Customs: Silver paint build up

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rogzilla, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been too long!

OK, so I have begun working on my Leader Prime. Exciting! I decided I am not going to go Chrome with him, but rather just use straight silver paint.

Here is where I am running into trouble. I tried brush painting the visors and the flat part of the bumper with Testors MM Silver. I notice that there a lot of paint sort of gathering around the rivets. With the visors, I busted out my new airbrush and it worked great. But I did it on the grill area and I just didn't like it at all! It just didn't gel right for some reason.

So, if I am just painting flat silver with a brush, is there any trick I should be aware of? Should I dry brush it on, say over a midtone grey? I suppose, at the root of this, and I am sure it is going to be an obvious answer, what is the best way to paint metalic paint flat on a smooth surface was rivets?

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a trick?? Wasn't aware of this... Did you try thinning it out?? Also, what type of MM paint is it? Enamel, lacqure or acrylic??

3. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Yes, i Think you need to thin the paint with more paint thinner.

4. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    It was acrylic and thanks. I knew it was going to be one of those "duh" things but my brain just wasn't work.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're painting with silver acrylic, you can always use Future to thin your paint some. I've personally never been too fond of acrylic metallics, so I switched to enamel metallic paint. Simply using paint thinner with enamels is helpful, like some have already said. I've found both types to gunk up quickly, but there are ways around it :) 

I hope that helps some :) 

6. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    It does, Superquad7. I think I will just have to experiment to find the best way that will work for me.

I have never used Future before but it seems to be, from the way everyone speaks of it, the Almighty in liquid form! I will deffinately have to pick some up. It is a type of floor polish, is that correct?

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It sure is. If you have any questions regarding Future, just access the article in the "Tutorials" section. :thumb