Silly shipping question about MP Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Paper Mariowned, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Anyways, On the Ages 3 and Up website, it says Megatron is being shipped for $6.00, which is quite a steal. How come every other site, and eBay wants $40.00 alone to ship him? I couldn't really see paying $30.00 more just for something to show up a week earlier, am I missing something? Or is Ages 3 and Up a Canadian site?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ages three and up has no intention of ripping you off, or getting extra profits from marked-up shipping prices. that's my guess.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Most of the stuff you're seeing with shipping prices $30+ is because you're buying from someone IN Japan, or Hong Kong, or somewhere else over there. It costs a lot to ship something that big and heavy, thus the difference in price.

The catch is that the item price is almost always significantly lower as well. This is because the US or Canadian based store that you buy from has to have it shipped to THEM, and they build that cost into the price you pay before shipping. So, you're effectively paying two shipping prices...the retailer's, and your's. Generally, it is almost always slightly cheaper to buy direct from someone over there, at worst about the same. You can buy MP Megatron for $60-70 with $30 shipping easily, or you can buy him for $95 with $5-10 shipping from a more local dealer. Even though the shipping intially sounds like a big ripoff at first, you have to look at the price of the item itself too and realize it's not so bad after all.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Bingo.

5. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Most auctions on eBay are $30+ for S&H because they list their toys for cheap and make up the money on S&H. It's easier to sell MP-05 at $100 + $30 S&H the it is $120 + $10. Most people see $100 to be more attactive then $120...

6. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Heh, certainly sounds like it. Some good deals on that site!

Wow, good point! Yeah I did infact notice the Japanese/Hong Kong/other far away Country sites had a very large price for shipping, which I understand, $20.00 isn't too bad a shipping price for some of the things I've bought way overseas. And I never even thought about companies having to order it to them before they ship it too you.

Explains why they compared the WST's to a Toonie :D 

Yeah i've seen people do that a few times. Almost fallen for it a few times too. Saw a Megatron Knock Off, coulda Bought it Now for $12.00....catch was the shipping was like $30.00...which isn't too bad. My Megatron is in need of new parts, poor buggers missing his chest in robot form.

Thanks for the answers guys :D  Guess I shoulda just thought about it first beforehand, but sometimes it got me so damn curious :dunce