Silent Hill - The Movie (Possible Spoilers Inside)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Sep 11, 2006.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow. I just watched the movie Silent Hill last night, alone, in a dark room.

Not only is a movie that can creep you out, but it pulls on your emotions through the hole spectrum. If you don't cry, or feel sad, in certain parts of the film then you're sick.

For those who've seen it, what do you think or feel of the movie? What about the ending, or the characters in it?

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Well, the only way the film makes any kid of sense is if you're familiar with the games in tyhe series. However, it's not a bad popcorn fright movie.

Chalk me up as sick though, as I didn't even come close to crying or feeling sad, I don't see how anyone could.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it a lot. However for such a damn fine actor, Sean Bean's American accent is laughable.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I loved it visually, but it didn't pull at my emotions nearly as much as the plot to the Silent Hill 2 game did. I read a review that recommended leaving the theater when the screen turns white at the end of the hospital sequence. I wish I had. Everything before that was incredible, but afterwards it all goes downhill very quickly.

5. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the movie very much so and i like how it stayed with the game but yet didn't. The ending was AWESOME though espically when the barbed-wire went straight up in the ladies ***** and then ripped her in half.....that rocked. But the thing I like the most is how it left it WWWWIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEE open for another one.

6. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

Yeah, what part did you cry about? Pehaps maybe....your sick?

As for a movie I thought it was garbage. Sure it had some really nice visuals, but that doesn't make a movie.

7. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Actually, I don't think he was supposed to be American in the movie.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Visually great. Some terrific scenes. But as a whole... pfft.

My biggest problem was that the end unfolded like a videogame. The main character runs and jumps and battles her way through the obstacles, and for her efforts is rewarded with a big cut scence that explains the mystery. Such a think works for a game, as you are the one being rewarded. But it's not so satisfying when you watch someone else play the game.

9. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I thought how poor Alessa was accused of a witch, and burned at the stake as a witch, because of blind faith was sad.

The only person who came to her besides her mother was that demon who brought forth her nightmares to punish those who hurt her.

As for it leaving open for a sequel, yeah, I was a bit disappointed in that. The ending made you think that the father, Sean Bean, might try going to Silent Hill to find or join his wife and daughter. I liked the female cast, and even though she died in the games, I thought Officer Bennet should've lived in the movie.

Watching the movie makes me want to go buy a PS2 and the whole series from PlayStation on. I rented and played some of the games, and when you play the game, it pulls on you so much more then a movie can.

Even though they may be cliche, and a bit overdone at times, I LOVE a good game to movie translation and I thought they did a marvelous job with Silent Hill. But, some games like Super Mario Brothers should've NEVER been made into a movie. Dennis Hopper, as King Koopa?!? Puh-leeze!

10. flamepanther

They're better on PC and XBOX. Even the PS1 game has details that you can't see at the original PlayStation resolution. You want to play it at at least 800x600 to see everything. A truly ambitious game, limited by its original hardware.

11. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I have no doubt about the visuals, but I like experiencing games (for the most part) as they originally were.

But, Resident Evil on PS1 and the Gamecube remake (with better graphics) are a bit different. Each has their own strengths, and weaknesses, but overall are good games.

12. flamepanther

In that case, play Silent Hill 1 on the PS1, and Silent Hill 2-4 on the PC or Xbox, as that's what they were made for, and downgraded for the dominant platform (PS2). It makes a huge difference in graphics and atmosphere, and atmosphere is half the point of the game in Silent Hill.

13. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I loved the film right upto the 'explanation' and the craptastic ending after it.

Brilliant atmosphere, but the ending felt like it could have been soo much better...

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I'll disagree. The movie makes all KINDS of sense to me, and I've never so much as seen the box of the games. Blind faith leads to horrible, stupid things, and those horrible, stupid things come back to bite the faithful in the ass. How does that not make sense?

I didn't cry either, though my wife did. It didn't really pull me into the plot enough to cry over it. I felt it, and saw the sadness there, but not enough to cry.

Funny thing, we just watched this over the weekend for the first time, and so this thread hit me at just the right time. I thought it was pretty much an awesome movie. And I do hope there is a sequel. Wifey was frustrated with the ending, but it made a certain sense, and left the door open for the next story. Awesome.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
  16. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I thought it was a pretty good movie,and damn good for a videogame adaptation. I loved how similar some parts were to the games;it does almost make me want to go back and play them again.

I also agree that the first half was better than the last. There was so much strange/frenetic action then all of a sudden it dies down and becomes more dialogue than anything. I really want a sequel to come out to see where they can take this series.

Just a question for devoted silent hill fans. I've played through the first 2 but I'm a little fuzzy on the details because its been years since I've played either one. In the first game do you play as the mother? I was pretty sure in the second movie you played as a man who was looking for his dead wife. As for 3 and 4,I have no clue what their plots were. Can we get some clarification on those?

17. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

The First one you play as Harry Mason arriving in Silent Hill and his attempts at finding his lost daughter, Cheryl........

The Second one your James Sunderland, who had received a letter from his deceased wife that led him to Silent Hill........

The Third one has you as a teenager named Heather as she uncovers the mysteries that surround her past - including her own link to the haunted town........this one ties into the first game...........

I have not played much of the Forth game, so I know nothingas to what thats about.

Oh and try some of the IDW comics or trades, they are pretty good with some oh so good artwork. imho

18. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

The only Silent Hill game I ever played was The Room and I was mostly confused with it all. It didn't really scare me or make me want to cry. Maybe I need to play more video game.

19. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

How about the part where that innocent little girl was burned alive by a bunch of religious phychos? When I saw her hand move as the guy was carrying her, I almost cried, and I'm not an emotional person.

I enjoyed the movie - it wasn't great, but I enjoyed it.