Silver / Gold Leafing ?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Aug 8, 2007.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I worked in the sign industry for a many years.

We regularly added gold or silver leaf to signs, because the finish is unmatchable. If the base is smooth enough, it's the closest you can come to chrome...VERY shiny

It's an easy process as well. I think eventually, I will make a tutorial how the process works.

I am wondering has anyone tried this yet? and if so, how were your results?
    Local art stores (even Michael's) carry small leafing kits, and they aren't too expensive. End result = you have REAL silver or gold, and an incredible finish that is very very durable and long lasting.

[​IMG]

2. Monkey-Hands

Monkey-Hands Turntablist

I only have seen people eating that stuff or drinking it in Champagne. But that´s a really cool idea to get a superb chrome look. :D 

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I've used something similar for parts that are fairly flat and not a lot of recesses.

I wanted to use some on my Classics Optmius' grill. I ran into a problem of getting it into all the recesses without it tearing.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    *chants* HOW TO! HOW TO!

5. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Yeah I tried it a few years back... I don't think I had the touch because it just would not cooperate with me. It kept flaking before I could even get it on the item I was trying to "chrome" and when I would try to put it down and smooth it out it would stick more to my fingers or the tools. It ended up being very messy.

So please, a tutorial would be nice. A video tutorial would be even better.

6. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    I've tried this a few times but dislike it because you have to put down glue first and that almost never sticks well to the plastic, leaving the leaf to wear off or flake. It's great for craft work tho and awesome for doing something like a movie-prop AllSpark.

However if you want to chrome hard plastic, this is the way to go. http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome_show.htm

Lay down a gloss black base and this stuff turns into a mirror finish. Seen it used up close and it really does work. Should be sealed with a gloss coat afterwards too. It's expensive so I'm going to snag just the can of chrome and supply my own gloss black and sealer.

7. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That is some impressive looking stuff.

8. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:

I have done gold leafing on a church with my fathers masonary business before. The dome and cross at the top of the belltower. Came out very pretty and shiny as hell. Also a tedious process in my opinion. It is actually refered to as guilding, yes? I have thought about doing a few bots with it. But the adhesive glue would make some parts rub too much, and complicate transformations. Not to mentin the fact that some guildings and fare a pretty penny. If you do happen to do one let me know how it turns out. My father has plenty of the 23 and 24 karat gold leafs left I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yes. actually spelled : gilding. I am gonna post a HOW TO in the am.

10. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I a m with you. The spray can it great, but for anyone who has an airbrush, it is sold in a 4 oz bottle called chost chrome. The only problem with this, is that if it is not on a SLICK!!!!BLACK!! SURFACE, it just looks more like aluminum. Aslo, there are adhesion problems sence it has to be on a slick surface. So what ever you do, do not put tape on it if you use it. I have learned the hard way.
    As for leafing, I have wanted to try it. I am still scared to. The "size" that holds it down, takes some getting use to.

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Sounds like using Bare Metal Foil would be similar to the gold/silver leaf, and easier too. BMF is awesome stuff.