Simon Furman and Andrew Wildman discuss Transformers Regeneration

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tokuformers, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it can be compared to B-4 in Star Trek Nemesis. Data died, but his memories were transferred to B-4, essentially making him Data, as seen in the 2009 Trek prequel comics.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I've been rereading the US G2 comic the last few nights, a few issues at a time (from the great Titan reprint series of 2002). Storywise, I like it a lot. More than I remember doing, actually. It's just the art that holds it back and makes it a little tough to push through. Geoff Senior shows up towards the end of the second volume, and his bits are like oxygen after holding your breath underwater for 5 1/2 minutes. I wish IDW could have Senior could re-draw the entire 12 issues by himself, and then have the series re-colored. If that could happen, I think the G2 storyline would stand as one of the greats.

3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Transformers: Mememaster

News Credits:
    I've always liked G2 storywise. It had some pretty interesting concepts, and Megatron actually came across as quite calculating and threatening as opposed to unhinged as per his usual portrayal. I liked his 'evil laugh,' too.

The resolution to G2 was my only nitpick, though. Prime overloads the Swarm with the 'goodness of Primus' whilst 'dying' in the process. Sounds awfully familiar...

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Yeah, I've got to give him credit for this,,,:drool: 

[​IMG]

One aspect of G2 some of you whippersnappers might not appreciate in hindsight is that TF at the time was a DEAD PROPERTY.

Beast Wars wasn't even on the horizon yet. Machine Wars was a pretty half-assed line in it's time and THAT hadn't come out yet.

G2 (the toyline) was in some ways an aborted DOA relaunch. By the time the comic got going I belive that it's cancellation was announced as the first issues were being created. The joke was that Jihaxus's name came from "Gee,,,Axe us!" a phrase that came up in an early staff meeting.

So with nothing to lose and really the end of a franchise on the horizon, Simon just decided to KILL EVERYONE. Why not? It's gritty, it's 90's, and no Hasbro overloards to tell him to kiddy it up.

At the time, it WAS conceivable that this was the "end of the story" period. (Unicron was dead after all) But like Chris Clairmont, Furman couldn't resist a good cliffhanger ending, so he tossed in the Liege Maximo at the end as a joke.

Historical perspective is all.

5. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    totally agree

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Liege Maximo.. Is now something that has influence on much later stuff.. so its odd haw he caught on to some extent but not so much The Last Autobot.. and how many people seem to have forgotten that Prime died and then was resurrected via HiQ.

I bet it didn't even cross hardly anyone's mind if they read the Funpub marvel derived Classics comicbook (the one with Weirdwolf in) that Classics Optimus being a new body again leaves so very odd questions unresolved as to what's happened to HiQ and if actually a Evolved/Reformated Nebulan was actually the Autobot leader for months or years during that Period ? - and they all accept it with no argument.

Very odd.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Well very few (if any, IIRC) actually witnessed Hi-Q's transformation into Prime.

It started just before Unicron's arrival so nobody was much paying attention to a fleshy claiming to be Optimus Prime.

Perhaps it's just a simple matter of, nobody actually realizes Prime is Hi-Q. (Only one with a clue might be one of the medics durring Optimus's next repair/physical)

8. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

I kinda wish it wasn't a "20 years later" kinda thing. The ending to the G1 comic was super abrupt. Also kinda sad that G2 isn't going to be included in the continuity. I hope they include G2 characters, at least.