break that trend. I like TF comics, good or bad but they do need to get better and more accessible.

16. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to say that my biggest problem isn't the storyline in general, but that the individual issues don't hold up on their own. I pay almost $3 at a local comic shop for an issue and get absolutely nothing. If I wait until the arc is released in a trade than I pay $15 and get something. Infiltration is the only arce that I actually bought all the comic issues to... every other arc I've bought the TPB, because the individual comics have fealt like a waste of money.

Now, I'm not sure if that's Furman's fault (I agree that his writing has been somewhat bleh of late and that his 'payoffs' haven't been that great either) or if it's IDW's constraints on the series... Furman is honestly better when he's left alone with an ongoing series to fleash things out for himself... his UK run and the Matrix Quest/Unicron arcs really show this. To me, it honestly makes very little sense that IDW is only doing little mini-arcs when the main storyline should at least be ongoing... if they want to do the Spotlights and a couple of minis (Stormbringer worked well as a mini I think) than that's fine too, but the main storyline should be told in an ongoing comic.

Edit: Looking over the sales figures above it does appear that the comic sales seem to fluctuate greatly. It's not a downward spiral, but it does seem inconsistent. As one month it will be high, the next month will be low, the next low and than be high again. Actually, I'd like to see some sales figures as to how well the trades sell myself, because I wonder how many people are like me and just wait for the trades to come out?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  17. Prime05

Prime05 Active Member

as far as i can tell, the sales for this arc have been pretty consistent since infaltration ended. Besides, this is projected sales from one distibuter and also, who cares? The IDW Transformers G1 story arc has been a fresh look at a story that has been retold countless times for the last twenty-some years and all you guys can do is bitch about it because it makes you feel smarter. It's losers like you that keep the comic book industry from getting back to the profits that it use to bring in. This title has been canceled how many times? But, yet there has always been someone who was willing to spend their money and work their ass off to give us what we want, and all you guys can do is complain. Well, when the series is gone, again, I'm sure you will be the first ones to complain then, too. How about you all go get lives!

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    William Shatner is that you?

19. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's because the individual issues of the '-ion' stories cannot be self-contained stories due to the 6-issue format, they have to move the plot along. But this isn't the problem of IDW only, take the DC comic "Gotham Underground" for example, we hardly ever get anything interesting happening in an issue and yet they have to end each one with a cliffhanger. As I said, if the G1 line was an ongoing, we could get one-issue stories like the DW Energon issue where Tidal Wave kidnaps Ironhide to unleash weapons of mass destruction and we get a glimpse into their past... Simon is very good with such stories. But here, he has to shelve these ideas, or make Spotlights out of them, but lately, ever since Spotlight OP, even the Spotlights seem to be about moving the main plot along and less about the character (Arcee, Optimus Prime), though there are some that aren't (Blaster for example).

About the comics not selling well - Transfans board member Yaya (known as Commander Shockwave elsewhere) ran a quite comprehensive listing of IDW comic sales, in general and by comic issue too! See it here!

20. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's generally been my thinking too. He has to move the plot along so you don't see a lot of character growth and new characters are shoved in without any real background given (unless they've had a spotlight). Like, when Hot Rod shows up at the end of Escalation you're like 'oh, so that's where he went after his spotlight' and you already have a good idea what the character's like and some idea of his past, but with Hardhead you're just like 'oh, cool, but I know nothing about this version of the character' and even after the events of Devastation I still know nothing about Hardhead except that he was cool with leaving Hot Rod on Earth alone while he got Wheeljack out of there (at Hot Rod's request of course).

Thanks for the link BTW, I'm going to have to look that over. :thumb